PDA

View Full Version : TV or not TV (sorry couldn't resist)

Sally G
29-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi another question - do anyones mindees watch the telly?

I know its not the done thing but is that the official line? or can it be factored into the day somewhere? Im thinkng ahead for example my own two ch watch tv in the morning before school and after school for about 30mins is this ok when mindees are around - obviously carefully selected age appropriate programmes - advise would be fab thanks all x

daisyboo1980
29-09-2009, 06:04 AM
i allow mine to watch it in the evening at the time everyone is being collected as i found it to be to mad and loud with them all playing and i counldnt talk to parents properly plus i do let the wee ones watch fireman sam when im getting lunch ready as they love it

angeldelight
29-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Of course we watch it - we have limits though some of the older ones would watch it all day if I allowed it :laughing: :laughing:

Lots of the programmes are educational anyway and it does not harm the kids if there are limits

My children watch a little in the afternoon but the little ones only like Mr Tumble
The older school kids like to chill out when they get home from school and they just chill out and watch tv

I think anything / everything in moderation is fine

Angel xx

Roseolivia
29-09-2009, 06:15 AM
I have it on on a morning before school as Rose likes to watch it and after school while i sort tea out. Most times they don't even watch it it's just on in the background

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
29-09-2009, 06:29 AM
yep we watch it and sometimes its simply on for a bit of background noise

I find its good for winding down times or if you need to keep them occupied for a few minutes whilst u make lunch

OrlandoBelle
29-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Watching Cbeebies is the only way one of my mindees will go to sleep so we have it on for a bit around nap time, whilst I'm preparing lunch and dinner and in the evening as children are being collected. It helps them to wind down and is quite educational. We especially like Mr Tumble!:)

The Juggler
29-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Littlies, we have 5 minutes of night garden post nap whilst I get everyone ready for school run. Biggies watch it in morning for 1/2 hour pre-school run and older ones sometimes, not always watch after school to unwind. They are always allowed to but sometimes they play in garden, upstairs instead.

I need to watch TV after a hard day, so I figure they do too.

Twinkles
29-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Those that don't have a nap after lunch have a quiet time of watching cbeebies or a dvd.

It is sometimes on after tea for half an hour but not always.

sweets
29-09-2009, 07:19 AM
yes we watch it. my 3 year old watches for about 40 mins when he has a quiet time after lunch while the babies sleep, then it tends to go on again when we have tidied up, had stories and waiting for mummies. theres no harm in it, if we were having a rainy day in it may go on at other times too for short periods. we only tend to watch cbeebies which is virtualy all educational.
I just wish they would make programmes tho as everytime its on i have seen the episodes before! the children don't seem to mind tho and enjoy remembering whats going to happen

ajs
29-09-2009, 07:23 AM
i think the answer is tv: yes then
we watch it too sometimes over breakfast as one of mine is a really bad eater and it does distract her while she finishes her toast.
if we're home alone over lunch we may put it on pretty much for the same reason but also as it calms them down before their sleeps

then after school the 8 yr old sometimes comes into the sitting room on her own to chill before home, while the lo play with me in the playroom

nothing wrong with some tv as angel says nothings bad in moderation

Pipsqueak
29-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Yep - tv is ok - in moderation.

We have it on after lunch occasionally OR during quiet time when the kids are just chilling.

Having it on drives me nuts to tbh but there is nothing wrong with having the tv on

Pudding Girl
29-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Yep we watch a bit of TV, nothing wrong with it as long as it's not on in the background allllllll daayyyyyyyy :)

Great for older toddlers who won't nap, but still need a rest, veg out on the sofa for 30 mins is just what they need, also for afterschoolies to wind down a little. (and for George to get a cuppa!)

peanuts
29-09-2009, 07:52 AM
had the tv on for the first time since the schools went back in august yesterday. bought a game for the wii at the weekend and the kids played on that taking turns as there was 5 after schoolers. They had a ball, parents just laughed at pickup time and were ok that the wii was on.
Usually only have tv on for quiet time/pick up time. Only have 1 2 year old during the day 2 times a week. If tv was on when he was here, he would not move a muscle so when he is here it is not on.

manjay
29-09-2009, 09:03 AM
A little bit of CBeebies never harmed anyone although I do draw the line at in the night garden:rolleyes: We watch specific programmes during the day with the little ones. My TV in the kitchen is also the computer monitor so I like to choose something on Iplayer that is relevant to the children's interests at the time. After schoolies don't usually bother as they are more interested in the computer or the Wii but they will watch occasionally.

Sally G
29-09-2009, 09:35 AM
thanks all :clapping:

It's a small world
29-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I tape some programmes (favourites like mr tumble /mama mirabelle etc) then allow them to watch a little whilst I make lucnh andthen when my son comes home from school he has it on for a little while after hard days work. I don't think it does any harm either. Also cbeebies is educational. My youngest actually copies Justin off something special and so is learnin sign language and kuw.....

Lady Haha
29-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I must admit I used to have it on alot just in the back ground even though we're told not to do that:blush:

But, by doing that it's lost it's appeal and I forget to put it on 90% of the time now and the kids hardly ever ask to watch tv.

I do have one afterschooler who has taken to watching Oliver and Company dvd EVERY single night after school!! I don't mind, as she has been coming for a year now and try as I might I cant get her to join in with the other kids (even her mum said she prefers to be on her own), so at least she is doing something she likes and I can stop worrying all the time about her!

uf353432
29-09-2009, 10:22 AM
we rarely if ever have it on in the daytime, but before school and after tea the TV will go on for calm down time and it also helps me while I run around getting everything sorted out for the kids and parents.

I prefer to think of TV time as ICT :) especially if I teach them how to change channel and turn TV off when finished using lol!

sonia ann
29-09-2009, 10:26 AM
i am going to be honest and say yes the tv is usually on in the background on cbeebies, we dip in and out as the mood takes us, depending on what we are doing.....my lo is asleep upstairs at the moment and it is still on in the playroom playing to no-one whilst I am in here....i like the background noise......I know it shouldn't be on but we don't notice it when it is but do if its not..........i use it more like a radio I suppose:)

mushpea
29-09-2009, 11:26 AM
non of mine sit and watch it, if its on they sit for about 2mins and then go off and play so i turn it off again at which they complain but cant see the point in having it on if they arent going to sit and watch it. i think they have it on at home all the time.
we do have a computer and a wii that they go on each day though. not before school but they are allowed half hour each after school on either the wii or computer.

Straws
29-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Mine is on for some of the day to watch childrens TV, but i find am always watching it alone lol

Straws xx

LisaH
29-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Mine is always on first thing while children are arriving and it goes back on again after school, usually with the Wii:)

pinklady
29-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I think TV has a lot to offer if used in moderation. I have it factored into my daily routine right at the end of the day. In the night garden has saved me from listening to my screaming mindee on several occasions!

The only thing I wont put up with is having the TV on as 'moving wallpaper' with no one actually watching it. It gets switched off straight away if they're not sitting quietly and watching it.

helenlc
29-09-2009, 12:00 PM
My 16 mth old mindee isnt really fussed with the TV so we tend to have a music CD on or the radio for background noise during the morning.

When she goes for her nap after lunch, I let the 2 yr old watch CBeeBies. She has only ever fallen asleep once or twice but she is still having some rest and quiet time whilst sitting there.

It also gives me a chance to do some bits ie tidy up after lunch, get things ready for school run.

When my own children come in from school, it goes on but then I only have the 16 month old after 4pm and like I say she isnt really fussed with it.

amanda1309
29-09-2009, 12:18 PM
its on before and after school here, usually just as more noise for the children to talk over.

The little ones like night garden and we usually watch that after nap before the afternoon school run.

The Juggler
29-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I do the same. if they wander off, it goes off. they come back to ask and I will tell them they can watch or play.

balloon
29-09-2009, 02:01 PM
No, we don't have the TV on at all during the day! (How weird that makes me seem after reading the other replies, lol!).

We are not a TV loving family generally TBH, we talk a lot, play games, draw, read and stuff but rarely watch TV (there are a few things...).

I do have the Something Special DVDs which we occasionally put on, but probably once a week for one DVD, not every day.

I cannot imagine having the TV on as background noise all day long - doesn't that drive you mad?

mabel
29-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I have it on here...love some of it, I think it is important you join in to and ask questions, talk about it, sing with it.
My before school lot sometimes want it on, but if they drift to the playroom the tv goes off !

Blackhorse
29-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Of course we watch it - we have limits though some of the older ones would watch it all day if I allowed it :laughing: :laughing:

Lots of the programmes are educational anyway and it does not harm the kids if there are limits

My children watch a little in the afternoon but the little ones only like Mr Tumble
The older school kids like to chill out when they get home from school and they just chill out and watch tv

I think anything / everything in moderation is fine

Angel xx

pretty much what happens here...and angel has hit it on the head...moderation..and as long as it is age appropriate it it fine..

I do however have permissions from parents for their kids to watch tv...and there is a policy to go with it to tell them about limits and appropriate programs....

Sally G
29-09-2009, 04:53 PM
we rarely if ever have it on in the daytime, but before school and after tea the TV will go on for calm down time and it also helps me while I run around getting everything sorted out for the kids and parents.

I prefer to think of TV time as ICT :) especially if I teach them how to change channel and turn TV off when finished using lol!

yes this is the kind of time scale i was thinking of

The Juggler
29-09-2009, 05:37 PM
No, we don't have the TV on at all during the day! (How weird that makes me seem after reading the other replies, lol!).

We are not a TV loving family generally TBH, we talk a lot, play games, draw, read and stuff but rarely watch TV (there are a few things...).

I do have the Something Special DVDs which we occasionally put on, but probably once a week for one DVD, not every day.

I cannot imagine having the TV on as background noise all day long - doesn't that drive you mad?

I also hate it as background noise and I think if used this way it can distract a child when they are engaged in some interesting play. Moderation all the way for me too.

LOOPYLISA
29-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I also hate it as background noise and I think if used this way it can distract a child when they are engaged in some interesting play. Moderation all the way for me too.

Me too :panic: