PDA

View Full Version : Conference feedback

sarah707
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Communication Friendly Spaces

2 ladies from Elizabeth Jarman Ltd - http://www.elizabethjarmanltd.co.uk/cfs.php crawled around the floor, reminding us to view the world we create for children from their viewpoint!

Check for drafts, make sure the carpet or flooring is clean and smells nice, keep things calm and relaxed, do not over-clutter your resources, keep down the noise, use natural lighting where possible...

Most importantly remember that when you want to relax, you usually go for a curl up somewhere soft and cosy. Is there anywhere like that in your home that the children can use? What about outside - can the children relax and curl up with cushions and blankets on a bench?

Safeguarding

Catherine Rushforth from Catherine Rushforth and Associates Training (new website due to be launched soon) talked about safeguarding children.

She advised all of us to write a code of conduct related to safeguarding and referenced a booklet ‘Guidance for Safer working practice for adults who work with children and young people’, Nov 2007 as a useful publication when writing the code.

Here are some of the ideas she talked about for including in your code of conduct – how we protect children through observation... how working with parents and other agencies protects children... our own high expectations of how we work with children ... our understanding that early intervention can make a huge difference in children’s lives... a commitment to protecting children from abuse... Whistleblowing policies... confidentiality policies... robust safeguarding procedures... ‘What to do if you think a child is being abused’ paperwork...

Ofsted

They mostly gave details that we already know from this thread here –
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41375&highlight=childcare+register

... about how the Childcare Register has been updated to bring complaints and some of the assistants issues in line with the EYFS.

They confirmed that if we offer wrap around care, we should not be looking to meet all 6 areas of learning and development with every child each day. Instead we need to offer a complementary care, that recognises the child has been busy at school all day. So long as we focus on PSED and the children are happy to play and rest in our care, then we are meeting their needs.

They also said that simple observations that say something are better than reams of paper that means nothing to the reader... and doesn’t do anything to support the child’s future learning and development. We should be making simple notes, keeping samples of work with notes attached to explain the process the child took to make the work (picture, model photo etc), using photos to show what the child does, sharing information with parents, linking things to the EYFS and explaining to parents how next steps work, so they can support children at home... these are the things that will get us good inspection results.

About the SEF – the updated version might not be online until the end of October BUT it will (or should) contain all information from any SEF you have uploaded already... this is what is causing the delay apparently. I still say back up your original... you never know!

Advice for completing the SEF - keep your SEF to the point, involve parents and children when writing it, evaluate what you do and whether it works... and make sure you cover the statutory bits of the EYFS.

Observation

There was a fascinating talk about observation by the head of a Dorset school. She was so enthusiastic about how observation can really make a difference if it’s done right!

She said that it’s not just about watching and listening to children and making notes... we should also observe the environment and ourselves!

Children – what are they telling us? How can we improve things for them? What might they enjoy next? How do we know?

Environment – how do we use the space? Is it set out for the children? Can they move around? Do the resources meet their needs?

Ourselves – what did we do really well today? What could we improve? Who can help us to get better?

Most important of all is to include the child’s voice in our observations... write down what the child has said and ask for his comments... it is his learning journey after all!

I had THE BEST day! :clapping:

I was welcomed and included and it was just great to hear lots of positive things said about childminders.

I hope I’ve managed to share some of it with you and maybe inspire you to make a new cosy space, update your safeguarding policy or observe yourself just a little more closely next time you have some free time. :D

Pipsqueak
02-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Thats really interesting and thank you for sharing it with us. I will be looking at the websites a bit later (today is a designated paperwork day)..

Sounds lke you had a lovely day:clapping: :clapping: Well done :thumbsup:

Polly2
02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info Sarah....lots of food for thought :thumbsup:

squiggle
02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
i have done the communication friendly spaces course - over 2 saturdays with elizabeth jarman. it was fab

glad you had a good day xx

youarewhatyoueat
02-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Thank you for sharing x

Heaven Scent
02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that Sarah, will give you a call later for a chat and will see you next Tues evening.

I observe myself all the time - every time I pass a mirror or shop window I just cant help looking and observing how wonderful I am?

As for the cosy gorner I sorted a bed of nails in the playroom but the kiddies wont use it - Don't know why I bother really. As for the garden I have a fab steaming compost heap - really warm and comfy!!!!

With regard to safeguarding I find tying them to a chair and not letting them move all day tends to keep them safe from harm.

I do take the gags off every now and then to let them talk especiall when I want them to eat their gruel.

Do you think I will pass????!!!!!

Sorry got some good news at the hosp last night so am on a bit of a high and am being really silly.

So pleased you had a great day - would love to hear some examples of some of the good feedback you had about childminders and what kind of people gave it - it needs to be made public!!!!

