PDA

View Full Version : toilet too late...

charliegee
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey all

sorry for what may be a TMI for some but I've been minding two afterschools today and feel AWFUL!

We went to soft play centre after school and little boy (M) was happy all day - came home - had juice and snack and then went to the loo. Was a bit longer than usual and when I came in to check on him he was really quiet adn seemed sad - I put it down to tiredness as he soon was back to normal - smiling - laughing - playing with other mindee.

When mum came to pick him up (about half an hour later) however he said "I wet myself" and showed that although his trousers were dry - his pants were wet and soiled with poo (sorry TMI!)

He'd never said and I felt terrible.......

Mum was fine and said he does sometimes have accidents but you know me....terrified of being sued / reported to ofsted and wanting to do everything correctly! - is there anything I should ahve done differently?

this is only his second proper day with me!

(and must stress - although wet pants - no wet trousers so I honestly couldn't have told otherwise - no smell or anything.)

sorry if TMI but need some words of wisdom!

xxx

miffy
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh bless him, he was probably too embarassed to say anything especially as it's all new to him and he's just getting to know you.

The only thing I'd do is just reassure him (while mum's there so she can back you up) that it doesn't matter if he has an accident but he must tell you so that you can get him some clean clothes etc.

Try not to worry about it, you couldn't have known what had happened

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
What could you have done? Not like you can check them everytime they go to the toilet. As it was his second day probably embarrassed to tell you and if mum is aware of him having accidents I wouldnt worry!!!

charliegee
01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
really silly question....but should I put it in my incident book? - don't want a complaint that I don't let children go to the toilet or something?!

(or am I being ridiculous?!)

thanks for your replys - poor little man - feel so sorry for him!

xxx

miffy
01-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I might make a note in his records but I wouldn't do an incident report.

As you say mum was already aware that he does have odd accidents then I don't think you need worry.

Miffy xx

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Presumably if he's after schooler then he'd be able to clean himself if too embarressed to tell you.

So how about making him up a little bag of supplies that you can leave in your bathroom and he can use without telling anyone- (you'd be able to guess though).

Fill it with spare clothes, wet wipes/flannel, towel, carrier bag for dirty things etc ).

Allie
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I would reasure him and show him where everything is so he can sort it himself, you could tell him you are there to help if he wants any assistance

Allie

grindal
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Having come off badly from ofsted for failing to record the worlds smallest scratch i would fill in an incident report. Just write down what happened and what you did, ask mum to sign and put in your files - obviously without making a big deal out of it in front of mindee!

Trouble
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Presumably if he's after schooler then he'd be able to clean himself if too embarressed to tell you.

So how about making him up a little bag of supplies that you can leave in your bathroom and he can use without telling anyone- (you'd be able to guess though).

Fill it with spare clothes, wet wipes/flannel, towel, carrier bag for dirty things etc ).

excellent idea:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
excellent idea:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Daftbat
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Don't worry about it - this kind of thing happens to us all. I had a nine year old who used to soil and i have had other times with younger children who have had accidents. Sometimes these happen even if you are looking out for them. Just reassure the child and in my experience the less fuss then the better.

Have a good weekend.