PDA

View Full Version : hiviz --what age

mushpea
01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
what age do you make kids wear hiviz jackets for the school run?

i have waist coats for the under 5's and i have just bought belt/sashs for the 5-8yrolds then for the older ones i have bought an arm band, the older ones r my two and only cross one very small very quiet rd to go their school the other children and i cross a very busy rd.
I have waist coats for all the minded children with 'i am withmy childminder' and my phone number which i got from a lovley lady on here, they are for when we go places like the zoo so if they get lost they will be returend (hopefully) not that i ever loose kids:eek: oh dear probably talked that up now:laughing:
anyway i just thought that the 5yrs+ age bracket might have the mik taken if they wear bright waist coats to school and yes i know their saftey is more important which is why i have got them the belts.
have i done right?? should i make they al wear waist coats or should i not have worried about it at all??

mrsgreen
01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
hi there, yes i think belts are better for older ones. although to be honest, and dont get offended.... i think it may be too much for the school run? just my opinion. of course safety is first. i think for zoos etc they are better and at school may make older ones embaressed going to school?

miffy
01-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I find that a lot of children's bags, coats and footwear all have some flourescent markings on them so I don't make my children wear high vis vests.

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't use hi vis jackets for the school run, but do use them when we go on outings to most places other than our small local park, this is so that they can be spotted quickly from the group of children and people there, and so that they have 'lost contact details' on them.

It depends on the individual child and the exact place we are going to at which age i do not insist they wear them, i have one 7 year old who wanders a bit and is a bit wilful, so i make her wear one, because a)I want to be able to spot and check up on her quickly b) I want contact details on her in case, although not likely to get away out of sight, it just covers me! and c) probably slightly cruel, but it makes the point that she has to do as i tell her, which is something she is not used to as she is an only child and only has childcare for 3 days of the week in some of the school holidays, so has a very different set of rules the rest of the time with mum!

I do not make my own 10 year old wear one as he is very responsible and keeps safe distances of his own choosing, so is aware of where we are, my dd on the other hand is more daring and has less regard for our distance from her so will likely wear one till she is married with kids of her own!!!!:laughing:

loocyloo
02-10-2009, 07:10 AM
mine wear hi-viz on the school run, we walk along a busy road. they wear hi-viz waistcoats as soon as they are walking and out of the buggy! (in some cases held on/up by reins!) i used to put my juniors (7+) in hi-viz sashes, but as 'my' children get older, they have carried on wearing the hi-viz!

it is non-negotiable as far as i am concerned!

we also wear them when out & about during the day/holidays, especially in woods/parks/farms etc. if for no other reason than it helps me to spot them !!!

as far as i am aware none of the children have ever been teased about wearing them, and there are several other childminders AND parents who put their children in hi-viz!