PDA

View Full Version : potty training with no downstairs toilets

mozarella
28-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Is it acceptable to keep a potty downstairs, i only have upstairs toilets and the logistics of opening the gates to go upstairs everytime we need the potty seems a bit hard work especially if you have to rush to get to potty, bearing in mind I also have my 13 month old baby.

Once potty is well established and my mindee is in cotrol then I am happy to use the bathroom upstairs but too start I think it just wouldnt work

Do you think it would be ok for hygiene point of view?

Moz

Mouse
28-09-2009, 10:14 AM
That's what I do. We have a potty downstairs in the hall and have never had any problems.

I keep toilet roll, wipes & disinfectant wipes on a shelf near the potty. The potty I use has a lid, so that's shut when the potty isn't being used. When one of the children has used the potty, I nip upstairs to empty it & wash it, then wipe it with a antibacterial wipe. The children wash their hands in the kitchen.

It was used during my Ofsted inspection & there was no problem with it.

mama2three
28-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Im sure its fine , I potty trained my ds with the potty in the room even though we have got a downstairs loo. after all you arent leaving them on their own so you would see every time its used and you would clean it each time as well. Its just putting the needs of the child first , and cant see ofsted having a problem with it. Potty risk assessment on the cards maybe? Im a newbie though and so not got my head round ofsted and their strange ways yet , Kath x

helenlc
28-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I potty trained twins when they didnt have a downstairs toilet. We just used the potty downstairs, washed their hands in the kitchen sink and then I nipped upstairs to empty and wash out the potty.

Demonjill
28-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Thats what I plan to do as I have no downstairs loo either.

Worked fine with my 2 kids when they were potty training and Someone asked CC on my training course and it was fine as long as the hygiene side of things is up to scratch!!:thumbsup:

Polly2
28-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I use a potty in the hallway even though I do have a downstairs loo. Just to get them started

Sometimes there's no time to go fighting through the kitchen gate to get there.

Once they can hold on for more than 2 seconds then we head for the toilet!

Zoomie
28-09-2009, 12:19 PM
My new mindee is potty trained.

For her first two week here, I kept the potty downstairs, and then we would all go upstairs to wash hands (I don't agree with using the kitchen sink) etc.

I now know her well enough that she can make her way up to the bathroom and use the potty herself. She even went on to empty it :eek: (quite well I would add) into the toilet and then she went to wash her hands. :D

chewy sweets
28-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't have a toilet downstairs either. Just keep the potty in the hallway and empty it upstairs after! :thumbsup:

sweets
28-09-2009, 12:25 PM
i don't really like potties and prefer children to use the toilet, when i recently trained my 2 year old mindee i had the idea i would just take her upstairs to use the loo. We lasted a morning! lol, then i ended up getting the potty out and putting it in the hallway, She was wanting to go every 20 mins or so, i was up and down like a yo yo:laughing: she was happy to keep going up and down but i wasnt!
Now she is going for longer inbetween wees i tend to take her upstairs but if i'm busy then i just whip the potty out of the understairs cupboard.

Curly Quavers
28-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Is it acceptable to keep a potty downstairs, i only have upstairs toilets and the logistics of opening the gates to go upstairs everytime we need the potty seems a bit hard work especially if you have to rush to get to potty, bearing in mind I also have my 13 month old baby.

Once potty is well established and my mindee is in cotrol then I am happy to use the bathroom upstairs but too start I think it just wouldnt work

Do you think it would be ok for hygiene point of view?

Moz

This is exactly what I have just done!

mindee started potty training 3 weeks ago and today we put the potty away and she is using toilet instead.

Just make sure potty is empties and cleaned after each use (as you would anyway) and I also kept a disposable changing mat under the potty (in case of any spillages) to save my carpet.