PDA

View Full Version : Crazy - what are your thoughts on this?

~Chelle~
27-09-2009, 07:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8277378.stm

I think this is a bit mad, they are helping each other out and receiving no payment but Ofsted deem them as looking after children for reward - the reward being earning a living!

What are peoples thoughts on this?

aly
27-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I think there is another thread on this. I can see both points but as someone has said....it's what used to happen for years etc.

Goatgirl
27-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Can't find the other thread:
My opinion is that its a disgusting interference into family life and parents rights. As a parent I will make the decisions relevant to my child's care, NOT the state. If they have some evidence my child is being abused in some way obviously they then have a duty to act. Where there is no reason to believe such a thing they can keep their beaks out.
Its appalling...
Just my thoughts :-D

bws,
Wendy

tammerisk
27-09-2009, 08:21 PM
i think what they need to do i think again on what familys can get help from the govenment for child care they need to help out more 'middle class' families

for example i can't go back to working for an employer as i couldn't afford to put my children into chuld care which is one of the resons i am a child minder but even if i wasn't i would be a nursery nurse or something still workingwith children which is why this job is perfect for me but women that done want to work with children or have other childreni n there home are stuck.

i know you can get tax credits if your income is up to 52 thousand but over about 20 thousand this only amounts to about 10 pound a week and no child care help

if they gave alittle more to the say 20 to 40 thousand pound parents them maybe more would consider working as they wouldn't ahve to pay all of there wages out in child care

i mean how many of us if we were to return to work could earn more than a few hundred pound a week and then the child minder or nursery is chargeing 150 to 170 (in my area) for child care so i would be working for 30 pound a week

not really worth it is it

emmadines
28-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I think Ofsted a poking their noses in unnecessarily - as a mum I couldn't afford to work and pay a childminder - but as a childminder I wouldn't really want a child one day a week or part of one day a week as it makes it sooooooo hard to fill the places around that as most ppl want Mon - Friday., if that makes sense.

If parents are in a position to do this that then I think its fine - its those who set up to be unregistered minders that should be sought after (they are the ones that are breaking the law IMO.) I think this issue could only cause a possible resentment to us minders with Ofsted stating that "you have to be registered" or you have to put your child in childcare of your breaking the law. what they going to do anyway?? put those in jail, fine them for helping out a friend - I'm sorry but its ridiculous.

Daftbat
28-09-2009, 06:28 AM
I think its a case of Ofsted doing a "jobs worth" act. I see no problem with a private arrangement between two colleagues/friends - my own mother used to do the same thing with me.

As someone earlier said - its the one's who set up intent upon earning money from looking after other peoples children on a regular basis without being registered that need this type of treatment and not good, hardworking parents who are doing their best in difficult circumstances. Shift work is hard enough.

cherry
28-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Netmums will be on BBC 1 news after 8.00am this morning talking about it.

balloon
28-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I know I'm going to get blasted for this but here we go...

Rightly or wrongly there is a law prohibiting unregistered childcare for gain, this is for gain no matter which way you look at it. These policewomen are people who are supposed to uphold the law in our country and are flagrantly breaking it. What makes it ok for them to look after each others kids but not ok for somebody to look after their friends kid for £100 a week? There is no difference!

Perhaps I should go to the corner shop and steal £10 of sweets, its against the law but I think its ok so I'll do it anyways...

Sorry folks, but laws are there for a reason and whether we agree with them or not we are supposed to uphold them...

murphy61
28-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I know I'm going to get blasted for this but here we go...

Rightly or wrongly there is a law prohibiting unregistered childcare for gain, this is for gain no matter which way you look at it. These policewomen are people who are supposed to uphold the law in our country and are flagrantly breaking it. What makes it ok for them to look after each others kids but not ok for somebody to look after their friends kid for £100 a week? There is no difference!

Perhaps I should go to the corner shop and steal £10 of sweets, its against the law but I think its ok so I'll do it anyways...

Sorry folks, but laws are there for a reason and whether we agree with them or not we are supposed to uphold them...

i totally agree.

wendywu
28-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I think the law needs to be changed.

When my two were little i would have rather have left them with my life long friend than a childminder. :)

clorogue
28-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Did anyone see the policewomen on the tv this morning and esther rantzen, saying that it is not right and the law needs to be changed for this scenario. She quoted that the NSPCC said once you lose the trust of the community in these issues with too many laws then it causes all sorts of problems - or something like that! I agree this law needs to be changed in these circumstances, I really felt for these policewomen, their two children were brought up almost like siblings up to 2 1/2 years of age and had to be separated. As Esther said the law has to act in the interests of the child and it clear wasn't. Apparently I believe this situation is being reviewed.

LisaMcNally09
28-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Did anyone see the policewomen on the tv this morning and esther rantzen, saying that it is not right and the law needs to be changed for this scenario. She quoted that the NSPCC said once you lose the trust of the community in these issues with too many laws then it causes all sorts of problems - or something like that! I agree this law needs to be changed in these circumstances, I really felt for these policewomen, their two children were brought up almost like siblings up to 2 1/2 years of age and had to be separated. As Esther said the law has to act in the interests of the child and it clear wasn't. Apparently I believe this situation is being reviewed.

I can see both sides of the argument. But.....the law will now change!! Definately will happen and when it does I think it will open the flood gates for unregistered childminders!! It will give them a loophole!! They will be able to offer cheap care....wont pay tax....no crb or suitability checks and then when/if they get caught they will be minding for a 'friend'. IYSWIM

Pudding Girl
28-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I agree with you Moony, the law is the law and we can't pick and choose which bits we want to adhere to. As coppers I am surprised they are making it so public tbh, really going to do their reps a lot of good being warned for breaking the law.

The only thing I hope comes of this is that the law is clarified, not changed as such, but made clearer and more obvious so there are no grey areas.

Am disgusted that Ofsted and the NCMA/SCMA etc weren't on there speaking up.

~Chelle~
28-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I think Ofsted a poking their noses in unnecessarily - as a mum I couldn't afford to work and pay a childminder - but as a childminder I wouldn't really want a child one day a week or part of one day a week as it makes it sooooooo hard to fill the places around that as most ppl want Mon - Friday., if that makes sense.

If parents are in a position to do this that then I think its fine - its those who set up to be unregistered minders that should be sought after (they are the ones that are breaking the law IMO.) I think this issue could only cause a possible resentment to us minders with Ofsted stating that "you have to be registered" or you have to put your child in childcare of your breaking the law. what they going to do anyway?? put those in jail, fine them for helping out a friend - I'm sorry but its ridiculous.

I totally agree with you.

The only GAIN that they are receiving is earning a living. They are not paying each other.

If they were to look after the children in their own home then there wouldnt be any interest in this whatsoever.

Ofsted should be looking at unregistered childminders who look after lots of children that they are not insured to look after instead of targeting two women who are helping each other out whilst they are working.

Just because they are police officers means nothing, they genuinely thought that they were doing no wrong.

Before I was a childminder I used to look after my friends daughter 1 day a week for her so she could work and in return she would have my son 1 day whilst I blitzed my house, went shopping etc. Should we both have had to become registered childminders and pay Ofsted fees and insurance fees in order to do this? My opinion is no, it is just 2 friends helping each other out.

If they were related, no one would have batted an eyelid.

Pudding Girl
28-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I do find it sad that if even Registered Childminders cannot see that it is the law of the land regardless of wether they agree with it or not, then there's no hope that Joe Public will understand it.

Madminder
28-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I totally agree with you.

The only GAIN that they are receiving is earning a living. They are not paying each other.

No, the gain they are receiving is free childcare! Also, there is no insurance in place. Who would be the first one to complain if their child fell down stairs (because a risk assessment had not been done), broke their back and ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of their life? No good taking your friend to court as they would not have the money to pay you to help make your child's life easier.

If they want to do it then they can do it in each others houses, just not their own, unless it is for less than two hours.

NCMA have been in touch with the BBC over the weekend and issued the following statement:

Andrew Fletcher, Joint Chief Executive of NCMA said:
"NCMA cannot comment on individual cases however we would recommend that anyone providing childcare, including reciprocal arrangements between friends, should check the Ofsted website for details of whether they
need to register. Registered childcare ensures that children are cared for in inspected and regulated premises. NCMA urges Ofsted to provide further clarification of the exact parameters that constitute childminding 'for reward' in the information on their website."

I will be on BBC Radio Kent in half an hour giving my views to but as far as I know NCMA were not asked to appear either on TV or radio.

Suzy

mabel
28-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I agree, why Esther Rantzen ?

The NCMA or OFSTED should have been on, I have minded 15 years,
when I started I felt like a babysitter, I am now a professional Childminder
with OFsted this raise in status would not have happen and by golly have
we earnt it, we work hard and train hard, not to mention the inspections and work behind the scenes we do. If people want to childmind in whatever arrangement then they should go through the channel that we have to !
pay for their registration,insurances etc

LeeAnn
28-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't necessarily think the law is wrong but I do feel like it isnt widely enough known about. I didn't know about this law until I was registering to become a childminder.

I have always been the one to help out my friends with childcare, long before I became a childminder or even considered registering.

I do think that for a one off that it is fine to take care of your friends children. but for a regular arrangment then the kids are better off with someone regulated, it is just better for everyone involved

wendywu
28-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I think the law needs to be changed to allow friends to look after each other children in a sharing situation where no money changes hands they just swap childcare.

Unregistered minders want paying. So there is a slight difference.

What if a child has an accident while being cared for by Grandparents, they do not have insurance. :)

Spangles
28-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I can't see that they're doing anything wrong in their case. They are friends who trust each other, presumably they are happy with the way each cares for children, they know their children are safe and happy and it works out wonderfully for all concerned.

My friends have looked after my son before if I've had an appointment or want a break and vice versa so going by this we were breaking the law, that's ridiculous.

In this particular case I honestly can't see the problem other than it's breaking a law that needs to be clarified because I can't see why this is wrong and what right the law has to interfere.

If that makes sense?