PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clarify

uf353432
29-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I live in a small village community and am lucky in that I am full with lots of children my kids go to school with and live locally to. But I am very close to lots of mums and their kids. So I am full does it mean:

a) I can't have my daughters friends for tea or dinner without parents unless they are within my numbers, even though its a playdate for no reward?

b) I can't help out a mum who is poorly and might need emergency care for her child for a couple of hours (no charge as personal favour)

I find myself in the midst of village life and my natural response when someone needs help to offer my support however I can - but stop myself in the case of helping look after the a child or having kids come over after school for tea because i'm not really sure. Actually I know the answer is I can't because i'd be over my numbers - but hoping someone will say no actually there is this loophole and this is how you deal with it.

I have a friend whose mum is very ill, dad is in intensive care as is mums main carer and she is very poorly herself and running herself into the ground - her poor little boy is caught up in it all and I want to help her and him be offering to pick him up for no charge and letting him hang out at mine for a couple of hours to give her a break. But I feel I can't and it goes against all my instincts to help. Is there a way?

sarah707
29-09-2009, 12:49 PM
You can only have another child in your house if you have space for them in your registered numbers.

Otherwise you are not insured and you run the risk of someone reporting you for over minding... and the likelihood (from what they seem to be doing at the moment) is that they close you down while they investigate.

My children always found it hard that they couldn't have friends for tea if I was full...

Hth :D

youarewhatyoueat
29-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Minded children come first unfortunately, my children do not have friends over when i'm minding, I also live in a small community like you but it also means everyone knows how many children I care for and I would never go over numbers and risk not being insured, can you imagine if something happened how quickly everyone would know in a small village. Living in a village also means there are other people who can help out, let them do their bit.

miffy
29-09-2009, 07:27 PM
It can be tough on your children when you're working and they can't have friends round but there's always the weekends.

Maybe you could also help your friend out a bit at the weekend?

Miffy xx

Lady Haha
29-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Is the little boy over 8? You could do it then! But I'm guessing he isn't:(

It is a pain. My son hasn't been able to have friends round after school for over a year. The mindees become his friends instead.

I can see how you desperately want to help, but it seems you just cant.:(

wendywu
29-09-2009, 08:38 PM
It would have worked if the lad was a mindee already, part time. If his parents were ill, Ofsted would let him come on extra days even if it means you are over numbers. They will give permission to do this in an emergency and at short notice over the phone. :(