PDA

View Full Version : Nappies (sorry if TMI)

Ripeberry
04-10-2009, 05:43 PM
My mindee uses real nappies, they are sometimes massive! Four layers with a plastic outer covering and held together with elastic band 'nippas'. When he does a poo, its always a pallava as I've got to get everything unpopped then I've got to wipe and also take the throwaway liner and the poo away.
Then I get the new nappy on whilst trying to stop mindee wriggling away.
At the moment I put the wipes in a nappy sack and put the poo in the toilet and flush it.
I don't use gloves but I do wash my hands straight away after putting the used nappy in the storage bag.
Will Ofsted think that real nappies cause too many problems due to germs?
At least with a disposable it's just folded up and in the nappy sack with the wipes and all done.
I also wipe down the mat with a wipe, but should I use anti-bac as well?

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I have had mindee in real nappies, not had a problem really. As long as you store the dirty ones securely - mum supplied a lidded bucket but I wrapped in a nappy sac first if dirty for mum to deal with. I kept in the shed by the back door :)

I have found some baby anti bac wipes for changing mats etc in wilkinsons and tescos. Smaller and not such a strong smell.

singlewiththree
04-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Its not a problem you could just risk assess it as you would everything else, I use gloves and would use them with washables too. I used them on my own children and its just getting into a routine, perhaps try and simplyfy it by getting a bucket and putting them in?

Ripeberry
04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, I was thinking of a bucket as the mum has given me a waterproof drawbag for them. Suppose I should keep them outside as well, as at the moment (because they don't smell) I keep them on the stairs where mindees can't go (gated).
It's just the act of picking up the poo and taking it to the toilet which is the worst bit. Maybe I should just put it all in the nappy sack with the wipes and cut out the journey with the offending article :laughing: ?

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, I was thinking of a bucket as the mum has given me a waterproof drawbag for them. Suppose I should keep them outside as well, as at the moment (because they don't smell) I keep them on the stairs where mindees can't go (gated).
It's just the act of picking up the poo and taking it to the toilet which is the worst bit. Maybe I should just put it all in the nappy sack with the wipes and cut out the journey with the offending article :laughing: ?

I did that with the 'offending article' too. My loo was upstairs and it was not practical to always go up there with it. IYSWIM.YUK!! :laughing:

grindal
05-10-2009, 06:29 AM
I used real nappies with DS1 and 2 but did not ask my childminder to. When I changed DS1 and 2 I did it upstairs cos we did not have a downstairs loo. I also used washable wipes - these went in the nappy bucket as well, and any solid poo just got chucked in the loo. I think they are a lot more hygienic than putting poo in a plastic bag and leaving it out for the bin men to collect and bury in a hole in the ground - but as a childminder I definately see the benefits of disposables :blush:

hannah714
05-10-2009, 11:50 AM
hi, i use real nappies with my own son, you should ask the parent/s if the liners are flushable as most are, that way you just empty straight into the toilet as the liners will bio-degrade. hope this helps a little. x x

My mindee uses real nappies, they are sometimes massive! Four layers with a plastic outer covering and held together with elastic band 'nippas'. When he does a poo, its always a pallava as I've got to get everything unpopped then I've got to wipe and also take the throwaway liner and the poo away.
Then I get the new nappy on whilst trying to stop mindee wriggling away.
At the moment I put the wipes in a nappy sack and put the poo in the toilet and flush it.
I don't use gloves but I do wash my hands straight away after putting the used nappy in the storage bag.
Will Ofsted think that real nappies cause too many problems due to germs?
At least with a disposable it's just folded up and in the nappy sack with the wipes and all done.
I also wipe down the mat with a wipe, but should I use anti-bac as well?

Alibali
05-10-2009, 01:09 PM
2 of my mindees use them, however mum doesn't use liners, so I just wrap it all up and put it in double nappy sack and then in a carrier bag for mum to take home and deal with:D I also use gloves, especially with real nappies as they get wet on the outside too.

Lincsminder
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
dont you tip the poo out of disposables into the loo too, because I do. I thought you were supposed to because then it gets treated correctly rather that going to the landfill.