PDA

View Full Version : If you weren't a childminder .....

clorogue
26-09-2009, 07:57 PM
what would you do or be?

sarah707
26-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I have been an educational audiologist, a barmaid, a waitress and a typographer...

I suppose I'd go back to one of those, but not very enthusiastically. :(

Plus I wasn't a very good waitress - too much got spilled :rolleyes: :D

Trouble
26-09-2009, 08:05 PM
myself:D :D :D

Mouse
26-09-2009, 08:10 PM
sane :laughing:

Stanfield
26-09-2009, 08:11 PM
A Supermodel ... Really I would love to do this (watch all the cheesy programmes, top model, make me a supermodel etc)

Only problem is ... I'm not really that photogenic, or 6ft tall!!! Might be a slight problem there!!!:laughing:

wendywu
26-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I am a beauty therapist, but i would not want to do this full time.

I would like to be a Historian and immerse myself in the past.

Or work for a travel agent and travel abroad to top hotels to give them their grades.

Or look after the baby Pandas in San Diego Zoo.

Or work in a shop in the Magic Kingdom Disney selling Tinkerbell outfits.

:clapping:

Hebs
26-09-2009, 08:16 PM
sane :laughing:

and rested, relaxed, unstressed :laughing:

Winnie
26-09-2009, 08:17 PM
what would you do or be?

no idea :p it was a spur of the moment decision 19 years ago to become a childminder- all my best decisions have been made like that. I do not plan, i live in hope :) So if i hadnt become a childminder back then who knows what i'd be up to now...

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
26-09-2009, 08:19 PM
A forensic psychologist!

I could still do it maybe one day, would only have to do one more year at uni:clapping:

Trouble
26-09-2009, 08:21 PM
csi person:D :D :D

Lainey Lou
26-09-2009, 08:25 PM
A midwife, still thinking about it :) x

Hebs
26-09-2009, 08:26 PM
A forensic psychologist!

thats what my son wants to be :D

Zoemum2four
26-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Would love to be a police officer......Have throught about it on and off over the last couple of yrs.....Just think my age and lack of any sort of exercise would go against me.....:eek:

Twinkles
26-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I would work in the Christmas shop at Disney World :D :D :thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
26-09-2009, 08:40 PM
It would have to be soemthing I could do from home so id prolly end up being a avon lady :blush:

Gareth
xx

cher25
26-09-2009, 08:41 PM
A teaching assistant.
Still would be if i had of been able to get a full time job before my dp and i bought our house.

bibi571
26-09-2009, 08:41 PM
DH wants me to be a :eek: train driver:eek:

B x :littleangel:

Playmate
26-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Probably would have continued my career in nursing, possibly gone into midwifery.

HomefromHome
26-09-2009, 08:42 PM
i worked with adults with learning and physical disabilities for 14 yrs prior to CM (nearly 3 yrs ) but i would probably go to kids with ld/pd now... am aiming for a route within cm with anyway... done me Q1st, now a network CM (SEN)....

in dream land though i'd be..... anything to do with animals. horses are first love then dogs then anything

in an even bigger dream land.... game keeper in Africa/india/Aussy/NZealand...:D

Noodles
26-09-2009, 08:43 PM
my other job ................. a midwife:) :)

Twinkles
26-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Just thinking what job could I get that recruits disorganised, unreasonable people who live in their own little world ?

Do you think Ofsted have any vacancies ??:D

HomefromHome
26-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Just thinking what job could I get that recruits disorganised, unreasonable people who live in their own little world ?

Do you think Ofsted have any vacancies ??:D

love it!!!!! totally laughed at loud!!!!!! :clapping: :laughing:

Stanfield
26-09-2009, 08:49 PM
A midwife, still thinking about it :) x

I had also thought about this ... maybe one day ...

FizzysFriends
26-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I would be Santa :clapping:

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I would go back to being a Quality Assurance manager at a food production plant or a production shift manager earning £30k plus a year
What I do best!

amanda1309
26-09-2009, 09:29 PM
An Analytical Chemist.

HomefromHome
26-09-2009, 09:32 PM
An Analytical Chemist.

a wha'??!!!

huggableshelly
26-09-2009, 09:35 PM
a rich lotto winner no longer needing to work!

