PDA

View Full Version : numbers question

chewy sweets
05-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I know that a 4 year old can be classed as a 5 year old when in full time education. Does the same go for a 3 year old in full time education?????

tashaleee
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Do you actually mean full time education as in goes to normal state school full time, or do you mean they go to nursery full time and you are providing wrap around care for the nursery hours?

TheBTeam
05-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I am pretty sure it only covers 4 year olds who are in reception school class, not 3 year olds that maybe do School nursery, lunch club, then preschool so as to take a whole day, this is what i was advised when i had a child that did this.

chewy sweets
05-10-2009, 12:47 PM
i mean nursery full time. As mum still want me to have him before and after school but does this mean i woin't be able to take on another under 5 during the day?

youarewhatyoueat
05-10-2009, 12:53 PM
It depends whether you are the emergency contact, if you are then you will be charging for full care but if mum picks up the child if the nursery is closed etc. then your contracted hours should reflect this in which case you can take on another child during the day but make sure you don't overlap times or allow extra time for pick ups in case mum is late otherwise you may go over numbers even for a short time. If you do need to overlap then you can try for a variation.

TheBTeam
05-10-2009, 12:54 PM
i mean nursery full time. As mum still want me to have him before and after school but does this mean i woin't be able to take on another under 5 during the day?

I do not think nursery counts as pre school nursery is only for 1/2 days, the rest is usually an additional service offered by some schools and not the same as full time full school , ie reception class, you would be able to take on another under 5 during the time the child was there unless the parent was paying you for the space during this time.

The child will count in your under 5 spaces for the time he is with you, and if you are charging them whilst he is at nursery, so the space can not be taken by another child, if however they do not pay you while he is there and presuming then you are not contracted to collect if anything were to prevent him being there, then you can offer the space to someone else, something to consider though is the arrangement for school holidays, when you couldn't have them both

The Juggler
05-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I do not think nursery counts as pre school nursery is only for 1/2 days, the rest is usually an additional service offered by some schools and not the same as full time full school , ie reception class, you would be able to take on another under 5 during the time the child was there unless the parent was paying you for the space during this time.

The child will count in your under 5 spaces for the time he is with you, and if you are charging them whilst he is at nursery, so the space can not be taken by another child, if however they do not pay you while he is there and presuming then you are not contracted to collect if anything were to prevent him being there, then you can offer the space to someone else, something to consider though is the arrangement for school holidays, when you couldn't have them both

I know a four year old in nursery who used wraparound was then able to be counted as a rising five with Ofsted approval to do so but not sure what happens if they are still 3. A friend of mine (a CM) also has a 3 year old at nursery full time in a private school and just provides wraparound.

Think that might be one for ofsted. There was great rising five post which is pinned on the board but not sure it covers 3 year olds.

nell57
05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I know that a 4 year old can be classed as a 5 year old when in full time education. Does the same go for a 3 year old in full time education?????

Hi
I phoned ofsted last week to ask them the very question. The answer I got is, they do not become a rising 5 until there actual 4th birthday. Which is no help in this area because they go nursery full time when the child is 3.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2009, 03:19 PM

I know the answer to this as I asked last week and the answer was NO!

tulip0803
05-10-2009, 03:53 PM
It is different in Wales:-

In the Welsh Standards it says

"Standard 13: Adult: Child Ratios
13.4 Children of any age who attend ten early education sessions a week, may be classed as children over 5 years for the purposes of the adult: child ratio."

However Manjay was told it only applied to 4 year olds. I was told it applied to my DD2 although she was just about to turn 4 as my reg came through. Check with CSSIW in Carmarthen. They will advise you.:thumbsup:

manjay
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
I would check with your Inspector. I have an email from mine that says no. I am in the same position as my ds attends 10 early ed sessions a week but is not 4 until May. It has been made quite clear to me that it doesn't count until he starts reception in September. However that is not how the standards read so if I really needed it I would give it a good fight:rolleyes: