PDA

View Full Version : Building a resource file

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I have bought myself a beautiful book which is quite large and i want to compile a resource/activity file.

I was thinking of dividing it into the six areas of learning but since many activities cover more than one area i think this will be quite hard. Does anyone have any other ideas of how i can arrange it all?

Alz
02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I am just starting to do this too, so afraid I have no advice...but will be watching thread for ideas!! :blush:

uf353432
02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
could you not do the resources alphabetically - or in age appropriateness (?) and then a sticker with an icon of the 6 areas and tick the icons that this resource/activity falls under?

Pipsqueak
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
just starting mine too (at long long last) - started taking the pix as I tided the playroom yesterday

LisaMcNally09
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
How about what sort of activity it is?? Eg....messy play...outdoor activities....craft...games...etc etc

I have mine divided into topics...ie autumn, winter, christmas, healthy eating etc etc

hth

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I wonder if i'll regret starting this- it sounds complicated. Like the idea of using coloured stickers to highlight the area of learning it covers.

Also pip you've given me something else to do- photos!

Maguiresmonkeys
02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I didnt divide mine into any sections.....:blush: ....just plonked them all in the book ;) .....sorry I cant help!

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I didnt divide mine into any sections.....:blush: ....just plonked them all in the book ;) .....sorry I cant help!

sounds good to me!:clapping:

sarah707
03-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I keep mine in topics / themes depending on the time of year (mostly)...

So I have a Sept file that has autumn activities, things to do with leaves, rainy day play etc.

I also have a full index so if something about rain comes up in May, I know where the stuff is :D

hello kitty
03-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry, but why are you doing this? :huh:

I have only listed my multi cultural resources and diversity resources but that is just so I can reel them off for Ofsted as inevitably the children play with them and they end up all over the place, rolled under the settee or behind bookcases etc.

I also have a photo album of resources so the children can choose what they want to play with. Is that the sort of thing you mean??

LisaMcNally09
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Sorry, but why are you doing this? :huh:

I have only listed my multi cultural resources and diversity resources but that is just so I can reel them off for Ofsted as inevitably the children play with them and they end up all over the place, rolled under the settee or behind bookcases etc.

I also have a photo album of resources so the children can choose what they want to play with. Is that the sort of thing you mean??

I think what is meant is not only listing the resources but also having all the activities that have been planned in a file so if you wanted to repeat an activity then its already planned and you can also see how well it went last time so you can make any necessary changes. IYSWIM

TheBTeam
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I keep mine in topics / themes depending on the time of year (mostly)...

So I have a Sept file that has autumn activities, things to do with leaves, rainy day play etc.

I also have a full index so if something about rain comes up in May, I know where the stuff is :D

Yes i too have something similar, i have theme files, with activity plans, resources etc and then i have a list of each theme and how long the activity plans last if followed rigidly, ie 1,2 or 4 weeks.

In the beginning when the eyfs first started i planned these out so that there was enough topics/weeks to cover the whole year and have done a yearly calendar with the themes slotted in over the year with gaps for the school holidays as we use a general all encompassing 'out and about' theme then.

This all looks fantastic and i was originally chuffed to bits with it, but after a bit of time and eyfs training i think this is too structured/much/rigid, so what i now do is pick at it, using bits here and there, but knowing that i have the back up of the ideas/resources and activities for themes that cover just about everything you could wish for! So i know that i have stuff for say 'people who help us' 'weather' transport' 'homes and buildings' 'Spring' etc and dip in when it is relevant.

Minstrel
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I think what is meant is not only listing the resources but also having all the activities that have been planned in a file so if you wanted to repeat an activity then its already planned and you can also see how well it went last time so you can make any necessary changes. IYSWIM

Yes this is exactly why I want to do this.

I have a truly awful memory and so if somehting isnt written down, i will forget it!

I'd like to have a file where all activities/resources/recipes/outing ideas etc etc are kept so the choices are make in my planning are varied and mixed up. Somwhere i can keep a fab playdough recipe or a painting activity are listed so i dont forget some oldies and favourites. Otherwise i couls easily find myself getting stuck in a rut with planning ideas and constantly researching the same information everytime i want to do an activity.

Many thanks for all the ideas! :thumbsup:

Roseolivia
03-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I have 3 files where i keep articles from n.world, childcare etc. 1 file is EYFS so info on this goes in there under the different dev's. 2 file is my portfolio where i keep articles e.g illnesses, behaviour and the last file is an activity file split into outdoor and indoor. It all needs sorting properly but never find the time.

Chanelle
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I think it depends how you intend to use the folder, once you have decided this the answer should be easier.

I have a folder of resources for topics/themes/seasons etc which I keep copies of activities in.

I also intend to create a photographic folder of all my resources which I will sort into the type of activitiy, like messy, jigsaws, construction etc...

miffy
03-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I think it depends how you intend to use the folder, once you have decided this the answer should be easier.

I agree with this!

It just depends what works for you - under themes, alphabetically, in months of the year - lots of ways but it has to work for you!

Miffy xx

Blackhorse
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I am planning the same and was thinking to have a ringbinder though...so that if I want to add something into a category it is easy to just add another page to it...and if the way I am organising it proofs not good then I can easily re-arrange it.

I was going to do the same as Sarah though. Themes together with links to the seasons and festivals that occur in certain months....and then an index to find it all again

In fact I was going to do 4 folders.. spring summer autumn and winter...and then withing the folders different sub categories..like outside play, messy play, festivals arts and crafts, recipes (to make with kids)...miscelaneous...

My file is really going to be for my own benefit of collecting all the great ideas into one place so they are easy to access again...obviously the care commission can see it but it wont be made for their benefit. they will get something similar with photos.....

helenlc
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I was going to do the same as Sarah though. Themes together with links to the seasons and festivals that occur in certain months....and then an index to find it all again

In fact I was going to do 4 folders.. spring summer autumn and winter...and then withing the folders different sub categories..like outside play, messy play, festivals arts and crafts, recipes (to make with kids)...miscelaneous..

I have a folder that is divided into months and each month has a theme ie summer, winter, jobs people do, animals etc.

This is already fit to bursting so I am going to break it down into 4 folders and do it per season as you mentioned. I got the folders last week and aim to sort things soon (:blush: ).

I collect so many resources, recipes, craft ideas etc and at the moment I am filing them - in one big plastic box!:blush: So if I get my folders up and running, they will be easy to access and put things in. I also now have my shelf up in my conservatory so I can put them there and access them easily both to put things in and refer to them.

When I had my inspection last May (so not under EYFS), I had my folder out. It showed that I was aware of multicultural festivals and had looked into different ways of covering themes ie age appropriate, accessible for all to do.

PixiePetal
04-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a file I call Ideas where for a year I kept weekly topic ideas/recipes/craft ideas/trips/books to read linked to areas of development.

This year I am doing a broader planning file as I only have 1 part time mindee at the moment.

YEAR 1

Colours
Week 1 - Red
Possible activities –

Red hand prints/sponge prints – CD
Red Interest Tray – CLL, KUW
Build red towers with wooden bricks/duplo – PD, KUW
Cutting and sticking red paper and card shapes – PD, CD
Red fruit jelly - KUW
Red bubble painting – CD, KUW
Look for red things on walk – PD, KUW, CLL
Red playdoh – PD, CD
Colouring shapes worksheet – PSRN, CD, CLL
Red bead threading – PD, PSRN
Ice biscuits and decorate with red sweets – KUW, CD,
Colour Postman Pat van or James the red engine – CLL, CD
Red stories – Little Red Tractor, Little Red Train, Kippers Colours – CLL
Throwing and catching red balls/beanbags - PD

THIS YEAR

September
Autumn, Harvest

Autumn leaves placemats CD
Photo book – the tree on the green CLL, KUW
Tree rubbings CD, KUW
Apple printing – cut to show pips CD, PD, KUW
Baking – apple cake, flapjacks, oat biscuits, oaty shortbread, bread CD, PD, KUW
Cooking – vegetable soup PSED(healthy eating), CD, PD
Dried pulse collage CD
Corn cob printing/painting CD
Maize messy play in tuff spot CD, PD
Maize collage picture – punched out dots CD
Make play doh food (cinnamon scented doh)CD,PD
Photos of food – where does it come from KUW, CLL
Leaf mobile CD,
Walk and collect leaves, acorns, conkers etc for tuff spot play PD, KUW, CD
Watch combine harvester and tractors KUW
Walk in the stubble fields to see what’s left KUW, PD

Obviuosly I don't get round to everything as kids change the direction all the time but there is always something to start us off.

I have expanding files with pictures to colour/recipes/things I pick up along the way all labelled in themes too.