PDA

View Full Version : My mind boggles

Lainey Lou
26-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I've not been childminding that long and so far so good, really enjoy it, love the kids, parents great hey ho BUT my mind just boggles with all the other stuff that goes with it. I know we all need to cover ourselves and need policies/permissions etc but OMG has the world gone mad? Permission to allow a child to sleep in a pushchair, permission to carry out emergency first aid (so if a child is choking and you haven't got the permission in place you wouldnt carry out first aid .... whats all that about?), risk assessments for this, risk assessments for that, all this red tape just DRIVES ME ROUND THE BEND!!! I just feel that every day I come across something else that needs to be put in place. We will need permission forms next to sit the kids on our knees!!! Sorry to go on but it just takes the joy out of the job. Glad I found this forum and you guys as I wouldn't have half the things in place that I have! XX

FizzysFriends
26-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I think you should read Pauline's permission to breath, have a search for the thread, its very funny and just the thing to cheer up those who think oh no not another permission for silly things.

Hebs
26-09-2009, 08:42 PM
i had a mum round today to sign contracts for her 2 year old daughter

she said she's never had to sign so many forms (contracts, child record, permission forms etc) :laughing:

bibi571
26-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I showed it to my CCO and she thought i was serious for a moment! She can take a bit of a laugh.

B x :littleangel:

Daddy Day Care
26-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I've not been childminding that long and so far so good, really enjoy it, love the kids, parents great hey ho BUT my mind just boggles with all the other stuff that goes with it. I know we all need to cover ourselves and need policies/permissions etc but OMG has the world gone mad? Permission to allow a child to sleep in a pushchair, permission to carry out emergency first aid (so if a child is choking and you haven't got the permission in place you wouldnt carry out first aid .... whats all that about?), risk assessments for this, risk assessments for that, all this red tape just DRIVES ME ROUND THE BEND!!! I just feel that every day I come across something else that needs to be put in place. We will need permission forms next to sit the kids on our knees!!! Sorry to go on but it just takes the joy out of the job. Glad I found this forum and you guys as I wouldn't have half the things in place that I have! XX

What?????? you mean to say you dont have rthis already??????? you best get typing :P

Gareth
xx

Blaze
26-09-2009, 09:47 PM
As things stand you don't need permission for them to sit on your knees - but you should have a physical contact policy!:rolleyes:

Sad I know - & yes the world has gone mad! Did you not read about the 2 pc's that didn't save a drowning child due to red tape!:angry: (the child died)! :(

Lady Haha
26-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Did you not read about the 2 pc's that didn't save a drowning child due to red tape!:angry: (the child died)! :(

Is that true????? OMG!!!!

Demonjill
26-09-2009, 10:12 PM
As things stand you don't need permission for them to sit on your knees - but you should have a physical contact policy!:rolleyes:

Sad I know - & yes the world has gone mad! Did you not read about the 2 pc's that didn't save a drowning child due to red tape!:angry: (the child died)! :(

OMG that is so sad!:idea:

This world is getting scarily worse.:(

sue m
27-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I know I keep saying it but........it wasn't like this in my day. :o

Roseolivia
27-09-2009, 07:38 AM
The paperwork side is ridiculous. It doesn't say anywhere in the EYFS that you need permission of parents for children to sleep in buggies. OFSTED should not be able to pull you up on that, legally the only paperwork you need is what is quoted in the EYFS guidelines. The rest is 'good practice'. I have policies for lots of things not needed but i'm not going to get permission for children to sleep in buggies (i have spoken permission). If OFSTED don't like this i will offer them the chance to speak to the parents to clarify. I think things are just getting sillier, when are we going to have chance to play with the children and spend time with our own families.

TheBTeam
27-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Me too, i will resist to the bitter end a policy for sleeping/touching/shopping you name all the ones that seem to breach our inability to be treated like responsible adults that are sensible enough to be trusted to look after the children.

I speak through with potential clients how i approach a child having a nap, ie as long as they are comfortable, are happy to sleep, sleep for as long as mum thinks is normal, awake happily and refreshed, then this will be whereever is safe, suitable and convenient for the time!

I am of the mind that the more i put down in a policy or procedure the more i am laying myself open to accusations if in any circumstance i can not stick to it, imagine if my policy says the child will sleep in a travel cot and on the way back they fall asleep in the pushchair, i leave them in it rather than transfer them to the cot and mum finds out, it is not worth the hassle, i would rather be trusted to make the decision in light of the circumstances than tie myself to a rediculous immovable procedure.

It comes down again to if I am trusted to look after the child, i am bringing up two children of my own, then surely i can make milk, decide on sleeping, and how much if any shopping is reasonable!

uf353432
27-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Me too, i will resist to the bitter end a policy for sleeping/touching/shopping you name all the ones that seem to breach our inability to be treated like responsible adults that are sensible enough to be trusted to look after the children.

I speak through with potential clients how i approach a child having a nap, ie as long as they are comfortable, are happy to sleep, sleep for as long as mum thinks is normal, awake happily and refreshed, then this will be whereever is safe, suitable and convenient for the time!

I am of the mind that the more i put down in a policy or procedure the more i am laying myself open to accusations if in any circumstance i can not stick to it, imagine if my policy says the child will sleep in a travel cot and on the way back they fall asleep in the pushchair, i leave them in it rather than transfer them to the cot and mum finds out, it is not worth the hassle, i would rather be trusted to make the decision in light of the circumstances than tie myself to a rediculous immovable procedure.

It comes down again to if I am trusted to look after the child, i am bringing up two children of my own, then surely i can make milk, decide on sleeping, and how much if any shopping is reasonable!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Totally agree