PDA

View Full Version : did i do right? what now?

mushpea
05-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I was either told or have read somwhere that when a child leaves us their EYFS folder/learning journey should go with them so when i had a child leave a few weeks ago i sent his with him, I saw nan last week who said thanks very much for the folder then said 'his mum is delighted with the folder but is going to rip it up and put the photos in various other albums for her brothers':eek: , I was horrifed and kind of offended because she obviously didnt realise how much work i had put in to it, i realise she didnt mean rip it up and chuck it it was her way of saying she will take bits out of it and reuse but even so.......,, not only that but I thought it had to go to the next childcare setting which i did explain to both mum and nan at the time of handing it over. what happens now when he goes to preschool (mums not working anymore) and they ask for this folder , will i get in to trouble for not doing it? I dont have a copy of the folder or anything to say i did the EYFS with him.

moogster1a
05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
you don't HAVE to hand over anything unless you are the main provider at the time of their 5th birthday; and this is usually preschool / reception class. So, don't worry about it. This is why I store all my EYFS mentally. Waste of trees writing it down!

singingcactus
05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I only blue tack my photos into my kids books so the parents can much more easily rip them up and use the photos in their albums :laughing: . I can't imagine them wanting to keep a book with the links to the EYFS in, although I expect they will appreciate the much more personal comment I add tot eh picks in addition to the wordy eyfs blurb.

mum2two
05-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I would have been upset too. You do hand it over when they leave, as it's no use to us any more. Obviously you need to keep it & keep it up to date whilst they are with you, so you know where they are developmentally, and planning for their next steps.

Also, without it, you cannot prove to ofsted you are meeting the requirements of EYFS.

I know some of the parents I have love the folders, and write in them every time I send them home, and know they will be kept once the child does leave. On the other hand - I know parents that will put it straight in the bin... :rolleyes:

Unfortuantley - that's the joys of the job... :p

x

singlewiththree
05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I would have been upset too.

I print out photos to go in the learning journey but then give all the photos on CD in the hope the parents won't break it up :panic: I suppose some parents just don't appreciate the work. I have kept all my daughters preschool folders I just couldn't bear to take stuff out and chuck the rest.

mushpea
05-10-2009, 04:49 PM
thing is if the folder goes with the child then how do i prove to ofsted that i did the eyfs with that child,

Tatjana
05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
thing is if the folder goes with the child then how do i prove to ofsted that i did the eyfs with that child,

You don't need to as they are no longer in your care.

hth
xx

sarah707
05-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Ofsted are only interested in current children so don't worry about that one! :D

Angela234
05-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I HAD A LITTLE BOY FINISH WITH ME last June as mum stopped work i gave them the Learning journey

I went to a toddler group at a pre school i hadn't been to for ages and they said .... had started with them and how lovely his learning journey was that mum had given them

That made me feel it's all worth while

sarah707
05-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I HAD A LITTLE BOY FINISH WITH ME last June as mum stopped work i gave them the Learning journey

I went to a toddler group at a pre school i hadn't been to for ages and they said .... had started with them and how lovely his learning journey was that mum had given them

That made me feel it's all worth while

Aww that's lovely! Well done you :D

guest3
23-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Ofsted are only interested in current children so don't worry about that one! :D

Sarah, I have a mindee leaving this week and an iminent inspection... will Ofsted need to see any paperwork relating to the mindee who's leaving?

Wendy x

My other mindee has only been with me for 3 weeks so I don't have much paperwork for her yet!

Cazz
23-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Sarah, I have a mindee leaving this week and an iminent inspection... will Ofsted need to see any paperwork relating to the mindee who's leaving?

Wendy x

My other mindee has only been with me for 3 weeks so I don't have much paperwork for her yet!

I don't know the correct answer to that (someone else will come along who does!) but personally if I was in this situation I would explain to the parent that Ofsted are due and could you hold onto the folder in case they would like to look at it. You can then send it on after the inspection.

As I say, don't know if that's correct but that's what I would do!

Good luck with your inspection - I'm expecting one at any time too :panic:

The Juggler
23-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I'd make a copy so lo can take his but you still have one to show Mrs O

tashaleee
23-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I had a mindee leave who had some 'additional needs' so I took photos of each page of their learning journey and uploaded them onto my computer so that if Ofsted ever wanted to they could view my learning journey and I had a form of 'evidence' should I ever need it. Ive decided to carry on doing this in case a parent in future 'looses' it if they take it home for the weekend for dad to view :rolleyes: