PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to do observations on rising 5

Zoomie
27-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi

I have a mindee who has started full time school now. He is with me for abt 30 minutes in the morning and even less in the afternoon.

I am struggling to find things to observe him on. He sometimes has breakfast, and in the afternoon he has a snack, so there is very little non-eating time spent in my care. Our walk to school is very short too. Only 5 minutes.

For the whole of last week I don't think I was able to do a single ob ... I could crib and say he made a healthy choice in chosing some fruit (true) but seems so mundane, and of course I have most certainly made this type of observation about him already.

I will have him in the holidays full time, so plenty will happen then, but is one ob a fortnight okay ????

mushpea
27-09-2009, 07:59 PM
i was told we only had to do one ob er half term, this is what i do with all of mine

Zoomie
27-09-2009, 08:01 PM
We were told to do one per day for each full time child :rolleyes:

Ripeberry
27-09-2009, 08:23 PM
One per day! :eek: :eek: I think one a week would be plenty.

sweets
27-09-2009, 08:25 PM
one a month i was told!!

Just do them as and when they do something that warrants noting.

Zoomie
27-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I am just going to do as and when for this particular mindee.

Quite in the habit of doing daily ones for the other mindees who attend a few more hours per week.

Pipsqueak
27-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I would say 1 per day it too much!:eek:
The little lad is only with you for a limited time and the main bulk of EYFS should be falling to the school - your paperwork in relation to him should reflect the time he is with you.

If you are doing 1 per day, then you must be continually 'looking' for things with the kids - which I reckon must be eroding your enjoyment of being with the kids? All I do is make sure I know where my 'kids are at' and discover th 'wow' moment of them moving on.

Work with the school - see what they are doing and take it from there by backing up what they are doing - specific numbers or letters for instance. Holidays you can develop more obs.

The Juggler
28-09-2009, 06:24 AM
We were told to do one per day for each full time child :rolleyes:

one per day!!!!!! that's ridiculous. fine if you want to but as a requirement!:panic:

singlewiththree
28-09-2009, 07:07 AM
We are having an obs drop in with a qualified teacher and we were told to bring with us 5 observations for 1 child we had done that week :eek: I seemed to be the only one to look shocked. I can go a week or two with no new obs and then have lots at one go.

suez
28-09-2009, 07:29 AM
I was also told minimum 1 a month , dont think i could do 1 a day!