PDA

View Full Version : Baby holding breath....??ADVICE please!!!

Maguiresmonkeys
30-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone,
Advice needed please......
Ive had mindee for third time today (9 months old). He gets very upset if I leave his side and goes mad if I leave the room. Im sure it will get better once he feels more settled and we get to know each other.....but...today while crying he held his breath quite a few times and took me blowing on his face to make him gasp :eek: Ive never come across this before and It really upset me. I mentioned it to mum and she has never seen him do this before.
Has this ever happened to any of your mindees/ own children and what is the best way of dealing with it??????? I have him again tomorrow and Im beginning to worry about what to do when I need to leave him (to nip to the loo or deal with other children)

Pipsqueak
30-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Quite a common thing for kids to do apparently. They WILL start breathing again - its an automatic reflex. Nevertheless, very scary for you and of course the little chap.

You sound very upbeat and positive about this - make sure you stay that way. you have done the right thing in mentioning to mum, perhaps document it as well and get parent to initial so you are covered.

http://www.parenting.org/expiratoryapneabreathholdingspells.asp

http://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/834

Lots of reassurance and cuddles for him but he needs to learn that you do need to go out of sight occasionally. So make very very short spells out the room - keep talking to him, tell him you will back very quickly, what you are doing, sing a song etc.

Minstrel
30-09-2009, 06:38 PM
This is actually quite common and whilst very distressing to see, he will come to no harm. The body will NOT let him jsut stop breathing- the VERY worst that will is that he will faint, and this will naturally get him breathing again as he wont be able to control it and he will come round again very quickly.

Again whilst very distrssing to watch- its just a phase which will hopefully pass very quickly as he settles.

Good luck xxx

Minstrel
30-09-2009, 06:39 PM
OOOOOO Snap! PIP :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
30-09-2009, 06:48 PM
oh someone linked you:thumbsup:

My little sister (now 25 lol) did this all the time, I always remember crying as mummy used to give her a hard slap on the back which pulled her out of it (doctor said to BTW!) and we were never smacked as children so it scared me lol

She used to do it up until the age of 4-5 though:eek:

Blaze
30-09-2009, 06:58 PM
What Pip & Minstrel said! You already know my little tip of blowing hard on the LO's face as this makes them take a breathe in.:thumbsup:

Helen79
I've looked after a few children who have done this.
I've always blown into their mouth. The air touching the back of their throats makes them gasp for a breath (doesn't sound very hygienic though lol)

The best thing to do is stay as calm as possible. Any reaction will teach them do it again for the attention.
Sounds like you've done the right thing.

sonia ann
if a toddler does it just raise their arms above their heads...it raises the diaphragm and makes them breathe out ....works every time:)

LOOPYLISA
30-09-2009, 07:03 PM
My neice used to do this,like others have said- blow in the face, i also used to gentle (whilst holding her) let her fall back in my arms, she naturally grasped for breath :panic:

Found out recently her dad used to do it aswell (my bro) till he turned blue in the face :eek:

Pudding Girl
30-09-2009, 07:14 PM
My cousin did this, tis temper most of the time, GP advised a sharp slap on the back of the legs which worked, although not for a minded child! Blowing in their face works which is exactly as you are doing so good on you :)

Maybe let mum know what to do in case lo starts it with her when they don't get their own way!

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
30-09-2009, 07:14 PM
blowing in their face def works

good luck

Pipsqueak
30-09-2009, 07:31 PM
if a toddler does it just raise their arms above their heads...it raises the diaphragm and makes them breathe out ....works every time:)

oh I remember being told this by the health visitor and yes it does work (sometimes helps my asthmatic son)

mushpea
30-09-2009, 08:16 PM
my friends child did this, she left me with him once whilst she poped to the loo he turned blue:eek: it scared me sh***less but she told me that he would just faint then start breathing automaticaly and she was so calm and theres me having this panicy hissy fit:laughing:
blooming kids why do we do this job??

sdean
30-09-2009, 08:17 PM
My daughter has done it since she was 1 and is now nearly 3 and still does it although it is when she has fallen or hurt herself. She totally passes out but as everyone else has said blow on her and she comes round in seconds (although it feels like hours). She is always exhausted when she comes round and usually off it for a while after x

Noodles
30-09-2009, 08:28 PM
My Daughter did this for the first 4 years of her life she is now 5 and hopefully she has grown out of it as it hasnt happened for a while now( they say by 5 they will grow out of it. Its not that they are holding their breath they exhale and then cannot inhale to take another breath in which caused them to pass out.
It is very scary and horrible to see we have had to dial 999 twice as she didnt come round very quickly after passing out.
The blowing on her face worked for a while but as she got older it stopped working.
What we found worked was placing a cold wet cloth or anything cold(once an ice pop from the freezer) on her face and that used to bring her back round again usually exhausted but ok.
PM me if i can be of any more help as i know how frightening it is

Pipsqueak
30-09-2009, 08:31 PM
you need to talk to mum to decide on a course of action that is acceptable to you both. how you are going to handle it and if you are going to document each occurance.

Maguiresmonkeys
01-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Thank you so much for all of the replies. He has actually *touch wood* been alot better today:) . Did it a few times this morning when I attempted to leave the room but has been a little star this afternoon....no crying when I put him down or leave the room :clapping:
I still cant believe he hasnt done it in front of anyone else (mum, dad etc)...mind you thats probably because he is always sat on their knee having a cuddle :rolleyes:
Anyway,thank you all again.....its a huge relief that I can get advice from everyone and share experiences and I now feel alot calmer about it all although it is very upsetting to see.

sarahlou
01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
blow in their faces it has worked 4 me in the past:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I still cant believe he hasnt done it in front of anyone else (mum, dad etc)...mind you thats probably because he is always sat on their knee having a cuddle :rolleyes:

sounds to me then that is the problem - he is not used to being left even for a few seconds (I am sure you can work on this problem then!)

glad you feel better and little chap is feeling more secure:clapping:

nic76
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
What Pip & Minstrel said! You already know my little tip of blowing hard on the LO's face as this makes them take a breathe in.:thumbsup:

this is what i used to do to one of my boys