PDA

View Full Version : emergency contact cards

Polly2
02-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Morning all
I have been trying to put all my mindees emergency info on little cards to carry in my bag.
This was someone on heres fab idea :thumbsup:

So far I have name, D.O.B. mums mobile, allergies, medication and a small picture of the child.

Do you think this is ok? Is there anything else I need to include?

I also have one for myself with emergency cm number on and that I am asthmatic etc.

Have I forgotten anything do you think?
Thanks for your help as always xx

sarah707
02-10-2009, 08:36 AM
An emergency contact if mum isn't available?

It's a tricky balance between giving out too much which might be lost and not offering enough that is needed isn't it?

Hth :D

youarewhatyoueat
02-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I also carry my husbands contact details as he knows the children I care for and in an emergency would be able to contact the parents etc I use a small photo album with a permission form for emergency treatment signed and 2 contacts for the children,d.o.b and doctors details

Curly Quavers
02-10-2009, 08:54 AM
My cards have

Name
Small picture of child
Doctor Surgery
Dental Surgery
3 emergency contacts

no DOB

hope that helps

Tatjana
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
GP's contact details.

I was told a photo isn't a good idea.

xx

Curly Quavers
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I think the picture is a good idea because if you have an emergency and you for what ever reason are unconscious how would the police know for instance which child is which if they can't talk yet and no pictures either.

Just my view (everybody is different)

:thumbsup:

sarah707
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I think the picture is a good idea because if you have an emergency and you for what ever reason are unconscious how would the police know for instance which child is which if they can't talk yet and no pictures either.

:thumbsup:

That's why mine have photos.

Like I said before it's a fine line isn't it and hard sometimes to do the right thing...

But I do feel it's important to consider what might happen if I cannot speak for the children.

:D

Polly2
02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the ideas

I think I will include a picture with parents permission, also another contact number.

Should I not have d.o.b. on then? I just thought in an emergency doctor might need to know?

Helen79
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I have
child's name
d.o.b
emergency contacts
photo
any allergies/medication
on the back it says something like 'I give permission for my childminder ......... to seek emergency medical treatment for my child ...............
signed parent ........'

I have cards for my own children & me with my husbands contact details on too

I have written permission from parents for me to include the photo.

miffy
02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Should I not have d.o.b. on then? I just thought in an emergency doctor might need to know?

I have dob on mine

Miffy xx

Polly2
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks so much guys - seems like I am on the right track :D

Maguiresmonkeys
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Each of my mindees have their own card with-

First name
Photo
2 emergency Contact numbers per child
And any allergys info

I also have a card for myself with my photo and stating that i am a childminder and emergency contacts for myself.

When I showed these to Ofsted they were pleased that I hadn't put on DoB and second name....but I suppose all inspectors are different....

angiemog
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I have just done mine and decided against a photo. I just have first name, born Nov 07 etc and then emergency contact numbers with parents first names. On my card with my details I have my full name and contact details. x

nikim
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
this reminded me about a conversation i had last week with another minder , 1 of her mindees has asthma and she was looking after her whilst she was of school with a chest infection ,to cut a long story short the child got worse very quickly and the minder had to call an ambulance after they arrived she showed them the permission form and they said they would always treat a casualty in an emergency wether they had permission or not , so therfore it would be pointless having permission forms with you all the time because if you were in an accident with the children do you think the emergency services would stop to look for permission forms before treating them ? they told her all they needed to know was childs name ,d.o.b, home address and phone and parents contact no. , and allergies so she now has a seperate sheet of A4 for each child containing this information at the front of their files so should the need arise again she could pull it out and hand it over:)

TheBTeam
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
I definately have to have photos on mine, i have three boys that we care for that were born within 2 months of each other, no use putting just a date of birth on the information as they would have no idea which was which, two in particular have a very similar verbal description and up until the last couple of months looked incredibly similar.

I also have a dd and care for her school friend in the holidays, the friend has allergies, but the description, down to hair colour, eye colour, build etc is the same, and they used to get mistaken for each other before, only a photo would give you the right one.

carlen222
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
i placed an order with scma for contracts that arrived yesterday and guess what...they sent a freebie!!!! emergency contact cards!!! they read 'i am a childminder, please be aware the children that are with me may not be my own. Their details are enclosed'. it has 2 spaces for name and telephone number. then on reverse has name, membership number, known allergies, known medical conditions and a place for a photo. comes in a wee holder with a space for each card!!! great idea i thought for a freebie!!

Demonjill
02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
i placed an order with scma for contracts that arrived yesterday and guess what...they sent a freebie!!!! emergency contact cards!!! they read 'i am a childminder, please be aware the children that are with me may not be my own. Their details are enclosed'. it has 2 spaces for name and telephone number. then on reverse has name, membership number, known allergies, known medical conditions and a place for a photo. comes in a wee holder with a space for each card!!! great idea i thought for a freebie!!

