PDA

View Full Version : someone please please help me...

charliegee
03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
:( :eek: :crying: I've spent literally all my saturday doing paperwork....and litearlly just had a cry as this is ridiculous (sorry to rant.....)

This paperwork is just SO overwhelming me......

I've done a EYFS folder which has the Every Child Matters outcomes listed and all my policies and stuff filed correctly

I'm now thinking...Do I have to do a similar file for the themes and each of the sub themes as it were

eg - for a file called "unique child" do I have to demonstrate the sub themes of "child development", "a skillful communicator" and "a competent learner" and show how my settling works in this way?

or is all of this completly unnecessary and all I need is the EYFS folder and not to worry about the themes?

sorry for rant.....honestly feeling like giving it all up....:(

Pudding Girl
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Didn't want to read and run, but no idea what to say as I am in Scotland and we don't do that (yet!!)

jelly15
03-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I am so sorry for you but I am sure with help from others in the forum you will get there.

In Wales we are reg with the CSSIW and I thought the paper work seemed a little extream here but you English have it much harder.

Good luck and big hug.

Pipsqueak
03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
:( :eek: :crying: I've spent literally all my saturday doing paperwork....and litearlly just had a cry as this is ridiculous (sorry to rant.....)

This paperwork is just SO overwhelming me......

I've done a EYFS folder which has the Every Child Matters outcomes listed and all my policies and stuff filed correctly

I'm now thinking...Do I have to do a similar file for the themes and each of the sub themes as it were

eg - for a file called "unique child" do I have to demonstrate the sub themes of "child development", "a skillful communicator" and "a competent learner" and show how my settling works in this way?

or is all of this completly unnecessary and all I need is the EYFS folder and not to worry about the themes?

sorry for rant.....honestly feeling like giving it all up....:(

Its sounds like you are doing too much.

All I have is:
Policies and Procedures (EYFS friendly)
RA's
My Portfolio - which also includes a scrapbook of photos, postcards, momentoes of what we have done, where we have been, what we do
My Planning folder
A file for each child - for those in EYFS this includes their obs

Think you need some Sarah TLC and a look at her e-books

FussyElmo
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi I dont but I may be wrong. I have all my policies listed like yours but i dont go into details on the sub themes. I personally think the six areas of learning will cover all of these. So a skillful communicator is communication language and literacy. Hope this helps. Dont get stressed by the paperwork honey way too much more in life to stress over:)

MarpleJollytots
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Sounds like your over complicating things for yourself which is what i did,got in a right state.Had my Pre Reg visit and she told me id created far too much paperwork for myself,i had set it up sim to how you have just described. Im only pre Reg so not qualified to suggest what you do but hopefully Sarah 707 will read your thread soon and help u out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ofstead should tell us exactley how they want it set out so everyone does it ONE way.Put it all away, go for a walk to your local shop,get yourself a huge bar of Chocolate,eat the lot and dont go anywhere near the paperwork now tonight.If your at the point of being in tears you wont get anywhere.Leave for another time.

Lady Haha
03-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't think you NEED a file for the themes and sub themes, but I have got one! It started life as an A4 lever arch file with all the pages from the EYFS pack in it. I had all my safety stuff in there, a couple of newsletters and a photo or two stuck to A4 sheet saying which part of the EYFS I was meetinig in those pics. Only about five pages slotted under different tabs. And that was all.

Then gradually, week by week and now month by month, I just add something else to it. I put my questionaires given back in Working in Partnership with Parents, photos of different cultural activities we have done, in KUW, softplay leaflets etc in Physical Development and so on. Its got so big in the space of six months that I've had to make a whole new file for the
'Six Areas of Learning and Development' to free up some room!!!

But, it does look good!! And it honestly doesn't take long and quickly builds up, just don't try and have a file that thick straight away. My development worker (who was really really impressed!) told me that if Ofsted suddenly sprang a visit on me when I had next to nothing in it, as long as I made them aware that it's a working document thats constantly updated, the Ofsted would be happy.

Good luck and don't try and do it all at once!

Monkey1
03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I was doing too much too and now i have simplified everything, now each childs takes abou 10 mins to write up and correspond to the eyfs every week or so. Go grab yourself a bottle of wine after a day of paperwork i think you will need it x:thumbsup:

ORKSIE
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Bless your heart. Read what has been written, and take a deep breath, then down a large glass of wine.

Dont make things too complicated. you are doing fine, but try to simplify.
As Pip says, Sarahs e-books are very helpful:thumbsup:

miffy
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Sounds like you have everything you need in your eyfs folder

No need for sub folders for the themes

Miffy xx

sarah707
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
I think it's an either or thing...

Either put everything under the Every Child Matters outcomes (which is where all my stuff is filed)

OR put everything under the headings of the Eyfs.

If you look at the SEF, the first 5 big questions follow the ECM outcomes don't they? AND the ECM underpins everything we do, inlcuding the EYFS.

If you have a nosey in free downloads, I have put a document linking ECM to the EYFS so you can see how it all works - it's called an operational plan.

I hope you are feeling more positive today... ask again if there's anything we haven't answered :D

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2009, 08:15 AM
As everyone says "simplify" your system.

I just cover the EYFS and link to the 6 outcomes and only on observations done and notes made and not on everything we do.

Hope you find it easier.

Tatjana
04-10-2009, 01:46 PM
You're doing too much honey.

In the Learning Journal, I have a statement about the EYFS and the 6 areas it covers. Then I have observation sheets, which have:
Date
Time
Observation
6 areas of EYFS - which i tick which the Ob applies to
Next Steps
Parent Comment

Also have WOW pages, with small Obs on them & links to EYFS

Then photos, childs work etc.

Had my first grading inspection last week and the inspector was very happy with it.

hth
xx

charliegee
04-10-2009, 09:53 PM
ah thank you so so much everyone for your kind replys

Honestly - had the most horrible weekend trying to get it sorted and although it's no way done - I do feel heaps better from your kind advice

(I also took your advice on a non childminding related area and bought chocolate and had some wine which was lovely!!! - cheers to you ladies and gents!!)

thank you so much everyone

xxxxx