Speak later

C XXX

wendywu
02-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Sounds like you were in your element Sarah. Well done :thumbsup:

breezy
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
thats great, thanks Sarah, wish you could have taped it all for us!
Glad they made you so welcome too, roll on next time!

caroljayne
02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks Sarah, sounds like you had a really interesting time - I am hoping to do the communication friendly spaces course at some point - will watch the video when I have time. Thanks for sharing.
XxXxX

buildingblocks
02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for that Sarah, will give you a call later for a chat and will see you next Tues evening.

I observe myself all the time - every time I pass a mirror or shop window I just cant help looking and observing how wonderful I am?

As for the cosy gorner I sorted a bed of nails in the playroom but the kiddies wont use it - Don't know why I bother really. As for the garden I have a fab steaming compost heap - really warm and comfy!!!!

With regard to safeguarding I find tying them to a chair and not letting them move all day tends to keep them safe from harm.

I do take the gags off every now and then to let them talk especiall when I want them to eat their gruel.

Do you think I will pass????!!!!!

Sorry got some good news at the hosp last night so am on a bit of a high and am being really silly.

So pleased you had a great day - would love to hear some examples of some of the good feedback you had about childminders and what kind of people gave it - it needs to be made public!!!!

Speak later

C XXX

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Gary says he can't see anything wrong with that all sounds perfectly okay - wonder why I wouldn't trust leaving him with my mindees

buildingblocks
02-10-2009, 10:35 AM
On a sensible note the communication Friendly places stuff is fantastic I had an opportunity to do a workshop in June on this.

I set up the Ikea igloo in my front room with cushions and blankets and explained to children it was for quiet times. children respected this and would be found reading in their and one child aged 6 snuggled down for a sleep in it.

littletreasures
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
My cosy corner where all the little ones head for:

The dog's bed!!!! Preferably with a dog in it!

Trouble
02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
thanks again sarah your a star:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Rubybubbles
02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
My cosy corner where all the little ones head for:

The dog's bed!!!! Preferably with a dog in it!

heehee sounds like my house:laughing:

HomefromHome
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
thanks sarah - some great points in there! :clapping:

nemo97
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you sarah for sharing. :clapping:

misst104
02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Really interesting. Thanks for the feedback Sarah. Glad you had a good day :thumbsup:

xxx jo

miffy
02-10-2009, 01:12 PM
i have done the communication friendly spaces course - over 2 saturdays with elizabeth jarman. it was fab

Me too!!

Thanks Sarah - some useful stuff there

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks Sarah, weren't you speaking at this one? how did it go?

Madminder
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for sharing, glad you enjoyed the day.

pinklady
02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks Sarah. What a lovely positive day you had.:)

sarah707
02-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Sarah, weren't you speaking at this one? how did it go?

It was brilliant! Thank you for asking... I really enjoyed the whole experience :D

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Thank Sarah for sharing everything that was said xx

ajs
02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Me too!!

Thanks Sarah - some useful stuff there

Miffy xx

me three
squiggle do we know you
did you do it at county hall in nottingham

ajs
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
It was brilliant! Thank you for asking... I really enjoyed the whole experience :D

the day sounds like it was a good one well done sarah for your input and thanks for sharing

hello kitty
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Sounds interesting Sarah, thanks for sharing. :)

jibberjitz
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for info:thumbsup:

uf353432
02-10-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks for the feedback Sarah -

who was the teacher in dorset - do you remember her name or the school?

ORKSIE
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks Sarah, glad you had a good day:thumbsup:

angiemog
02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you Sarah, Hmmm where can I put my little cosy space??? I will find somewhere. x

sarah707
03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
thanks for the feedback Sarah -

who was the teacher in dorset - do you remember her name or the school?

Sorry I can't find it any more, they have taken the link for the conference off now it's over!

I was sat next to her as well :o

The Juggler
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM
sarah - thank you - especially the wraparound information - this will take reduce the workload substantially with two of my mindees in the under 8 group.

LOL

TheBTeam
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the information, i wish in this area we had opportunities for help to find the kind of speakers that cover the cfs stuff etc, we have as a childminding group been able to access some wonderful people on children with additional needs type subjects, but everything else available is so old and been done to death, that we don't bother with it now, this has made it difficult to access developmental training rather than just what is compulsory.

The only evening we have access to a course i am interested in was a 'progress matters' one and typically it is the one evening i am going to see England play at wembley!!

The Juggler
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Sarah would you mind if I take the Ofsted information to share at my local CM group. I think this will be really useful.

LOL

Zoemum2four
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Very interesting read Sarah, thanks for sharing :laughing:

sarah707
04-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Sarah would you mind if I take the Ofsted information to share at my local CM group. I think this will be really useful.

LOL

Of course not! It's there for sharing :D

squiggle
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
me three
squiggle do we know you
did you do it at county hall in nottingham

no, i did it at mickleover court hotel, i'm in derbyshire but nottingham side just off a610 so possibly not far from you
xx

The Juggler
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Of course not! It's there for sharing :D

fabulous. what would we do without you!