That sounds fab!!:thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
03-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I show the parents that I carry the details with me and I also get them to sign the emergency medical permission slip, and I also give them my husbands contact details as he always knows where I am going and when. Its an extra safeguard for me and the children, and if for any reason parents can not contact me at least they can contact my husband, mobile reception around here can be a bit dodgy.

miss muffit
03-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I carry my details in a credit card wallet ( left in my minding bag at all times)

I have my husbands name and contact numbers
my emergency childminders contact numbers
childs name dob parents names contact numbers work home mobile
and a photo of child, incase i am unconscious ect...

I also have a card in car saying the children in my car are minded and hubbys contact number and one in my purse :D

Tatjana
03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
How are we supposed to know what to do for the best when we all seem to be advised different things.:eek:

I was told no photos as it could be a safeguarding issue :rolleyes:

xx

Trouble
03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
i have all of the above and drs phone numbers

i have one set in car and spares to put in there pocket if we go out

with my mobile number on back incase they get lost:D

sarah707
04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Are these any use?

You can put photos or other information on the back and laminate them for longer life.

I haven't copyrighted them because I've used everyone's ideas to put them together so they are a joint effort

Edited to note - a copy of this document has now been put into free downloads :D

janey81
04-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks Sarah those cards are really good. I am not putting a photo as my youngest mindee is 5, so they are all able to say their names.

Do I need to carry a medical permission form with me for the older children?

Jane

Polly2
05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all you posts...really helpful:thumbsup:

helenlc
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for those Sarah - going to print them off later and laminate them.

I am going to put photos with mine - all 3 of my mindees are aged 2 and under so not able to tell their names.

estrelas
05-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Sarah Thank you xx

little chickee
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
i think that even with older kids a photo is still a good idea - we do all tell them not to talk to strangers after all so in a stressful, frightening situation with their cm taken ill they may well clam up and not say a word!!

Minstrel
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks Sarah those cards are really good. I am not putting a photo as my youngest mindee is 5, so they are all able to say their names.

Do I need to carry a medical permission form with me for the older children?

Jane

What if you were all in an accident and unconscious?

mama2three
29-01-2010, 07:10 PM
i had a pre-inspection visit today from my dw - she used to be an inspector. The one thing she picked me up on was although i carry these cards , i do not take the parental permission for medical advice / treatment out with me. So if anything did happen the permission would be at home not with me at the emergency / hospital / wherever.
So ive just put a sticker on the back of each card with ' i give permission for the seeking of necessary medical advice and the administration of emergency medical treatment as deemed appropriate by the emergency services or medical professional' signed...........(parent)
Do you think that will suffice?? thankyou x

beccas
29-01-2010, 07:19 PM
mine have photo on then they say
i am with my childminder Rebecca mughal.
emergency contact numbers xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
i have no allergies

I am autisc/adhd,muslim,jewish (where needed)

my ofsted inspector said they were a really good idea

It's a small world
29-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Mine have child pic ( I know some people say safeguardin but if you have 3 two year olds a pic can help if I am unable to tell emergency services who is who they can see from pics)I get parents permission for pic if parents arent happy no pic goes on. I also have parents name/ tel & mobile an emergency contact, tel & mobile , doctors details . I carry one for my own ds's and myself which have dh details etc and I do one for parents of mindees explaining that they have a child who maybe at their childminder and give my name and mobile only .

It's a small world
29-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh I also have a note saying that should a child need medical assistance parents permit this and parents sign this .

Carpet Monkeys
29-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm almost sure when I done my unit 1 course we were told not to put the childs' name on it! I'll have to dig out my course notes. I like the bit on the reverse of the card to get the parent to sign it!

TheBTeam
29-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I will argue my case with ofsted should the need arise that i have risk assessed and have found the safest is to have the photo and name/dob and phone numbers for carers on the cards, this ensures that should the child of any age not be able to speak then they can be identified, if i am unable to do it.

I have so many similarities between the children I care for, and one mindee and my dd could easily be mistaken for each other that if there was a problem I would want the emergency services to easily be able to identify the children. Can you imagine if they phone the parent of the girl who is like my dd and said there had been an accident but they did not know whether it was her dd or the minders dd hurt, cos they look very similar and are the same build, and in the past have constantly been muddled up by teachers!

Daisy1956
29-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Sarah, another thing for my must do tomorrow list but much easier than tha A4 sheets i use now

carolinel
03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm just in the process of re-doing my emergency cards, and hadn't even considered including the parents permission to seek medical attention.

I don't understand why Ofsted should pull anyone up on this if they havent got the form with them, if you've got permission then you've got permission whether the form be at home or on your persons???

Caroline x

Twinkles
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think I could fit it all on one card !!

Photo , name , phone numbers , any allergies , dob, gp name and address and permission :panic:

miffy
03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm just in the process of re-doing my emergency cards, and hadn't even considered including the parents permission to seek medical attention.

I don't understand why Ofsted should pull anyone up on this if they havent got the form with them, if you've got permission then you've got permission whether the form be at home or on your persons???

Caroline x

I haven't got this permission included on my emergency cards either (do have a form signed by parents).
When I've had to seek medical attention for a mindee (fingers trapped in door, something stuck in eye etc) I've never been asked by the dr if I had parent's permission.
Surely if a child needs medical attention a dr will treat them anyway. I know part of the argument is that we have to cover ourselves but sometimes the extent Ofsted want us to go to just drives me mad!

Miffy xx