PDA

View Full Version : Do you always enjoy your job?

venus89
28-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm going through a bit of a dower about my job at the moment - I think partly as I've just lost one and it's made me retract a little from the others as it broke my heart to see this little one go, especially as there's a strong chance I'll never see her again. This, combined with being treated like a skivvy by one parent, has left me feeling a bit gloomy about the job - I've even been having a glance through the job vacancies online today......

Do you get down periods where you wonder if this is the job for you? Or do you generally always enjoy it? Out of the 4 childminders who come to our group, on of them says she never wants to do anything else, and the rest of us are all quite clear inour heads that it's a job that suits us for now but we don't want to be doing it forever.

ORKSIE
28-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh Venus its awful when you loose a lo, esp one you have become close to.
I lost a little girl last month she emigrated to Australia, I sobbed when she went, she and her family were lovely.

So in answer to your Question I think we all get a bit down now and again, and esp this time of year when the weather starts to get a little chilly(although we have been quite lucky here, its not too bad at the mo)

Chin up, sending you a Mahooosive <<<HUG>>>

Tam's Tribe
28-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Ali

Just remember that you have good and bad days in every job (including childminding) . . . I had a great job before I was made redundant but do remember days I hated it and wished I didnt have to go.

Remember it is normal.

Focus on all the advantages, which sure outweighs the not so nice stuff, like working for yourself, flexibility, being with your own children.

I have been minding since end of July and now that I have done the Summer Holiday and before and after school, I much prefer the holidays . . . finding before and after school a rush between eating, getting to school, tidy, collecting from school, eating and tidy up . . . but for the reasons above, still much prefer childminding.

But this is what we are all here for, to help each other through the not so good times and enjoy and laugh at the good times. Also I think it is great you are bonding with the children, dont stop coz one has left . . . this is part of the job hun . .. just be the best you can.

Sending you hugs :group hug:

Lovies
Tam
x

helenlc
28-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I think we all have down times and times when we doubt what we are doing.

But I think most poeple have that in any job they do.

When I had just my one mindee and he was very disruptive and hard work, I was desperate for other mindees to come along so I could give him notice. I got stuck in a bit of a rut with just him. But now he has moved on and I have 2 little ones and another starting Thursday, I feel a bit more refreshed.

I do keep vowing to get up to date with my paper work though and always find something else to do, so that gets me down when I think how much I need to do. I wanted to be on top of it before new one started - but like I say thats this Thursday so I doubt that will happen!:blush:

Chin up!!

FussyElmo
28-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Think you wouldnt be human if you didnt have the off day/time when the job gets to you. In any profession this will happen. Sending hugs.

wendywu
28-09-2009, 01:08 PM
You do miss them when they leave and often you never see them again.:(

But i think that when they are grown up they will think back and have some lovely childhood memories. They will remember fab outings with loads of friends, discovering the world also lots of laughter and love.

This by itself makes it all worth while.:)

balloon
28-09-2009, 02:31 PM
No, I can honestly say I'm not enjoying my job very much at right now...

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
28-09-2009, 02:33 PM
No, I can honestly say I'm not enjoying my job very much at right now...

This is how I am feeling at the moment.

Daftbat
28-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Thats a shame blue moon.

I have good and bad days but the good days are in the majority. It can very much depend upon the parents rather than the children sometimes.

It doesn't usually take much to cheer me up though - not many jobs where you can get a free cuddle any time you want - it always cheers me up!

Blaze
28-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I think we all have periods where it all becomes too much - I know I did - I think it's too easy in this job not to take any time away - I know that there are periods of months on end - when I literally eat, sleep & breathe childminding & get close to burn out - I've now noticed the pattern I get into - so am more careful to allow me time/ family time etc - & if that means something CM related has to wait then so be it! I NEED weekends / evenings / holiday time not to be CM related & THAT is the bottom line (IMHO - not asking too much LOL)!

(That's not to say that some evenings / weekends / days off are not spent on organising / paperwork / cleaning / training etc - they are - but I am now careful to have more balance)!

I also make sure that I'm not taken advantage off by parents anymore - difficult kids & parents can really take the joy out of this job!!!:rolleyes: :laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
28-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Join me I'm on a downer at the moment, i've really struggled to get motivated after the summer hols, I think I just got out of routine of doing obs and the paperwork, since having all the mindees back and a new one starting I haven't done any obs yet, its just like starting all over again getting to know them again so i'm giving myself this week to buck my ideas up and doing obs next week. I'm also struggling to fit family in at the moment i'm working 3 full days and 2 half days now, my youngest has just started school, my eldest is bleeding me dry for money, and I feel rough I haven't eaten propably for 6 weeks now so am anaemic again.I also do a cleaning job and babysitting,Ok enough of a moan. hope you feel better soon.

angeldelight
28-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I think we all have moments like this

I did myself years back so much so that I gave up childminding for a year

I did other jobs but I hated them and hated having a boss to tell me what to do

We always think the grass is greener on the other side but its not always so

I can not say that coming back to minding was ever easy but it suits me better and most days I love my job 99%

Days like today though when the children are mardy and screaming none stop I wonder if this job is for me :laughing: :laughing:

You have to think positive though and focus on all the good points and really then you will see it is a much better job than most

Hope things pick up for you soon sending you hugs

Angel xx

atmkids
28-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Sending hugs to all those of you who are feeling down. I wasn't really enjoying my job until recently and I think the change of children has alot to do with it. Before the new term I had a lovely little girl who's 2 and two 4 year old boys who only ever wanted to play fight no matter how often I asked them to stop. Now I have the little girl and another 3 yo girl and a 3 yo boy and they play so much better than the others used to. The house is so much calmer and we do lots of nice activities whereas the others wouldn't sit still for very long.

I've also cut down on the amount of paperwork. Before I used to do a daily diary with photos which meant I was always trying to find something to write about, now I do a nice learning journey folder with obs, photos, wow moments etc which puts less pressure on me to be constantly looking for things to write. Now freeplay really is free play and I can relax and watch the children play together knowing that they do enough planned activities and they have a nice folder to prove it. :clapping:

TheBTeam
28-09-2009, 03:35 PM
In a word NO.

venus89
28-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow!
I don't know whether to be cheered that it's not just me who's finding it tough - and that it's something that can be got through -or sad that people are struggling.

I know I should count my lucky stars that I have mindees at all- I feel a bit selfish moaning about things when I am doing all right (for now). I'm just so, so tired and unmotivated and gutted about losing the LO and scared of losing another one..... and I did this jobso I could be with y kids but although we're around in the same house it's not like I get that quality time with them because I'm working most of the time and when I'm not there's housework and paperwork and planning (and the important stuff like coming on the forum :blush: )

madasahatter
28-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Most of the time I really enjoy this job. I have some lovely children. The times that really get me down are the summer holidays with the older children. I currently have a large age gap in the holidays with a couple of preschoolers along with several 11 and 12 year olds. The older children whinge like it's going out of fashion. I ask them over and over again what they want to do and all I get is shrugs followed by 'I'm bored', 'don't want to do that', 'don't want to go there'.
The shorter holidays are not so bad...just the 4 weeks of the summer hols that I am working. It got so bad this time that I told the parents that next year I would only be offering limited (or possibly no summer holiday care for the older children).

Pudding Girl
28-09-2009, 05:57 PM
No, does anyone? lol

Shivvie
28-09-2009, 06:57 PM
No. I have phases too. I'm not too bad at the moment, but there are times I just feel like crying (and do!!).

I think, as we're working from home, in evenings and at weekends there is always some paperwork that you know needs doing, that we find it hard to completely switch off from childminding.

I find that the only time I ever completely switch off from it all is when we go away for the weekend. We had a weekend at a theme park this weekend just gone, and we stayed in a Premier Inn overnight, and it was just so good to get away with my family and spend time together, knowing that I couldn't do any paperwork even if I wanted to! :)

Trouble is, we can't afford to go away every weekend or else I would :laughing:

venus89
28-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I find that the only time I ever completely switch off from it all is when we go away for the weekend. We had a weekend at a theme park this weekend just gone, and we stayed in a Premier Inn overnight, and it was just so good to get away with my family and spend time together, knowing that I couldn't do any paperwork even if I wanted to! :)

Trouble is, we can't afford to go away every weekend or else I would :laughing:

Too true! If I'm here I'll just do this or just do that...... So the odd day out is vital for my sanity. Maybe that's it - I just need a change of scenery.