PDA

View Full Version : Impetigo

cuffleygirl
28-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Advice please

I have a child who I am positive has impetigo, he is before and after school only. His arm looks truly dreadful and according to him is sore and itchy. School have questioned it also, I asked Mum who is in nursing she says its not and he is allergic to plasters - I've had him for 6 years and he has never had a problem with plasters before.

I've looked it up on line seen pics of the symptoms etc and I'm sure and short of calling her a liar I'm not sure what to do apart from seperate towels etc and games that don't involve contact.

little miss chatterbox
28-09-2009, 04:13 PM
hmmmmm that's a tricky one because if it is impetigo he shouldn't be with you because it's highly contagious.

My daughter had it when she was 2 (no idea how!) and I was told to wash her bedcovers daily, disinfect everything she touched like door handles toys etc and i wasn't allowed to work!

However, if mum is saying it's not that, I'm not really sure what you can do!

I'm sure someone will be here with better advice but if it is impetigo he should be excluded from your setting and school.

youarewhatyoueat
28-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Highly infectious, if you also have children at the school I would question them and ask what there policy is I would also ask the mum to check with the doctor. A child has just had it at our school and he was covered it started with a spot on the face and ended up down his arm, poor lad but mum kept him off for a week. I am happy to take when treatment has started and it is not crusty and bits falling off, yuk
You could ask mum to make sure he wears long sleeves at least it will be covered.

cuffleygirl
28-09-2009, 04:54 PM
This has been bugging me all day I decided to email her a link to the nhs direct page with picture saying that I was positive that it was and to safeguard my setting I felt it was best he didn't attend until it was properly treated and if she sent him back to me I would 'happily' take him to the doctor for diagnosis.

Its done the trick - he complained it was itchy to his dad (seperated) and he insisted that he went to the docs - she has taken him this evening and I have been proved right! Sadly I'm sure she knew exactly what it was before she sent him to me and to school. Washing machine on overload. - why do some parents have such little respect?