PDA

View Full Version : what do you do for over 5's

zoex
27-09-2009, 10:16 AM
with planning.......

atm i only have a schol age child and im doing a basic weekly plan which is just the aeras of leaning and diff activities unders each aera. is that enough?

also, in a few weeks time i have 2 more children starting, another school age child and a 18month old. now i have a more detailed plan that i used when i have 2 year olds before which has each area of learnig, days of the week and which development matters it links to. would you do both plans when i have all 3 children or just the more detailed plan? then just add an extention to the activities for older children.

i am a bit confused :panic:

Hebs
27-09-2009, 10:40 AM
i plan for my under 5's, for day time activities and allow free play for the after school kids cos by the time we get home and have our tea it's pretty much time to go home :thumbsup:

i do plan activities and outings during the holidays tho :D

FussyElmo
27-09-2009, 10:47 AM
My over fives want to join in so its an extension of what the under 5's do however 95% of the time its free play for them especially after school:)

sarah707
27-09-2009, 11:12 AM
We have theme weeks for the older ones, normally following what the little ones have been doing to hold their interest.

For example, last week they were all into leaves and conkers etc so we collected some, mixed paints etc.

Mostly though my older ones want to chill after school though they do like colouring and drawing so we adapted that interest so they could be part of the new wall display on autumn.

hth :D

mushpea
27-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I do a fortnightly theme for all the children and try and do one activity in the day with the littlys then have something out for the older ones to do if they want to but they dont have to, i mainly do this because the girls love doing the craft stuff and so try and do somthing for them after school, but the schoolies can just chll if they want to i have a wii which one of them loves an dwould be on it all night if i let him , they never ask to have the tv on , they all seem to perfer playing, we generaly have story time at about 5.30pm for a last half hour wind down.
I also have regaular chats with them about what they would like to do and try and accomodate it.

zoex
27-09-2009, 01:11 PM
ok, thats really helpful thank you all.

so those who do themes - when do you do your planning? do you do a couple of weeks in advance based on what the children have shown interest in, or just have a few ideas written on a plan and then fill in the blanks as the week goes on?

and do you do themes for the youngsters too?

thanks again :)

mushpea
27-09-2009, 01:17 PM
my them is for both the little ones and the big ones, its mainly for the EYFS to help me with planning then the big ones just sort of join in with itif they want to.
I do a 6 week plan in which i put three themes, so at the moment we are doing autumn then its dviali then halloween , i write on a plan what the adult led activities will be then i have a space for my child led acitivities which i fill in at the end of the week, so this monday i play to do a nature walk over the woods then after school we have some card and bits and will make mini tree pictures those are my adult led activities then if the children get out a board game or puzzle or if the littles ask to do somthing in the day then that goes in the child led bit.
on a monday i ususaly ask the children if there is anything they would like to do then this goes ont he child led bit of the plan too.
some times though if the children dont want to do whats on the plan or if the weather stops play then the whole thing gets re written anyway

bibi571
27-09-2009, 01:32 PM
My after school are a very crafty lot so we do lots of arts and crafts - worse luck. They love dressing up and the super fort too. They love the park too and like to collect leaves and twigs and bark rubbing for their crafts.

B :littleangel:

mushpea
27-09-2009, 02:36 PM
My after school are a very crafty lot so we do lots of arts and crafts - worse luck. They love dressing up and the super fort too. They love the park too and like to collect leaves and twigs and bark rubbing for their crafts.

B :littleangel:

whats a super fort?

singlewiththree
27-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Its by cranium and is a build your own den kind of thing.I really really want one

http://www.thechildmindingshop.co.uk/cranium-super-fort-612-p.asp

amanda1309
27-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't plan anything in particular or my over 5's.
We get in romschool at 3.50 ish then all the mindess go home any time between 4 and 5 then its tea time for the over 5 who stays till 5.30 ish, thats if shes here as dad works shifts.

Lady Haha
27-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I actually only do monthly themes for my after schoolies! We do one crafty activity each week to do with that theme, read a book to do with it and I drop it into conversations etc, but thats about all they can take after being at school all day!

zoex
27-09-2009, 06:42 PM
omg, my after school girls are full of beans!!! poor me! lol

well i think i have decided to do a theme running either for 2 weeks or a month and a weekly plan which will be for all the kiddies but adapted for each child, with a section for free play and child-led activities so if they dont wanna do anything 'planned' then they can just chill.....what do we think people?? :)

sarah707
27-09-2009, 07:17 PM
omg, my after school girls are full of beans!!! poor me! lol

well i think i have decided to do a theme running either for 2 weeks or a month and a weekly plan which will be for all the kiddies but adapted for each child, with a section for free play and child-led activities so if they dont wanna do anything 'planned' then they can just chill.....what do we think people?? :)

Sounds like a good plan to me! Let us know how it goes...:D

mushpea
27-09-2009, 07:30 PM
sounds good to me, mine are always full of beans too, get a bit of a slump near t time but then after they are nutty again, mine dont go till 6pm so lots of playing time cause schools only a 10 min walk home. and also mine arent ones for watching tv, if i put it on the just ignore it and continue playig so i dont bother with it.

zoex
27-09-2009, 08:10 PM
yea my little school age child dont go til 6.15 so lots of time to play as we get home from school at 3.20. thanks everyone :)