PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory to be in Reception Class

Zoomie
02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I have googled this, but I am obviously not using the right words cos I can't find what I am after, without trawling through pages and pages.

My friends LO was 4 in late August, so in now in Reception class. He is really struggling emotionally .... especially for the lunch / afternoon session.

Without getting into the whole home schooling thing, what age is it compulsory for children to attend full time school ?

amny thanks

jaja
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Legallly your child doesnt have to be in school until they are five, so he hang back a year and go next year... The council carnt get in touch or take action because he isnt 5 yet, once he turns 5 then they can come into school and home to find out why he isnt attending, until then its up to the parents....

good luck and do whats right the the lo

xxx

moogster1a
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
isn't it by their fifth birthday?

Zoomie
02-10-2009, 11:19 AM
thanks this is what I thought.

Now friend has to talk to nursery about allowing him to attend half day ... and hopefully work his way up to doing a full day session later in the year.

Mouse
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/atoz/c/compulsoryschoolage/

This page on Teachernet explains it.

As far as I know, if a child doesn't start school until after their 5th birthday, they join school at the stage they would be at if they had started at 4 (if that makes sense). So, if a child misses most of reception year, they would go straight into year 1. ie. they wouldn't start at the beginning of reception again. If your friend's son is struggling now, he might find it even harder starting again at a later date.

She needs to go into school and get him some help now. It might be that they agree to him doing half days for a while.

singlewiththree
02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
looked into it for DD1 years ago and also for DD3 who is due to start next Sept. If you keep your child off for a year until they are 5 then they have to go straight into year 1 and miss reception all together. There is a boy in my DD2's class just doing mornings he isn't ready to stay all day. I'm planning the same for DD3 next year. I think doing half mornings like they do at nursery will be a key to settling into school without doing the full days.

sweets
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
they do not have to attend school till the term after their 5th birthday. personally i wouldnt send a child at just 4 as its just too young for most of them. the only problem with sending them later tho is that they have to go into year 1 and not reception and the school does not have to keep a place open for them till then.

Mt friends child was 4 on the 30th aug and she was worried about sending her but the school reassured that it would be ok and that she will cope! she has struggled all through her school life and my friend now really regrets sending her, and then not pulling her out earlier.

Other countries have the right idea and dont start children till at least 5 and often much later.

singlewiththree
02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
they do not have to attend school till the term after their 5th birthday. personally i wouldnt send a child at just 4 as its just too young for most of them. the only problem with sending them later tho is that they have to go into year 1 and not reception and the school does not have to keep a place open for them till then.

Mt friends child was 4 on the 30th aug and she was worried about sending her but the school reassured that it would be ok and that she will cope! she has struggled all through her school life and my friend now really regrets sending her, and then not pulling her out earlier.

Other countries have the right idea and dont start children till at least 5 and often much later.

I agree with sending them later, I'm doing ED209 Open Uni at the moment all the evidence points that children learn better later on than earlier. My DD will be 4 on 29th August and I've already told the school that she is starting part time until at least Christmas then we will evaluate what is going on. They aren't happy with it but they don't have much choice. I have a Child in reception at the moment and another in Yr4. I've told them I know my child best and I will decide when she is able to cope full time. I really wish they would bring back the january intake for these children!

Princess Sara
02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
DS1 is a May baby so not quite as young as some being spoken about, but he coped perfectly fine. He has always been a very independent child, fine motor skills ahead of his peers and even children in the year ahead.

DS2 (July baby) however, will mostly likely be physically able to cope, but mentally I doubt it. He's clingy, and will sit on my lap all day long if I let him. Just opposite ds1 in every way. He won't start for a couple of years though so may change, but I will not hesitate keeping him at home til he's 5.

LisaH
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
My youngest son was born on 31st August and he struggled at school too. He's in year 2 now and has caught up with the rest of his class but he definately struggled at first!!!

MissTinkerbell
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I have googled this, but I am obviously not using the right words cos I can't find what I am after, without trawling through pages and pages.

My friends LO was 4 in late August, so in now in Reception class. He is really struggling emotionally .... especially for the lunch / afternoon session.

Without getting into the whole home schooling thing, what age is it compulsory for children to attend full time school ?

amny thanks

As an ex-Reception teacher children do not have to be in school full time until the term in which they turn 5. So your friend's little one would not have to be in school full time until the Summer Term after Easter holidays in 2010.

We had a little girl who was in a similar situation and during her Rec year - she didn't attend in the Autumn Term and she attended part time after Xmas. She turned 5 in the Aug so should have been full time in the Summer Term. However mum refused to send her full time (mum had big issues of her own with school) and as SENCO I had to get the EWO involved because legally she should have been in full time. Eventually mum took her out and home schooled her.

It's a small world
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Guess im lucky. My ds bday is also 31aug and we were very concerned about his age and development even though nursery said hes very bright for his age. Anyway every parents eve we raise the same issue about being the youngest esp as when they start a new school year most of his friends have their bdays and so are pretty much 1yr older. Anyway hes in yr2 this year and doing well , to the point that 7-8 children in his year have been chosen to do a french club (another parent has said its because they are some of the brighter ones in the year, but will get more of an idea at open day in a few weeks. I know its not necessarily fair on some of the other children but I feel quite proud as my son is the youngest in the year (literally) and is one of the top of the class. He's one of the brightest in most areas.)

Dont mean to brag but so proud of him. I was shocked to read that children dont have to start school until 5 and can skip reception in my opinion I know its hard because of their age but surely would they not miss out as when they start yr1 alot of children will have bonded with each other from reception and have an insight to school routines. Would it not be a shock to a child who just starts in yr1 and misses all the early stuff.

Please do not think badly of me I just know that even though its hard, by working with the teachers maybe half days for a couple of weeks or something this lo will soon love school I know mine does (like I said maybe Im just lucky that he settled in really well despite being so young.

Hope whatever the parent decides its the right choice for the child and that everything works out for them all

Sorry to have gone on but understand having a young child at school. Going to be total opposite when youngest ds starts as his bday is september so hes going to one of the oldest :laughing: :laughing: Guess I'll get and idea of both sides :laughing:

Blackhorse
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I am really worried about sending my dd to school over here..

In austria the thoughts are that kids are better left at home/kindergarten
until they are 6 or 7!

They can start whenever and will always end up in primary 1. There is no such thing as a reception class. so no matter what age they start (6 or 7) they come into the same level and all meet each other for the first time together...I personally think this is a much better system of dealing with it than it is over here. I was personally really shocked to find out how early children go to school over here....

Rubybubbles
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Guess im lucky. My ds bday is also 31aug and we were very concerned about his age and development even though nursery said hes very bright for his age. Anyway every parents eve we raise the same issue about being the youngest esp as when they start a new school year most of his friends have their bdays and so are pretty much 1yr older. Anyway hes in yr2 this year and doing well , to the point that 7-8 children in his year have been chosen to do a french club (another parent has said its because they are some of the brighter ones in the year, but will get more of an idea at open day in a few weeks. I know its not necessarily fair on some of the other children but I feel quite proud as my son is the youngest in the year (literally) and is one of the top of the class. He's one of the brightest in most areas.)

Dont mean to brag but so proud of him. I was shocked to read that children dont have to start school until 5 and can skip reception in my opinion I know its hard because of their age but surely would they not miss out as when they start yr1 alot of children will have bonded with each other from reception and have an insight to school routines. Would it not be a shock to a child who just starts in yr1 and misses all the early stuff.

Please do not think badly of me I just know that even though its hard, by working with the teachers maybe half days for a couple of weeks or something this lo will soon love school I know mine does (like I said maybe Im just lucky that he settled in really well despite being so young.

Hope whatever the parent decides its the right choice for the child and that everything works out for them all

Sorry to have gone on but understand having a young child at school. Going to be total opposite when youngest ds starts as his bday is september so hes going to one of the oldest :laughing: :laughing: Guess I'll get and idea of both sides :laughing:

Brag away cos I am going to too lol!! My dd turned 5 on 28th August and started reception last September and she is streets ahead:clapping:

My friends dd is 5 in Novemeber (so only 3 months younger) and was very very impressed when she babysat for me and dd was reading to her and drawing:D

For me sending full time was def the best, and if I had waited until the summer term I know she would be behind in her work as pre-school just did not cox her enough:thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
02-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I haven't read the complete thread so this could already have been said but here goes.

Its fab that LO's don't have to start school until they are 5 but in this country its a farce because when they do start at 5 they go straight into yr1 and not reception so the poor loves have to fit into an already established group and on top of that they are expected to know all that went before in reception. - Mind you with EYFS it should be easier on them as they shouldn't do so much formal learning in reception as they used to so those who join the group in yr 1 should all be on a level pegging with the ones who have been through reception.

I was lucky that my two were both born in the autumn term and my DD who was particularly clingy and shy turned 5 within a day or 2 of starting. DS was 5 in the November but as I used to teach reception age children in a pre prep class at the Nursery where I worked so they were both moved into my class and I knew taught them along with the other kiddies so they learned at their own pace - both could read and write before they went to school - Son much better than daughter but thats another story!!!

Zoomie
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
My friends doesn't necessarily want to keep him out of school, especially in that he has quite a number of friends in the class. However, most of these children are actually still in nursery (as their birthdays fall after Sept) as our school operates a mixed classed.

And she is aware also that he will have to leave all these friends when he reaches year 1, as that is in a different class altogether.

Right now, a whole day just seems too much for him. Bless him, he was crying before he even got his school uniform on today.:(

madasahatter
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
With late born children it is possible to hold them back so that they start reception just after they turn 5. You generally really have to push it though to get what you want. A couple of parents have done this in our local school. It was a struggle getting the school to agree to effectively hold the child back a year but having known the 2 children through preschool it was probably the right decision for the children.
Most schools do not like children to move out of their 'correct' year group but sometimes you have to give it a go. Another friend managed to get her child moved up a year group because he was by far and away the brightest in his class. He has just moved up to secondary school a year early!

youarewhatyoueat
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
My ds who is a summer baby did a 4 day week quite happily and the school were fine with it too, you can do what you like until they are 5 and you can not lose the place once you have been offered it. But it is still early days and may need extra time to settle.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
thanks this is what I thought.

Now friend has to talk to nursery about allowing him to attend half day ... and hopefully work his way up to doing a full day session later in the year.

I have a friend who collected her child every lunch time and then after lunch until she settled.

Lady Haha
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I am really worried about sending my dd to school over here..

In austria the thoughts are that kids are better left at home/kindergarten
until they are 6 or 7!

They can start whenever and will always end up in primary 1. There is no such thing as a reception class. so no matter what age they start (6 or 7) they come into the same level and all meet each other for the first time together...I personally think this is a much better system of dealing with it than it is over here. I was personally really shocked to find out how early children go to school over here....

I have to agree with you! They are too young at 4! And the goals they are set are too demanding also! Why does a year 2 child have to learn their five times table!!! Grrrr!! Knew it fine when she was in year 3, able to understand the concept better. Why do they have to push them so hard!!! Rant over!

manjay
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I am having trouble persuading my 3 yr old that he is too young to go to pre school and nursery 5 days a week:rolleyes: He was 3 in May and he has access to school from 9-3 each day. I want him home with me but he is chomping at the bit to go! Not sure what that says about me!

My eldest was 17 on 29th August and we lived in England when she started school and she started in the January. DD2 is also born in August and she started full time school a few weeks later. She loved it and both girls have always been ahead of their peers. However each child is an individual and should be treated as such. So if they are not dealing with full days then the school should accomodate IMO.

tulip0803
02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
The LA here has a policy of starting them B4 their 4th birthday. Some schools only have one intake so an Aug born child could start full-time school at just turned 3:eek: . DD2 started the term she turned 4 (she is coming up 6 & been at school 2 years) but she was ready.

However in Wales we run the Foundation Phase which is like the Scandanavian Kindergarten system and they do not start "formal" classroom sitting at desk school until they reach juniors.:D

As said before you do not have to send a child until the term after their 5th birthday - so for an Aug born child that would be Sept.

sammy
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
my little one will turn 4 next year on 31st August. He goes to nursery at the moment and seems so tiny compared to all the others, luckily he is very good with communicating so he will always tell me things and can talk to the teachers, but i worry more about the emotional side of things, like if he needs a cuddle or support in using the toilet etc. He is my little baby, if only i could of kept him in my tummy for another few hours i would have... as i would much prefer him to be the oldest in the class. I just hope the teachers realise he is the youngest and may need more guidance as i find the school my older boys go to the teachers want them to do everything on there own, and i mean EVERYTHING! which sometimes can be unrealistic for little ones to manage.

i wouldnt mind but most the teachers dont even have their own children so how can they really understand from the little ones point of view and needs like a mother can notice?