PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use an accountant???

chewy sweets
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm really not good with figures and the whole accounts things really scaring me. Should i get an accountant to do everthing for me? Are they worth paying for???

sweets
05-10-2009, 08:05 PM
i was dreading doing the accounts side of minding when i started, but i use the NCMA accounts book and it easy! it tells you everything you need to do and once youve done it for a couple of months its easy to fill in.
when my tax form came in april i put it off for a while then set aside an afternoon to fill it in, it took me about 20 mins! there is literaly only a couple of boxes that you have to enter. its very easy! even for a thicko like me:laughing:

I wouldnt dream of paying an accountant to do what takes me 5-10 mins a month to do and 20 mins at the end of the year.

TheBTeam
05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I do not use an accountant either, as said previously it doesn't take that long to do, a lot of your expenditure repeats itself weekly/monthly and even if you add it up manually i only spend around an hour or so every couple of weeks/month and that is for both dh and myself.

miffy
05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I've never used an accountant so no idea if they're worth paying for.

I agree with Sweets - the ncma accounts book is straightforward to use and, as long as you keep on top of your accounts (here is my downfall :blush: ) they shouldn't take you too long to do.

Miffy xx

Lainey Lou
05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes I agree as well the NCMA accounts books are great. I did my accounts myself last year and it was really easy. The main piece of advice I would give it just to keep on top of everything, ie I do my accounts every week and then at the end of the month, do the monthly accounts. I think if I just left them for a few weeks, I would start getting myself in a tizz! But I would really have a go yourself, its really easy and you can always ask on here if there is anything you are unsure of :) xx

solly
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I do have an accountant but thats my DH, and if he wants his washing, ironing cooking done for me then he can do my accounts. Lol:) :)

jelly15
05-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I am newly registered but my husband uses an accountant as he runs a small building firm, so he wants me to use him too as with tax credits and us both now being self employed it will be very confusing.,:confused:

nic76
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
i have just signed up with an accountant and its not as pricey as i thought. really no good with figures and to be fair if he does it i cant get it wrong

youarewhatyoueat
05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
No I wouldn't use one, I only turn over around £1,500 or so a month hardly a huge business, I keep all receipts and it takes me a couple of evenings at the end of the year to do all my books.If you keep a record of mileage and outgoings all you have to do is calculate the % of utility bills add it all up and take it away from the gross turnover.job done.

singlewiththree
06-10-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't use one either, my brother-in-law made me a spreadsheet and I just fill it in and if I have any problems I ask him. :)

Polly2
06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I use "only childminding" the guy who advertises in the who minds mag. Pretty cheap for an accountant I think and it takes the worry out of it for me. :thumbsup:

mandy moo
06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I use my DH's bookeeper and accountant and they charge him:D

chels55
06-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I use "only childminding" the guy who advertises in the who minds mag. Pretty cheap for an accountant I think and it takes the worry out of it for me. :thumbsup:

How much does he charge?
I paid a local accountant this year as it was my first year, he charged £120 which i thought was not too bad

LisaH
06-10-2009, 09:16 AM
One of my minder friends uses an accountant and I have a parent who is one:)

I still do it myself though. I use the ncma book and make sure I keep it up to date.

I do my tax return online too.

Have a go, we are all here to help if you need it :)

Polly2
06-10-2009, 11:26 AM
How much does he charge?
I paid a local accountant this year as it was my first year, he charged £120 which i thought was not too bad

He charges £69 per year :)

mabel
06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
its quite easy if you set up a spreadsheet on excell, I taught myself

chewy sweets
06-10-2009, 01:32 PM
its quite easy if you set up a spreadsheet on excell, I taught myself

Wouldn't know where to start!!!!!!:blush:

nic76
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
He charges £69 per year :)

http://www.onlychildminding.co.uk/