PDA

View Full Version : would you report

tammerisk
02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
in light of the recent news and stuff
just a question

if you knew some one who was looking after someones elses children for money or reward would you report them???????

would just be intersested in your veiws

Princess Sara
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
If I thought the children were not being well looked after then yes, I would. Or if the person looking after the child was getting paid.

If I knew the child was ok and the parents were good friends with each other, no I wouldn't.

I know a couple of mums that job share and look after each others girls. They were friend before lo's were born, lo's are close in age, like sisters. Situation sounds fine to me, they know about childminders and would happily use one (me!) if they didn't have the situation that they do. They understand about what could happen if things go wrong, i.e no insurance etc, and they trust each other.

Depends on the situation I think.

Rubybubbles
02-10-2009, 04:41 PM
One of my very best friends is looking after her brothers children for £10 a day:panic:

I don't know what to do, because TBH the children are better off with their auntie:o

sarah707
02-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Where will it all end though?

Granny is illegally minding because she has the kids every weekend and takes a tenner to supplement her pension...

Auntie Sue is illegally minding because her sister pays her in cat food to look after the children every Saturday afternoon while she goes shopping...

Is grandad an illegal minder because he takes his grandchildren fishing at the weekend (more than 14 times a year) and his son buys his bait and floats to say thank you?

It needs sorting out and soon :(

jelly15
02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Completely agree with Princess Sara.:)

MissTinkerbell
02-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Granny is illegally minding because she has the kids every weekend and takes a tenner to supplement her pension...

Auntie Sue is illegally minding because her sister pays her in cat food to look after the children every Saturday afternoon while she goes shopping...

Is grandad an illegal minder because he takes his grandchildren fishing at the weekend (more than 14 times a year) and his son buys his bait and floats to say thank you?

Quite agree Sarah. So I suppose that my dad can't take the twins to the library every week and I pay for his petrol?

johnnydepp1
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
One of my very best friends is looking after her brothers children for £10 a day:panic:

I don't know what to do, because TBH the children are better off with their auntie:o

they probably would be better with their antie, but its not the same though because your best friend is looking after her family, so its not illegal

balloon
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
they probably would be better with their antie, but its not the same though because your best friend is looking after her family, so its not illegal

See, I don't get this, why is it illegal for a stranger to have undeclared income but not a family member? Surely its all tax fraud?

pinklady
02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I do know someone who stopped taking her daughter to a childminder because her friend now looks after her. She told me that although her daughter doesn't do as many things with her friend as she used to with her childminder she's happy because her friend doesn't charge her as much :rolleyes:

What annoys me more than anything is that a childminder (and she's a great CM) has lost a mindee and that someone who has no training, insurance, first aid etc gets to earn money for looking after children.

I think common sense tells you which arrangements ofsted should keep out of such as those between family, close friends etc.

We need someone sensible to sort it all out asap.

Lady Haha
02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I think it's this whole 'reward' bit that stinks!!! Yes, if some one has set up a business and is illegally childminding and getting paid, then they should be reported.

If some one wanted thier friend to pick up thier kid from school one day a week cos they finish late that day and wanted to chuck them a fiver to say thanks, then I say, leave them alone!!!!

I'm confused as a childminder! I have a training session in November on a Saturday morning and my mindees mum (who is also a friend) has offered to look after my son for me and in exchange I would give her a free after school session. So, in my mind, what we are planning to do would be totally against the law!!!! She would be illegally minding as she will be getting the reward of the free session, but I wouldnt?????

I have to say I think the situation is madness!

Daftbat
02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't report them.

Like Sarah says the whole thing needs clarification soon just so that everyone can just get on with what they are doing in the knowledge that they are not breaking any laws.

I did some minding a while ago in exchange for my car having a scratch removed from the side (someone lovingly "keyed" in for me:angry: ). It suited us both but have i defrauded the tax man??????? Will i go to jail do you think???????

nikim
02-10-2009, 05:45 PM

close family members are exempt and its only fraud if they are receiving payment and are on benefits

Tatjana
03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I've heard a few conversations in the school playground about this, basically saying they'd much rather trust their friends than complete strangers.

They aren't looking at the bigger picture though, in our households everyone over 16 is CRB checked so safeguarding children...ok they trust their friends, but how can they be sure their friends partners have a clear history when it comes to children etc, they are playing with fire.

My friend and her sister were abused by a family friend...her parents clearly trusted him.:panic:

xx

Bananabrain
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I have a couple of mindees who go to another 'childminder'

It didn't really register at first until I asked them what they did at the other childminders house. 'Jump on the beds and fight' was their response:angry:

What annoys me is that mum doesn't realise that I am any different. I haven't said a word as I don't consider it to be my business,but I am really peeved as these other 'minders' are probably getting paid the same as me.

PixiePetal
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
The policewomen who were in the news have at least brought this into the light for discussion and it is not so easily cut and dried.

I have a friend who was a nanny, had a DD at the same time as a friend. They are both lone parents. The friend (not my friend) works shifts and they help each other out.Without her she could not work. The girls are like sisters and I am keeping quiet.

wendywu
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
No i would not :panic:

FussyElmo
03-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Depends on the situation. If it was a friend helping out a friend and the reward was free childcare back gosh no - I do this with my friend all the time. However if it is some woman trading illegally as a childminder having alot of children defrauding the state etc then yes.

Whats the betting when an illegal arrangement goes bad and it will do. It will be all over the news about bad childminders but it wont be a childminder and yet we will get tarred with the same brush.

The policewomen story has probably come to light because they are police and it was someone they have prosecuted who has reported them!!

The law is there to protect the children (not saying I agree with parents not having the freedom to choose who they want to look after their children) I hope if the do amend the law they get it right or it will be some poor innocent child who suffers.

Alibali
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
No I wouldn't if the child was happy and it's only a friend doing another friend a favour.