PDA

View Full Version : Working mothers children are less fit?

singlewiththree
29-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Not if they go to a childminder who walks them everywhere in my opinion :laughing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8278742.stm

balloon
29-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Ahhhh, one of my mums was on about this when she dropped off this morning! I hadn't seen it on the news (don't have the TV on until mindees have gone home for the day (so much for them being plonked in front of the tv, lol!). Mum said it was stupid and knows they have plenty of exercise etc here. Her view was that they probably have a better life here than they would do at home!!! (a compliment indeed!)

More blinking rubbish to make parents feel guilty about trying to do the best of their kids :panic:

LeeAnn
29-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I saw this on the news at lunchtime, as one of the Mum's interviewed said - you are knocked if you go out to work and knocked if you stay at home. Mum's can never get it right ;) I think it is a lot of rubbish!

I don't think we can get away from the fact that children are less fit now than previous generations but I certainly don't believe it is because mum's go out to work

nic76
29-09-2009, 02:47 PM
i dont understand who they can say this. some mums do nothing with their kids even if they are home.

Blackhorse
29-09-2009, 03:24 PM
so they checked it with 12500 kids...
not sure that is enough to make a sweeping gereralisation across the entire population.

saying that it is a statistic...it does not mean ALL stay at home mums are active with their kids...and ALL go to work mums arent...
on either sides there will be all variations...from one exteme to the other...

statistics can be a good way of finding out things...but are also something that need to be dealt with and reported on carefully. I think

barbarella68
29-09-2009, 03:33 PM
One of the reason kids don't get much exercise is the government selling off playing fields to build houses, and not punishing paedophiles enough by letting them go, so parents are to scared to let there kids out.Idiots what do they expect.:mad:

Hebs
29-09-2009, 04:27 PM
i lost a mindee yesterday cos his parents weren't happy about him walking the 15/20 mins home from school :rolleyes:

heaven forbid he wants to play out for that long :laughing:

all he talked about was the Wii :(

my kids are very active and i've been a working mum since mark was 3,

load of tosh :rolleyes:

The Juggler
29-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Never thought of that, we're all working mums. I guess they mean those who use childcare?

At the end of the day parent's eating habits will influence their children I don't believe working affects it in the least. When I worked out of the home and had a childminder I used to tell her off for giving my son too many biscuits (pre-Ofsted days!) and I was so strict about what I gave him. Still am with my two and my mindees. Treats are allowed but they are exactly that - treats. My habits have not changed since I have stayed at home with them.

Parents who fill their kids with too many treats and fizzy drinks cross the social and employment spectrum IMO.

Twinkles
29-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I wonder if they looked at childminded children or just nursery children ?

If a child is driven to a nursery where they are in the same room all day ( ok now with access to a garden ) and then driven home again , I can see where they get their statistics.

We go for a walk most mornings in fact the children walk further than I do. Like puppies they run on ahead and then back to me and then off again ( all in woods or fields etc) I defy anyone stay at home mum or otherwise to give them more fresh air and exercise.