PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen and Stair Gates

clorogue
04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Does everyone use stairgates into their kitchen, I have one and always had one. We are moving and I could end up with 3! If anyone doesn't use one, have you been inspected and what have the inspectors said? Appreciate any help - thanks!!

Lainey Lou
04-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Hiya, I don't have one on my kitchen door, I have one on my lounge door which leads into the hall and then the kitchen is off that. When I leave the lounge I just automatically close the gate behind me. My kitchen is very close to my lounge as well so I can hear what is going on and can see the children if they are stood at the gate, so that possibly makes a difference as well. I'm awaitng my first grading inspection but my inspector on the pre-reg one was happy with this, but what one inspector is happy with another isn't! :) x

FussyElmo
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I dont use them to block off rooms. Nothing was said at my ofsted inspection. If they do query you ask how you are supposed to offer free flow with them:)

miffy
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't, and have never had, a stair gate on my kitchen door - the children know they are not allowed into the kitchen if I'm cooking.

It's never been an issue at inspection but there's always a first time! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

daisyboo1980
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
i dont use it on the kitchen as u need to go through the kitchen to get to the downstairs loo but i have them on the stairs top and bottom
the children are usually at the table colouring or table top games when im cooking

youarewhatyoueat
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I only use one on the stairs but I do have one that I would use on the kitchen if I needed to keep the children out. I don't leave them up all the time they drive me nuts!!!

sarah707
04-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't, and have never had, a stair gate on my kitchen door - the children know they are not allowed into the kitchen if I'm cooking.

It's never been an issue at inspection but there's always a first time! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Same as Miffy.

I have a 'toes line' in my kitchen and even the 1 year old knows to stop and talk to me from there :D

Alz
04-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Good advice from everyone, I am thinking of getting another safety gate for my lounge door too...I do have a few already but they are usually kept open, but I like them there as an option to shut them if I need to!...dunno what Ofsted will say, but it's more comfortable for me that way!....my DD totally ignores my "no kitchen" rule...so whatcha gonna do!?!:rolleyes:

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
My downstairs loo is accessed through the kitchen then dining then utility so can't shut them off all the time. Have a gate across kitchen/dining doorway so if mindees are in there drawing or doing puzzles etc they can still get to the loo and I can cook in safety. Also can block the dog out of the way :thumbsup:

It depends on the set up of your house and ages of children - it has to work for you.

CherryBlossom
04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a gate which is to the left of my stairs that leads to the living room (not going to be used for minding), playroom and then kitchen. The garden is accessed through the kitchen, so not sure about putting a gate up here.

I am also not sure if i should put a gate on the playroom door-don't think i will though as they can't get to the stairs as gate in the way.

The children won't be allowed in the kitchen generally, but we will walk through it to get to the garden I am slightly worried what Ofsted will say about this.
Once children are in the garden I won't let them come and go as please, and obviously they will only be out there when I am..and also if we are having garden time i will make sure tht the kitchen does not need to be used for cooking etc...as don't want children walking past hot things etc.

Sorry rambling now lol.
It is a difficult one..don't want to end up with a gate at every doorway!

x

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I have a gate which is to the left of my stairs that leads to the living room (not going to be used for minding), playroom and then kitchen. The garden is accessed through the kitchen, so not sure about putting a gate up here.

I am also not sure if i should put a gate on the playroom door-don't think i will though as they can't get to the stairs as gate in the way.

The children won't be allowed in the kitchen generally, but we will walk through it to get to the garden I am slightly worried what Ofsted will say about this.
Once children are in the garden I won't let them come and go as please, and obviously they will only be out there when I am..and also if we are having garden time i will make sure tht the kitchen does not need to be used for cooking etc...as don't want children walking past hot things etc.

Sorry rambling now lol.
It is a difficult one..don't want to end up with a gate at every doorway!

x

I always say no unsupervised access to the kitchen - Ofsted are ok with this. We live in homes not purpose built nurseries :rolleyes:

TheBTeam
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
OFSTED were not unhappy with me not having a stair gate on my kitchen, the children are told that they can not come in unless specifically given permission and even the 11month old has got the hang of it!

I do have one on the bottom of my stairs as the stairs are in the living room and i do not want to find them halfway up the stairs as soon as my back is turned.

Helen79
04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I have one but my kitchen's only small so if I'm cooking then it's dangerous if a child wanders in.
my kitchen door's really hard to shut aswell so it's easier for me to shut the stair gate than battle with the kitchen door every time I go in.

clorogue
04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Thank you everyone, that has really helped a lot - I really don't feel I need as many now. Really appreciate it. I have been childminding for years but never been without one in the kitchen.