PDA

View Full Version : what would you do??

Hebs
26-09-2009, 09:06 PM
when C was picked on friday i mentioned to mum that we'd be walking home (due to lack of space in the car)

mum said... oh C won't walk that far :panic: .... he is 5 years old

it's about 15/20 mins walk at a relaxed pace

am i wrong to expect mindees to walk home??

no other parent has complained :o

wendywu
26-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Well Hebs leave him in the playground and he will be early for the next day wont he.:panic:

What does parent expect you to do then, give him a piggy back !!!:mad:

Hebs
26-09-2009, 09:12 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

he'd probably love being left at school

he's one of these kids that walk sooooooooooooo slow cos he's not used to walking longer than the door to the car :laughing:

HomefromHome
26-09-2009, 09:14 PM
just explain that he will be fine, that you pass the time by playing sight games on the way back (what colour car, how many red front doors, etc etc) - that may appease her a bit

Hebs
26-09-2009, 09:18 PM
that may appease her a bit

sorry but i'm harsher than that, i told her we HAD to walk as i couldn't use the car due to the number of children in my care :D

pretty simple really :laughing: if she's not happy she can collect herself as she's at home anyway and then i WILL be able to use the car :D

amanda1309
26-09-2009, 09:22 PM
sorry but i'm harsher than that, i told her we HAD to walk as i couldn't use the car due to the number of children in my care :D

pretty simple really :laughing: if she's not happy she can collect herself as she's at home anyway and then i WILL be able to use the car :D

I would do exactly the same. Like it or lump it.

HomefromHome
26-09-2009, 09:25 PM
so why doesnt she collect him then??!! dont get parents who are available who dont have the kids... i know they pay but.....

Hebs
26-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know, but 3 of my parents do this!

Twinkles
26-09-2009, 09:29 PM
She's hate my setting then. We go for walks most mornings lasting up to two hours !! We go at the childrens pace so not far !!

In the school holidays we can be out walking and exploring the woods /countryside all day :eek:

Cazz
26-09-2009, 09:31 PM
so why doesnt she collect him then??!! dont get parents who are available who dont have the kids... i know they pay but.....

Totally agree - why would you want to pay someone else to look after your child if you were at home?

I can't see any reason why a 5 year old can't walk for 15/20 minutes - shame on his parents for never making him walk - he's obviously not getting his weekly recommendation of exercise!

HomefromHome
26-09-2009, 09:31 PM
She's hate my setting then. We go for walks most mornings lasting up to two hours !! We go at the childrens pace so not far !!

In the school holidays we can be out walking and exploring the woods /countryside all day :eek:

so do we!!!!!! all mine know i walk everywhere - i will try to accomodate as best as poss for the longer walks (buggy board!) but generally they're having fun so dont realise how far they walk!!!!!! then they sleeeeeppppp!!! lol

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 09:37 PM
She was jokin' right??? 5???? not 5 months???? Gordon Bennett!:rolleyes: I would expect a 2.5 month old to walk for 20 mins. My mindees walk all the time as I don;t drive.

My 3 year old mindee walks all the way from my house to town and back and then plays at the park and she never complains..... and her mum drives her everywhere.

Tell "Ma" that she needs to let her child walk with you as it would do them the world of good! ha

LOOPYLISA
26-09-2009, 09:39 PM
She was jokin' right??? 5???? not 5 months???? Gordon Bennett!:rolleyes: I would expect a 2.5 month old to walk for 20 mins. My mindees walk all the time as I don;t drive.

My 3 year old mindee walks all the way from my house to town and back and then plays at the park and she never complains..... and her mum drives her everywhere.

Tell "Ma" that she needs to let her child walk with you as it would do them the world of good! ha

GORDON BENNETT MOPPY :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
26-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Can 2.5 mth olds walk ? :laughing:

Pipsqueak
26-09-2009, 09:40 PM
We have been given legs so we can walk - and walk is what we do! Thats what I tell my mindee who moans about the 5 minute walk to school

Mouse
26-09-2009, 09:43 PM

I'm obviously way to soft...... I let my 2.5 month old go in the pram :laughing: ;)

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Can 2.5 mth olds walk ? :laughing:

Oh no!! bl££dy nora!

Twinkles
26-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm obviously way to soft...... I let my 2.5 month old go in the pram :laughing: ;)

Mollymop brings 'em up tough :laughing:

Roseolivia
27-09-2009, 07:43 AM
One word- TOUGH

How does mum expect him to 'learn' to walk if he doesn't get the chance. Sounds like mums just lazy and probably drives everywhere. I think parents are too soft nowadays with their children. I've vowed to get tough on Rose as she's started to have stupid tantrums over nothing, this morning she had a fit because god forbid i wanted to put a t-shirt on her:eek:

TheBTeam
27-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Don't think this post was intended to make me laugh, but it has!:laughing:

We too have a few minutes walk each day to school and this is expected of children when they are 2ish, i also spend a lot of time in woods etc in the holidays and the same 2ish children can go on for at least half a day and when you want them to sit for lunch they still want to run around, so a 5 year old for 20 minutes should be fine, how on earth do they play run around games in the garden!

Hebs
27-09-2009, 08:25 AM
my own children at that age would walk into town and back a good 2 hours round trip (at casual pace)

a 5 min walk from one school to another takes 15 mins with this boy as he walks so slow and drags his feet.

at this rate it will be pick up time by the time we get home from the school run :laughing: :laughing:

Blackhorse
27-09-2009, 08:33 AM
when C was picked on friday i mentioned to mum that we'd be walking home (due to lack of space in the car)

I had an enquire for 2 kids to pick them up from school and get to get them there in the mornings...same scenario..about a 20-25 mins walk..
mum was keen to send them to me until I told her we would walk .....(that was before I had my Zafira)
she said she will find a cm with a car....

I guess it is the parents right to make these decisions, although I would think it would actually be BETTER for the kids to walk than to be in the car....

but everyone thinks differently so you might have to be prepared for the parent to go looking elsewhere...:(

Hebs
27-09-2009, 08:35 AM
but everyone thinks differently so you might have to be prepared for the parent to go looking elsewhere...:(

thats fine by me :D

despite 2 of her friends recommending me if she moves her son then so be it, it's not a huge ammount of money so won't dent my income :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
27-09-2009, 08:39 AM
well at least it wont cause you any business trouble then...

but I really dont get why parents dont want their kids to walk more...

probably the only reason these kids dont walk is because they know if they winge a bit they will get pushed, carried or taken in a car...

me and my dd went for long walks since she can walk...out and about..seeing things...collecting empty snail shells, leaves etc etc ...she loves it!! and she can walk for ages since she was only about 15 months old....

tell her about the 10.000 steps a day campaingns and how healthy it is to walk!!

Trouble
27-09-2009, 08:43 AM
i would say to the parent the car isnt part of the contract :angry: and that feet are iykwim

daisyboo1980
27-09-2009, 08:45 AM
thats why there is overweight children as they are lifted and layed

i make mine walk for the school even though i have room in the car its great exercise and i find they love it after being in a class room. the 4 yr old walked 5 times to the school each day last week, in the morning at his pick up at 12 roll on when they r full days and then to pick up another mindee didnt moan once and he is tiny, the 2 yr old i look after is only alittle bit shorter than him .

uf353432
27-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I think its important to build kids stamina to be able to walk - if you think about it when a child learns to walk they can walk for hours and hours as they practice, its only as they get older they walk less and less unless parents push them to stay mobile. I think a 5 yr old can walk this distance - but some do lack stamina so it might take a while before they are doing it without moaning.

Totally agree - why would you want to pay someone else to look after your child if you were at home?

Ummm? what so if you are a stay at home mum you are not allowed a bit of time off? I don't quite understand why you or the other poster would have a problem with this and I suggest you be a little less judgemental about mums. What are you going to do refuse to take on a child because a mum is at home? Being a mum is ****** hard work, and I think its perfectly acceptable for a mum to want to have time off to persue other activities for herself, doesn't make her a bad person or a bad mum. :(

FussyElmo
27-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a mindee 10 who still complains about walking - I dont drive so you think she would be used to it. Not so much the school run but if I suggest something further afield she says "by bus" her face does drop when she realsies we are walking.

I too have had people go elsewhere because I haven't got a car:rolleyes:

balloon
27-09-2009, 10:38 AM
My mindees are encouraged to walk for short periods as soon as they are steady enough on their feet (so not at 2.5 months like Molly's, lol!). I usually have 3 x 19 month olds on harnesses on a Monday on route to the local park 5 minutes away - it's fun and takes more like 15 minutes to get there but that's mainly cos they all go in different directions and I have to be patient whilst they regroup, lol!

I used to mind a 5 year old who wouldn't walk more than a few feet for his parents. He walked all around the city for me and then again when we got home! Probably cos he knew I had no intention of carrying him, lol!

Once children (in good health) are 3YO here they are expected to walk to wherever we are going (within reason). There's no way I'd expect to push/ drive a 5 year old for a 20 minute walk! We live in a small town so its not asking too much. :)

Hebs
27-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I too have had people go elsewhere because I haven't got a car:rolleyes:

:laughing: i do have a car, it's a 7 seater and most nights i will have 8 kids inc my own

my mum told me to use the car to pick the mindees up and let my own walk...
sorry but if i can't transport my own children (who are my priority) in the luxury of a car and let them walk then the mindees can walk too :D so we can all walk together :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
27-09-2009, 11:16 AM
:laughing: i do have a car, it's a 7 seater and most nights i will have 8 kids inc my own

sorry but if i can't transport my own children (who are my priority) in the luxury of a car and let them walk then the mindees can walk too :D so we can all walk together :thumbsup:

Fancy thinking of your children:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Honestly the nerve of some people and yet Im not suprised!!!!

FussyElmo
27-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Just realsied that might read a bit funny - I meant the nerve of mindees mum not you for thinking of your children:blush:

christine e
27-09-2009, 11:18 AM

My lot enjoy walking home from time to time (a good 35 min walk) we use the opportunity for a good chin wag. I hope C really enjoys it and that you can gloat to is mum!

Cx

Hebs
27-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Fancy thinking of your children:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Honestly the nerve of some people and yet Im not suprised!!!!

no it doesn't read funny,

heaven forbid we consider our own eh :rolleyes: :p :laughing:

mushpea
27-09-2009, 12:26 PM

so glad you said this cause this is more or less what we do in the hols and on other days too, infact if i have a child come tome that dosent walk we just go on short walks at first and build up the distance and some parents are amazed at how far their kids will walk.

Mouse
27-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't drive, so all the children have to walk once they're able. School is only a 15 minute walk away, but we often walk further to toddler groups etc.

I'm lucky, I suppose, in that parents have always been more than happy for their children to walk. Often the parents are so busy & pushed for time that they have to rely on their car and the children don't get used to walking. They love it that the children walk with me.

I must admit that I moan about it when the weather is really bad & I seem to spend all day getting drenched, but most of the time I really enjoy our walks...and so do the children :D

mushpea
27-09-2009, 12:42 PM
should have said in my last post, we all walk to and from school every day 3days a week we go to two schools, the 3.5yrold has always walked on the school runs with no problem and has been with me for just over a year now, nobody really ever moans about it but i think thats because they know they have no choice but to walk.
when they moan their legs ache i always say 'but your legs are so much younger than mine and mine r ok??'

Bananabrain
27-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I have 2 mindees 8 and 10{boys}

The youngest said to me one day 'Why do we have to walk to your house? I'm soooo tired{ It's a 12 minute walk.} I can be this exact because I have done it a thousand times:laughing:

I said 'How much exercise have you had today?'{It was a snow day and I knew that they had had 2 wet plays}

He said 'I walked from my house to the car this morning' The other mindees fell about laughing but it made me feel really sad because he was absolutely serious.

The Juggler
27-09-2009, 03:12 PM
We walk everywhere too. Most of my mindees walk from the age of 3 and even the younger ones like to get out and walk during the day (when not on the school run). If we walk to the library or the park it's as far as the school.

Honestly it's called exercise!!! I have one mindee who has another CM who drives. Every day he says, we need to go in car today! (that's after 2 years). Actually though he is a pretty good walker.

Zoomie
27-09-2009, 04:42 PM
well my observation of this 5y old would be that this child doesn't get enough PD, and in true EYFS style my next step would be to do walk to and from school ....

don't understand some parents ....

my dd is 22 months and will easily walk that distance !

sweets
27-09-2009, 04:44 PM
tell the paretns that you will get one of the young toddlers out of the pram beacause they can easily walk that distance and put the 5 year old in it!:laughing: :laughing: might make them think!

Hebs
28-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Well believe it or not she gave notice tonight!!!

Lol, dad not happy about him walking even though he managed fine tonight

How sad for him

daisyboo1980
28-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Well believe it or not she gave notice tonight!!!

Lol, dad not happy about him walking even though he managed fine tonight

How sad for him

no way he is 5 not 2 :eek:

Hebs
28-09-2009, 08:06 PM
i'm not joking :(

but i'm not stressing, it's not a large amount of money but mum did look gutted, and kept telling me she will try and talk dad round.

told her if she needed care to ring me, no hard feelings, cos i do understand where they are coming from, despite how ridiculus it sounds but i explained to mum that there may have been times when my car is not an option (ie breakdowns etc) and we would have to walk anyway.

ah well it's one less school to collect from :D

mumof1
28-09-2009, 08:10 PM

well said :thumbsup:

mumof1
28-09-2009, 08:16 PM
i have been following this post, cant believe she give notice :eek: im shocked that a parent has a problem with there 5 year old child walking 15 mins a day, some ppl are really living in a different planet these days!

FussyElmo
28-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Glad its not going to affect you too badly. Shocked by it - no had several people say the reason they haven't come to me is because I dont drive:eek: and their children couldn't possibly walk for 15 minutes.

Lady Haha
28-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I would expect a 2.5 month old to walk for 20 mins.

I am in tears here!!!!! I haven't laughed so much in ages!!!!!!! Still got that image in my head of Mollymop forcing this baby to walk with everyone else:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
28-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I am in tears here!!!!! I haven't laughed so much in ages!!!!!!! Still got that image in my head of Mollymop forcing this baby to walk with everyone else:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I blame the bacardi :rolleyes: :laughing: