PDA

View Full Version : has anyone heard this?

angiemog
27-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a friend who has just started her ICP she was told she wouldn't be able to look after an under 1 cos she doesn't have any children of her own?????? She was told Ofsted wouldn't approve. I don't have any children of my own and I have an under 1 and another starting as soon as that little one turns 1. I think it's really unfair for her to be told that. Whether you have children of your own or not surely that doesn't make you a good or bad childminder. Me not having children is not my own choice and I know she is in a similiar situation. It has really made me irritated.:mad:

balijay
27-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Who told her that? Its not long since I did my ICP course and we were never told anything like this. Is your friend sure she has got that right?

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
27-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Never heard of this, and if its true then it disgraceful!

I started minding before i had any children of my own and my first mindee was 3 months old.

keep me updated i would like so see if this turns out to be true x

sweets
27-09-2009, 04:24 PM
its not true! i don't have my own children but i have no restrictions on the ages i can look after.

It will be the lady/man that is running the ICP that is wrong.

patevans
27-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I know someone has is registering and this is what she wrote to her sister - they said i have to have one child for each blood relative i care for to be within the legal boundaries of childmindin.

Is thiss now the case with childminding???

angiemog
27-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Who told her that? Its not long since I did my ICP course and we were never told anything like this. Is your friend sure she has got that right?

She was definitely told that as she was singled out in the class. She called me to ask if it was right. When I had my pre reg visit Mrs Ofsted asked me what experience I had and I told her...... and I have plenty. I think possibly the muppets that run the course were giving their own opinion. If it had been me in the class my blood would have boiled and....................... hmmmm maybe not but I wouldn't have been happy. I do think if it's the case then I would have been told myself when they visited. I just wondered if anyone had ever heard it.

Ripeberry
27-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Ha, ha, ha, this has to be a wind up..Yes? How on earth are nurseries going to manage then? Most nursery workers are straight out of college :rolleyes:

helenlc
27-09-2009, 04:55 PM
That's ridiculous!! I only did my ICP last year and I'd say a couple of them didnt have their own children but they werent told anything about age restrictions because of that.

There are loads of women who are not good mothers - giving birth to a child doesnt make you naturally a good parent or any better with a baby than the next woman.

FussyElmo
27-09-2009, 04:59 PM
When I did mine many moons back (well it feels like it!) back there was a woman on our ICP course who ofsted had refused registeration to as she had no children and couldn't prove any experience with children. Think she fought it and won as I have seen her with children or she is working illegally.

Pipsqueak
27-09-2009, 04:59 PM
in short - tis twaddle.

Allie
27-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I am sure there are no restrictions on having to have had children in order to look after babies. I teach for the NCMA and I have never heard of it.

Anyway it would be discrimination and even Ofsted don't like that

Allie