PDA

View Full Version : What policy do you have for potty training?

Stanfield
30-09-2009, 08:14 PM
My new mindee's mum wants to start potty training ASAP, he is 15months old... in my opinion this seems very young (I just started last week on my 2 1/2 year old).
What is normal protocol for a childminder, I used to work at a nursery and potty training / accidents there are fine, but this is my home at the end of the day and if he is not ready, I donot want accidents all over my house!:panic:
Obviously I will expect and be fine with the occasional accident, but if he is just continuously doing it, is it OK for me to put a hold on it?

I was thinking of saying 3 accidents IN A ROW and he will have to have a nappy on, for hygine reasons, and to review the potty training with the parent if it doesnot seem to be working...

Do you think this sounds fair?

Winnie
30-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I say parents have to start the process so advise they choose a time when they can dedicate at least 3 full days to it. I'm happy to work with them once the child is ready. There is no way that i'm doing the training for them :rolleyes: .

TheBTeam
30-09-2009, 08:41 PM
my policy for potty training is that they sit on it and pee! :laughing: :laughing:

I do not have a written policy and take each case on its merits, but i usually insist on the parents starting it at least over the weekend and preferably a longer period, and it is better to leave it later and have less 'training', than the stress of keep having to ask a child, i believe it should not be 'training' more something that a child is capable of mastering before you make a chore of it!

youarewhatyoueat
30-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a parent who is going to be training her 18 month old in the half term and if it goes well in that week I will continue. I'm also going to send the potty I use home with her so she can be familier with it when she comes back. Its the parents job to potty train but mine to support and continue but like you I do not want wee all over my house, car seats and buggys.

Pipsqueak
30-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Why is she in such a rush? That does seem awfully young.

I would dig out some info on potty training especially stuff that highlights about waiting till the child is ready - I would also chip in with about waiting till summer, easier to do as outside more etc etc.

I would say to mum that you will be honest with her if you feel its not working out, no point pressuring the child and perhaps creating a problem with it etc. You also will not 'force' him.

Actually advise her to talk to the HV for the best ways and means.

miffy
30-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't have a policy for potty training but I would expect parents to start the process themselves and I would say when they've got a week to dedicate to it when they think their child is ready.

Personally I think 15 months is a bit too young but if the parent wants to give it a go in her time then that's up to her.

Miffy xx

Zoomie
30-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Observe whether you think the child is physically and emotionally ready to use the potty.

Google this ....

but of the top of my head
- can the child take off undies / trousers unassisted ?
- does the child know if they are wet / soiled?
- can the child hold on for a mili-second ?
- does the child want to use the potty ?
- can the child communicate the need for the potty ?

tall order for most 15m olds that I have seen.

ORKSIE
30-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I dont have a written policy on potty training, each child is different.
I do work with parents, and I do tell them if I think they are starting too soon.
I advise parents not to push their child as this can have an adverse effect:thumbsup:

tashaleee
01-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Observe whether you think the child is physically and emotionally ready to use the potty.

Google this ....

but of the top of my head
- can the child take off undies / trousers unassisted ?
- does the child know if they are wet / soiled?
- can the child hold on for a mili-second ?
- does the child want to use the potty ?
- can the child communicate the need for the potty ?

tall order for most 15m olds that I have seen.

Must admit I totally agree with the above. In my experience the youngest I have ever found that was fully toilet trained was 18 months - and I was still amazed when I took her on and parents told me! She only knew about 10 words but was absolutely fine. However, the parents trained her, not me.

If the child has no understanding at all about what they have done in their nappy then it is a total waste of time. I am still trying to convince a 2 1/2 year old that poos in their pants is not a good thing - some days they tell me first, some days after!!! :mad:

I also always insist that parents start the training at home - its not my job to do it for them and I rarely have the time for one on one care as I always mind more children (summer months are also easier - less clothing!).... If the parents are successful at home I will continue, but I always ask for pull ups/nappies for playgroups etc at the start (otherwise you end up with accidents most of the time as the child is happily playing and forgets) and even my children that are 'dry' still wear pull ups for sleeping with parents agreement. I also use a wetec (kind of a plastic liner that goes inside my car seat or buggy) to protect it - even with a 2 1/2 year old I have that has been dry for a couple of months (just to be on the safe side, though I know it would be a pure accident if she did make a mess) :laughing:

Also WHY does the parent want to start them so young? Is this their first child? If so, tell them to try it over the weekend - my bet is they wont be asking you to continue on the monday :laughing: (I had a first time parent and did this with her and she never mentioned it again for at least 6 months!)

I do have a policy - and its all about communication, support and working in partnership.....

Daftbat
01-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I think that this sounds too young. Its the old "talk to the parents" time i think and explain that in your wide "experience" that success will be unlikely and only cause more stress.

Hebs
01-10-2009, 09:29 AM
my 2 year old mindee's mum wants her potty trined but wont do it herself :rolleyes:

she keeps hinting at me to do it :rolleyes:

PixiePetal
01-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I say the parents must start first and have reasonable sucess which I will build on.

My nappy changing/toiletting policy says I have many years of experience and please ask if you are unsure. Pick a time when they have a few days clear to stay in at home to start and if I think they are not ready I will say.

Stanfield
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the help / advice ... I personally though thiis was too young and yes, it is their first child.
The thing is, he is with me 3days a week and nursery the other two, so I think she is thinking the hard work will be done for her as she only has2days and the nights with him. But if he is not ready then it just WONT happen!
Yes, I will suggest she trys it iver a weekend first.
I think I will have to have words and print out a sheet of the internet (mostly highlighting the bad points of starting too early!!!:D )

Would you contact the nursery he goes to to discuss this also (as he has been attending longer there, they would know if he is ready) I have consent to discuss his progress etc with nursery, but should I tell mum I am phoning specifically for this reason?

Lucy