PDA

View Full Version : free nursery places

julie w
01-10-2009, 06:43 PM
One of my mindees is 3 in January and her mum has told me she wants to claim the free 15 hours nursery a week. I am not accredited so unfortunately I cannot offer this myself. So then she's asked would I take her to a local nursery for 3 hours, 5 days a week. She wants me to drop her off and pick her up from the nursery. I explained she would still have to pay me full, but she said she then wont be getting the benefit of a free nursery place. How do others work this with full time mindees. I really wouldn't want to lose the child over this. Thankyou.

Mrs.L.C
01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
This is difficult as you would be expected to be available if the pre school was closed (eg, school holidays) so you could not fill the space incase they need you so its completely understandable to still charge. However you can also see where the parent is coming from (if child was in a nursery full time, this would be taken off the bill during term time) and you dont want to lose the child.

Many childminder do charge whilst child is in pre school

I personly only charge for the first hour (to cover fuel costs) therefore parent gets 2 hours free but this pre school opens till 12pm

If you were to lose the child over this (which would be sad) would you beable to fill the place easily?

tammerisk
01-10-2009, 06:55 PM
it is oyur buisness so it is up to you how much you charge but is there any way you could offer a reduces price the hourly price for the free hours only works out to be about 50 to 60 pound any way i used to do nursery run like this and was charging 3.50 an hour when they were with me but a 10 pound a day drop of charge so in effect i didn't lose out but if parent wants you to drop off and pick up then i take it you will be emergancy contact while this child is at nursery so why should oyu not get paid as well as they would still be your responsbility

buildingblocks
01-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I charge if they are in nursery or preschool and I am responsible for dropping off and picking up.

I have only had one parent in the 6 years where I have done this but mum was quite happy paying me once he was in pre-school as she put it I am not paying twice like I was when he wasn't getting the free place - that she wasn't happy about.