PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted say 6 weeks for variation request!

yummymummy
29-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Wasn't going to do it but mum so desperate I said I'd try so rang Ofsted re variation it is for an extra under 5 for would you believe half an hour one day a week due to nursery changing finish times with very little notice. Ofsted say 6 weeks as such a backlog of requests.
Say that the circumstances aren't urgent enough and may cause me to need an inspection. How absolutely ridiculous and unhelpful. The mum will be devastated as I can't do and she has no other way to cover it and has tried other childminders but not prepared to do it:angry:
Oh for the halcyon days when local councils ran childcare and you had an allocated officer that you knew and could ring any time and get an immediate response.

sarah707
29-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes we'd heard it was taking longer and longer to sort variations.

Have you tried your local CIS? They might have an idea of someone new coming along with a vacancy.

Hope it all works out ok :D

Chatterbox Childcare
29-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Don't take a no for an answer.

Email ofsted and put in the subject box - variation for ... and say the date. Then the following day ring and ring and ring. Be persistent and you will get your answer quickly.

avril
29-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I've just applied for a variation for one day part time and the lady on the phone was ever so helpful said if you state the date it is needed by they would try and do it by then.

Mine is not needed until January if I get it but try and push it as others may be for later in the year too!

nell57
29-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I phoned them yesterday and that just what they told me.

The lady on the phone also said it was very unlikely I would get the variance, but said she would still send the form to me anyway (which she said she would send by email immediately, but I'm still waiting for it:rolleyes: )

So I need explain to mum now to see whether she wants me still apply and be prepared that it might not happen anyway.

The problem is that in this area children start nursery full time at the age of 3, but the school cant give wrap around care until they are 4. So care for 3 to 4 years children is mostly unavailable around this here.

helenlc
29-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Did she mark your request Urgent? I have always been advised my Ofsted to mark it Urgent to get a quicker response.

How can they not say its urgent when a child will be without care for half an hour? It shouldnt matter that its only one day a week.

Do they not have a friend or relative who could pick the LO up and take a slow walk to yours til the half hour is up?

Hope you get something sorted.:thumbsup:

And as someone else said, just keep pestering Ofsted for a response.

RachelE
29-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh, I hope they are a bt quicker than that!

I've just posted one off today for half term.
I look after an 18 month old. Her brother is nearly 4 and attends preschool full days. Its closed during holidays and his normal minder isnt available.
As there's no other minders here and Mum's dropping S off anyway, it'd be easier if I have him.

I can live in hope :rolleyes: