PDA

View Full Version : An acitivity Idea for October

uf353432
05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
If you haven't already pledged to do it - a great learning project to do this month with kids of all ages - is Operation Xmas Child.

http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/

There are lots of lovely activities you can do from planning, wrapping boxes and decorating, shopping lists, shopping, thinking ahead to xmas, the idea of children not being as well off as you are - the spirit of giving - all fab things for learning journals. Drop off your shoe boxes first week of November at local collection points.

You could do a box for your whole setting or one per child.

If you haven't already gotten involved - then hopefully the above link will give you food for thought.

Thanks debs

uf353432
05-10-2009, 05:37 PM
ha ha - just me then?

well we had a lovely after school session today going through the blurb and writing our shopping lists and deciding on who we wanted to make a box for. We started imagining who the child was - giving him/her names and talking about where they might live. Talked about what their fav colour was and talked about the childrens favourite things and why a child receiving it might like/use/ enjoy the item on the list. We talked about how lucky we all were at christmas and thought about kids who were not so lucky - and feelings associated with getting presents and how they might feel.

Was really lovely :)

have to do the same session 5 more times this week - will be interesting to see what the other kids come up with :)

Alibali
05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
We do them every year with our Church and my own kids love doing it. Nice idea to do one with the mindees too.

Blackhorse
05-10-2009, 06:22 PM
we used to do these boxes in my old work and now we also do them at mothers and toddlers...
might make one with the kids as well

thanks

Monkey1
05-10-2009, 06:44 PM
We do them every year....infact we usually do 6....cause we can never chose which sex or age to go for so we do the lot!

Pudding Girl
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I've heard things about Samaritan's Purse :( I suggest you may want to do a bit of googling about them, it's not a scam or anything but apparently they exclude certain races/religions from their operations which I think is disgusting :mad:

uf353432
05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I have done George and can find nothing sinister relating to exclusion - and for those who do benefit from the cause I reckon are very deserving - I'm not much into politics - but quite like giving presents to kids - and yes I do just as much on my home ground as I try to do abroad.

miffy
05-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Thank you for the link - it's something I've thought about doing but not got round to.

Would be nice to do one with the mindees

Miffy xx

Lady Haha
06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I've heard things about Samaritan's Purse :( I suggest you may want to do a bit of googling about them, it's not a scam or anything but apparently they exclude certain races/religions from their operations which I think is disgusting :mad:

Well, I found some not so good stuff about these people:(

From what I've read, they don't exclude races or religions, but they do pass on the message with the box that the children have Jesus to thank for thier gifts.....even if the child recieving it is Hindu or Muslim for example.

I was going to be doing this, but have found another very similar scheme where the gifts are sent with no added literature or message. So if the Christian mesage bothers you (which it does me, I have to admit) try these people instead. They are a Christian organisation, but do not include any literature in their boxes etc.

http://www.linkromania.co.uk/shoebox-appeal