PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the NCMA Journal?

button68
28-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I think it is £6.99 on thier website. I know I could just use an A4 diary from Smiths but was thinking of getting this as it may 'guide' a newbie like me through what Ofsted want to see.

I just wondered what it consisted of inside.

wendywu
28-02-2008, 07:56 PM
You could always use the birth to three diary sheets. I use these and you just print them off.:)

Monkey1
28-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I bought one and used it with a newborn, when that ran out i just made my own up and just photo copy the pages.

button68
28-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I bought one and used it with a newborn, when that ran out i just made my own up and just photo copy the pages.

I have a daily diary for each child I thought this was Journal was more for us the Childminders to note what we had done etc????

sarah707
28-02-2008, 08:17 PM
My journal...

Date - today

Children - see rota (note of anyone who doesn't come)

Safety check - tick when done (note any problems)

Cleaning check - tick when done (note any problems)

Temperatures taken - tick at end of day when done incl fridge, freezer & food - (note any problems)

Activities / Outings planned - what I intend to do including a brief run-down of where I intend to go, timings and with whom

Activities / Outings actual - Flossie had a stomach ache so we didn't make the park, Joe wanted to draw so we didn't paint, used garden this afternoon for messy play in tray with cornflour etc...

Comments - see Accident book, see Flossie's file for copy of note to mum, carry planned activities over to tomorrow as they weren't happening today, planned obs went well etc

It is really good if you can record exactly where you have been every day in case someone makes a complaint against you... 6 months later when Ofsted turn up, you dont know where you were or what you were doing... iyswim.

Hope this helps! :D

Lou
28-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I have a daily diary for each child I thought this was Journal was more for us the Childminders to note what we had done etc????

The Journal is just the same as a daily diary, i would have to advise they are a rip off, sorry but you can buy a note book for 49p and do the same.

miffy
28-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Good point about recording where you have been etc every day in case of a complaint

Thanks Sarah

Miffy xx

button68
28-02-2008, 08:49 PM
My journal...

Date - today

Children - see rota (note of anyone who doesn't come)

Safety check - tick when done (note any problems)

Cleaning check - tick when done (note any problems)

Temperatures taken - tick at end of day when done incl fridge, freezer & food - (note any problems)

Activities / Outings planned - what I intend to do including a brief run-down of where I intend to go, timings and with whom

Activities / Outings actual - Flossie had a stomach ache so we didn't make the park, Joe wanted to draw so we didn't paint, used garden this afternoon for messy play in tray with cornflour etc...

Comments - see Accident book, see Flossie's file for copy of note to mum, carry planned activities over to tomorrow as they weren't happening today, planned obs went well etc

It is really good if you can record exactly where you have been every day in case someone makes a complaint against you... 6 months later when Ofsted turn up, you dont know where you were or what you were doing... iyswim.

Hope this helps! :D

This was the kind of thing I was thinking of :thumbsup: So have you just made up a sheet that you can just print off and hold in a file? Do you say what part of the B23/EYFS your planning covers or do you cover that on your separate planning sheet (like in your EYFS planning e-book)?

sarah707
28-02-2008, 09:16 PM
This was the kind of thing I was thinking of :thumbsup: So have you just made up a sheet that you can just print off and hold in a file? Do you say what part of the B23/EYFS your planning covers or do you cover that on your separate planning sheet (like in your EYFS planning e-book)?

I am not a great fan of duplicating anything... so I don't write a great list of what I plan to do (I do that on a planning sheet)... I just give a brief outline and then say 'see planning sheet for xxx' etc.

I write my journal in a hard back bound book I bought from Woolies for less than £1 a while ago and it's lasting me ages. I don't do a full page a day - sometimes less than 1/2 a page... it's about me recording what I do in case of a problem in the future... :D

crazybones
28-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I bought one. Filled it out daily. Mum took it home to show hubby. LOST IT. :angry: Money down the drain. Use photocopied sheets now much better.

Annie x

Hopscotch
28-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I have got a journal that i use, i make them and sell them on my website they have
Number of mindees and ages per day
Activities planned
Trips & outings
Accidents incidents
Observations
Thoughts & reminders
Also includes a4 ratio planner
2008 calendar
useful websites
Minded childrens birthdays
Personal details, dates to renew ofsted, pub liability insurance etc.

Here is the link to ebay shop or my website see below.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Childminder-Childminding-Daily-Journal-Planner_W0QQitemZ270203135418QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31 33QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l124 7QQcmdZViewItem

I do use this one but yes you could use just a notebook as well.