PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage with 5 week months?

Ripeberry
27-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi, just trying to do a bill for October and just realised that September is a 5 week month. I mistakenly billed the parents for September based on 4 weeks.
There are still 3 days left on September.
What do you do, add it to October's bill? Also the parents were originally billed for set hours and in the last month, they have been adding hours here and there and if I've calculated right they owe me in total an extra 25.5hrs!
I think I'll give them an invoice with all my workings out then they can't complain.
They are not having to pay for half-term anyway so it should all balance out- I hope ;)

Hebs
27-09-2009, 11:01 AM
yes add the extra 3 days to oct then state the extra fee's owed and the cost

:D

Pudding Girl
27-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I do 4weekly months rather than calendar months as when I started i fell foul of this without realising and made a loss as I felt too :blush: to ask for the extra :rolleyes:

Trouble
27-09-2009, 11:57 AM
i go from 1st of month to the last day of month:D

Ripeberry
27-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Rascal, that's what I did, then the problem of the three extra days cropped up!

manjay
27-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I do full weeks (either 4 or 5) as it is easier for my accounts software. I decide by which month the Monday of each week falls into. Parents are made aware at the outset and so it's not a shock when they get a 5 week bill. Any extras are added to the invoice with a clear description of what each amount is for.

I would just add the days you missed on to the next invoice as you said. they should be aware they haven't paid so shouldn't be a problem:thumbsup:

dobby
27-09-2009, 02:37 PM
i am petrified of messing up my invoicng so from the outset have always billed for the exact days every month, with fees being due the first monday of the month. parents get an invoice detailing all days worked set out as below

So if child came to me say Monday to Friday, this months invoice would read

w/b 28th sept 20hrs @£4ph = (as thurs and Fri fall in Oct, Mon-Wds would have been paid in Septs invoice)
w/b 5th october 50hrs @£4ph = etc etc

i know to some that might seem more complicated, but i know I am getting paid for every day worked for each month in advance. Any extras or sudden days off by me would go as a credit/debit charge at end of invoice.

hope this all makes sense!

TheBTeam
27-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I always bill for whichever day the Monday of the week falls in, and charge for whole weeks.

manjay
27-09-2009, 03:07 PM
i am petrified of messing up my invoicng so from the outset have always billed for the exact days every month, with fees being due the first monday of the month. parents get an invoice detailing all days worked set out as below

So if child came to me say Monday to Friday, this months invoice would read

w/b 28th sept 20hrs @£4ph = (as thurs and Fri fall in Oct, Mon-Wds would have been paid in Septs invoice)
w/b 5th october 50hrs @£4ph = etc etc

i know to some that might seem more complicated, but i know I am getting paid for every day worked for each month in advance. Any extras or sudden days off by me would go as a credit/debit charge at end of invoice.

hope this all makes sense!

It doesn't seem complicated and in fact this is how I did it when I first started. However I now use an accounts software package that only allows one entry per week so just changed to full weeks instead:thumbsup: I also know I am getting paid for each day worked in advance. Reading yours does that mean your parents will pay you on the 5th (1st Monday in the month)when you have already worked 2 days in October?

I guess everyone finds a way they are comfotable with and works with it

Zoemum2four
27-09-2009, 03:49 PM
i go from 1st of month to the last day of month:D

I also do from the 1st of mth to the last day of mth :laughing:

Alibali
27-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I do from the week beginning which contains the first of the month so Sept was 5 weeks. October will be billed from w/b 5th Oct.

dobby
27-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Paymnet has to be in my bank/hand by 5th or else late fee charge can be levied. It actually works quite well as i give them plenty of time to arrange, invoices going out middle of previous month thus no excuse. all but one of mine use vouchers or bank transfer so actually pay me early, around 1st of month anyway - means any that might forget are not "too far behind" iykwim ;)

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2009, 10:55 PM
This is exactly the reason I have 12 monthly payments - no mucking around.

bibi571
28-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I do the same as Ali, I give my parents invoices about a week before the end of the month and MOST pay on time. I bill them for the Monday of the W/C, so if the last day of the month falls on a MONDAY then they get billed for that whole week on the invoice. None of my parents question it.

September got billed like this;

w/c 7th Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 14th Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs - School holiday week
w/c 21st Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 28th Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs

October:

w/c 5th Oct, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 12th Oct, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs - School holiday week
w/c 19th Oct, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 26th Oct, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs

November will be

w/c 2nd Nov, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 9th Nov, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs - School holiday week
w/c 16th Nov, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 23rd Nov, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 30th Nov, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs - would charge for the whole of this week even though only the MONDAY falls in November.

Barbara :littleangel:

bibi571
28-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I do same as Ali, i bill starting on the first Monday of the month; for September it was -

w/c 7th Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 14th Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 21st Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs
w/c 28th Sep, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs

that worked out a four week month.

October will be

w/c 5th Oct, 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs

4 week month again

November will be

w/c 2nd , 8am to 5pm - 9 hrs

tashaleee
29-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I dont have that problem - I get paid weekly (would be far too easily confused by monthly as I have a lot of parents on shift patterns) :laughing: