PDA

View Full Version : How old to care for a baby

tara
01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I might be losing my mindee as there is a issue over payment.My question is her daughter is moving back home and she is 17 years old is it legal for her to have the baby overnight while her mum works a 16 hour shift.I thought you had to be over 18 but im just checking.As l think this is what she may do :rolleyes:

moogster1a
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
yes. of course it's legal. She's a year older than legally being able to get married and have children of her own!
regarding babysitting, there's no legal age limit, but if something happened and the babysitter is uder 14, the parents might be prosecuted for eglect.

Minstrel
01-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Agree with all of above xx

PixiePetal
01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
yes. of course it's legal. She's a year older than legally being able to get married and have children of her own!
regarding babysitting, there's no legal age limit, but if something happened and the babysitter is uder 14, the parents might be prosecuted for eglect.

I thought it was 16? I won't let DD babysit yet as she is 15 and it would impact on me as well as parents of child if there were problems as she is still a minor.

sarah707
01-10-2009, 09:49 AM
There is no legal age for babysitters.

It is totally at the parents risk.

the generally accepted age is 14 but it totally depends on the child... some 14 year olds are competent and others are less so.

It is the responsibility of the parents using common sense to make the decision.

From a parents point of view, it is worth remembering that a child under 16 years old cannot be prosecuted for neglect or ill treatment.

Hth :D

youarewhatyoueat
01-10-2009, 10:45 AM
My dd is 14 and babysits and gets £5 per hour for 3 children tucked up in bed,.

tara
01-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I understand about that baby sitting is ok but this is over night but l thought this was the case l cant know im going to lose my only mindee :panic:

sarah707
01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I understand about that baby sitting is ok but this is over night but l thought this was the case l cant know im going to lose my only mindee :panic:

Sorry but it really is up to the parents - it's not illegal, it's just a matter of levels of risk.

I hope this one sorts itself out for you xx

LeeAnn
01-10-2009, 03:21 PM
nope don't think so , I had my son at 17 so ;) I also used to babysit form age 14/15 and at age 16 I once did an overnight babysitting job on New years eve. But that was 12 years ago now :laughing: so times may have changed!

Yeah it really worries me as there is no minimum age to leave your children alone either , you can only get prosecuted if something goes wrong :rolleyes:

mama2three
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I looked into the legal side of things and sarah is right , there is no law , just down to the parent to assess any risk. my ds1 was 16 last month and dh will now allow him to look after ds3 for a couple of hours if hes already asleep - before that i couldnt even pop to the shop!