PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so what do you do?

pinklady
05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I've got a new starter today, she had her 1st birthday yestersday. E has cried non-stop so far morning and I've got 3 others to look after so obviously can't give my attention to 1 child.

I've cuddled her, tried to distract her, given her a snack and even resorted to in the night garden :rolleyes: So what does everyone else do in this situation?:panic:

helenlc
05-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Ear plugs??

No seriously - what about some music and dancing? Nice and loud and get the musical instruments out too.

I would say go for a walk but if your weather is anything like ours, you will get drowned just stepping outside the front door!!

What about some stories? Put on your best theatrical voice to make them fun and interesting and use the toys as props.

Other than that, give her a cuddle, then put her down to play for 5 minutes. If she cries, pick her up or just give a cuddle, then put her down to play for 5 minutes. If you can, you might be able to increase the time between having to reassure her.

I had a new starter last week, only 9 months old and doing settling in sessions. He was fine all morning but mum was a few minutes late picking him up and he was getting hungry so started to get distressed. Mum hadnt left any lunch instructions so I was a bit stuck.:blush: He had some water but was still relieved (both of us were!) when mum turned up!!

Try and stay calm for her and reassure her. Hard I know but its only the first day.

pinklady
05-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks Helen. I continued to do everything in my power to settle her and she was definitely getting a bit better. Still crying but having a couple of quiet moments here and there. She wore herself out so much that she was falling asleep sitting up.

E didn't want lunch and only ate a yogurt but went to sleep without a peep.

Lets see how it goes after nap time and do the school run in the rain :angry:

Paws
05-10-2009, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=pinklady;542724]I've cuddled her, tried to distract her, given her a snackQUOTE]

I need to get my eyes tested. I read that about five times and each time, I read it as 'given her a smack'.

youarewhatyoueat
05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Have you tried a mirror, its usually a good distraction. What ages are the others, can they not play on their own for a bit while you settle the young one, I tend to go to toddler groups in the morning as I find it easier and more of a distraction.
If the others are older I would have E sat on your lap for a singing session so she feels close. Has she had any settling in sessions, how did they go, she may be feeling a bit off colour.
Both my mindees today were handed over with 'we've had a bad weekend teething'.

grindal
05-10-2009, 01:16 PM
You have my sympathy. i have a 10 month old new starter today. She cried her little eyes out when mum left but DS1 made more noise telling me she was being too noisy :panic:
Luckily she settled surprisingly quickly and is now asleep upstairs (DS1 and 2 asleep too :blush: )
Hope your day improves.

helenlc
05-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Hope she is happier after her nap.

At least she is having some quiet times in between crying - take these as a positive and aim to be extending these. Is she doing anything in particular during these quiet times ie being in a particular part of the room, with a particular toy? Keep going with whatever is making her happy!!!:thumbsup: