PDA

View Full Version : Updating safeguarding training

sarah707
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I noticed that my safeguarding training is 3 years old this month.

Would you do an online update course or wait and see if something comes up locally?

Our training directory has been pretty awful recently so I'm tempted to do something online and pay for it, at least that way I will know it's been done.

I just wondered what everyone else would do. :D

wendywu
04-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I did the online one linked from here. My Ofsted inspector was more than happy with it.

I would rather pay and do it in the comfort of my own home. :)

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I need to update mine and think I will do it online. By the time I find something local, sort out the kids and how to get there on public transport, it will probably be easier and cheaper too!

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I did the online one linked from here. My Ofsted inspector was more than happy with it.

I would rather pay and do it in the comfort of my own home. :)

How did you get on with the one linked on here?

wendywu
04-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I found it very easy to understand. You did little mini tests as you read through it. So it really did sink in. You could go back and re read a section if you could not answer these little test questions.

You could take the exam at the end more than once

I think i did it in two hits and im sure it cost £35.00 :)

FussyElmo
04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
well im doing safeguarding children1 on saturday and number 2 in november. Would have sooner do it online but our courses are free so its better for me.

tashaleee
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Ive always done mine locally - but I know what you mean about finding a course!

Might be quicker to do the one on-line instead (wont have to sit there for hours and be bored about being told things yet again that you already know about). Downside may be the opportunity to ask things you want to know (but I doubt that would be much) and it may be more expensive online......

wendywu
04-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes i could have done it for free as well, but i would rather have the Saturday.

You can always claim the online fee through your tax. ( must wash my mouth out with soap now i have said that word):laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
The've just released dozens of dates in my area, gloucestershire so have booked on for next year.

FussyElmo
04-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes i could have done it for free as well, but i would rather have the Saturday.

You can always claim the online fee through your tax. ( must wash my mouth out with soap now i have said that word):laughing:

I know this is going to sound really sad but its also a day of peace - no children for six hours :)

miffy
04-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm hoping to do mine over two evenings in November.

Our courses are free too.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I did a level 3 in Safeguarding Children 2 years ago and am hoping that I won't have to do it again.

Monkey1
04-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I did mine about a year ago ut i am doing it again in december to keep Mr Hunky Monkey company on his.....will be good for fostering too!

clorogue
04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I have just sent mine off through the post to Educare, I found it good. Although a childminder I know said that Early Years said it wasn't enough and we had to do attend a course? Has anyone heard that?

tammerisk
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
why not give your local early years team a ring and see whn they putting on a designated persons traing as that is the bit you really need my local sure start center helped me to find out and booked me on the course as it for nurserys and pre school aswell should have one once a year for all new people

sarah707
05-10-2009, 06:55 AM
why not give your local early years team a ring and see whn they putting on a designated persons traing as that is the bit you really need my local sure start center helped me to find out and booked me on the course as it for nurserys and pre school aswell should have one once a year for all new people

That's what I would usually do.

Unfortunately, Cheshire split recently and they spent so much on new signage and badges for everyone :rolleyes: there's no money left in the pot for training.

even First aid isn't free any more and you have to book your own, they're not running it.

I did Educare last time - I will investigate it again. Thanks guys! :D

Rubybubbles
05-10-2009, 08:51 AM
lincolnshire do a online one for free, I need to send off for a password so I can do it though:blush: still not! Mine is 18 months now, but I am sure I read somewhere it should be done at least once a year (recap one)

ORKSIE
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
we have to pay for first aid and food hygiene:(

Twinkle
05-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm on the Wirral and all of our courses cost £6.00.

I've done two this year - two days before my EYFS my dad died and the day before my first aid I fell down the stairs and mangled my toes - I'm a bit reluctant to sign up for any more!! :D

Noodles
05-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I done the linked online course from here and printed out the certificate. I found it really easy to do and could complete it in my own time.
Was inspected in January and inspector was happy with the certificate:) :) :) :)

candy cat
05-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi not sure what i will do regarding this yet as still waiting for my my registration.:( The online version sounds very appealing though!!

Sarah 707......A big thank you as I bought a few of your E books.....really impressed folks so if you are struggling or panicking and in need of inspiration then take a look as Sarah's website as she has thought of everything. CX

Suebb1
05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Just completed on an online course Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect- Core V3

from the safeguarding e-Academy, registered with it via local Early Years and cost £15. Don't know who much it would be to register on it your self though.x

The Juggler
05-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I would also do the online. Our local authority training is usually just reading from the published documents you can get hold of.

In your case Sarah if you read the latest legislation and guidance (which you always do!) and you can prove to ofsted you know what you're supposed to do I reckon Ofsted would be happy enough. IMO the people on the course (unless they are from the safeguarding department itself) wouldn't know as much as you.

Our DO does ours and it's like having a wet blanket tell you stuff you already know TBH.

LOL

sarah707
05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Just completed on an online course Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect- Core V3

from the safeguarding e-Academy, registered with it via local Early Years and cost £15. Don't know who much it would be to register on it your self though.x

Do you mean this one?

http://www.safeguardingchildrenea.co.uk/node/20188/150849

It's one I was looking at because it's an update rather than doing the whole thing again :D

sarah707
15-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Do you mean this one?

http://www.safeguardingchildrenea.co.uk/node/20188/150849

It's one I was looking at because it's an update rather than doing the whole thing again :D

I did this course over 2 nights this week and it was interesting.

I don't think it told me anything in particular I didn't already know but it did confirm a few things in my head.

It's nice to have a certificate printed and know that's it for 3 years so long as I keep updated.

Thank you to everyone for their comments and feedback :D

The Juggler
16-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I did this course over 2 nights this week and it was interesting.

I don't think it told me anything in particular I didn't already know

:D

told you so!!! :laughing: you're more up on the latest legislation than most course providers Sarah!

helenlc
16-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I had put myself down to do Day 1 and 2 locally but got a letter this morning saying they are already fully booked, so guess I will be doing it online too.

carol cameron
16-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I am doing a distance learning course on safeguarding children. I had a choice of 2 local colleges but everything is sent via the post and I enroled on the telephone. Best of all its free and OFSTED are quite happy with it. Might be worth checking your local college out to see if they offer anything similar.

Shivvie
17-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Gosh, I wish I'd known about the online course. I've just booked a course for a Saturday for hubby and I. Its a full days course and I hate training on a Saturday! We've had to pay £10 each for it so I bet we won't be able to get the money back now :(

I'll remember it for next time though (that's if we're still doing this job and haven't won the lottery ;) )