I've been in nurseries and been a private nanny too and have thought about being a child pyschologist but I cant work my own brain out let alone helping a child sort theirs out!

LOOPYLISA
26-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Well im no longer a cm :D

I have worked in nurserys, restaurant, bar at theatre, hotel...........

midwife i think :thumbsup:

anneriddington
26-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I was a graphic designed for a newspaper group working on their periodical magazines.

Now I colour and paint for a living :clapping: :clapping:

nannymcflea
26-09-2009, 09:42 PM
If I'd actually revised for my O'levels,done A levels then Uni I would have been a teacher,reception class.

I'm hoping to do a foundation degree then EYPS.

Lady Haha
26-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I would work in the Christmas shop at Disney World :D :D :thumbsup:

YES!!!! That sounds like a great job!!!!!:D

Demonjill
26-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Nurse ... or midwife!:thumbsup:

Love to work with Rhinos though or on safari in africa.:thumbsup:

Prob back to my comfort zone..........horses lol

Pipsqueak
26-09-2009, 10:46 PM
A lady of leisure who lunches - who's kids go to a childminder or I have a nanny and a cleaner and a cook.

I would like to have been a professional ballet dancer but one broken ankle too many put paid to that! I would love to go into teaching ballet and perhaps one day I will go and finish of my teachers certificate.

In the past I have been a retail assistant in various jobs, a PA in a publishers - loved that job and temp receptionist/secretary in various places

LeeAnn
26-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I would be a SAHM, this is as close as I can get as a I have to work.

My hubby works in forensics :thumbsup: although the pay isnt so good LOL see above :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I am not sure. Done so many jobs but cannot imagine working for someone else now, would crack the whip too hard and be disliked.

Aah a thought - I could be an Ofsted Inspector! :jump for joy:

Daddy Day Care
27-09-2009, 12:16 AM
I am not sure. Done so many jobs but cannot imagine working for someone else now, would crack the whip too hard and be disliked.

Aah a thought - I could be an Ofsted Inspector! :jump for joy:

I would have thoguht you would be an accountant, dont know if you enjoy it but you certianyl seem to know your stuff when it coems to doing the books

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2009, 12:18 AM
I would have thoguht you would be an accountant, dont know if you enjoy it but you certianyl seem to know your stuff when it coems to doing the books

I don't like paying tax so I speak to a lot of the IR representatives when they come out of the wood work to give talks. They are very friendly and helpful really and over the years I have built up the knowledge.

Most of the information is readily available for the accounts but I do depreciation on the car and that is where some people think it is hard - which it isn't.

Blaze
27-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Teacher probably...I wanted to be a barrister - but a teen pregnancy put paid to that!:rolleyes: I was gutted I never completed my A levels due to complications I was in hospital when I should have been sitting my exams - but I got 5 A's in the mocks!:clapping:

In theory I would love to be a midwife - in practise - it would drain me too much emotionally when things went wrong.:(

I was a barmaid & loved it - but not enough money in that to support my family.

I'll probably end up a WW leader once I stop minding - whilst I love this job at some stage I will reclaim my house !:D

singlewiththree
27-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I've realised I don't work well for other people, I think too much for myself, I was going to say iniciative but haven't a clue how to spell it!.

I would have to own a business or have lots of reponsibilities. After I've finished my childhood and youth studies degree I'm going to get a different job as my youngest will have nearly left primary by then :eek:

EllaBella
27-09-2009, 07:26 AM
I used to be a nail technician and beauty therapist, Still do the odd set of nails and toes, buti dont think id want to go back to doing that, I have always always wanted to be a counsellor and this year i finished my level one, so 3 levels to go and i will be able to call myself a counsellor, and i can have letters after my name:laughing: :laughing:

i have never had a job where i work for someone else, i am far too stubbourn, hence my nail business was set up by me and i worked on my own for myself, i cant deal with authority:angry: :laughing:

balloon
27-09-2009, 07:53 AM
If I wasn't a childminder (and all the reasons for me being one were not there) I'd probably be working in a laboratory somewhere or maybe teaching biology to teenagers or adults... (that is quite an appealing choice at times, lol!)

edited to add: have just read previous post. I have letters after my name, you very soon get used to it and find it means nothing, lol! ;)

Roseolivia
27-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I was an NVQ childcare assessor/trainer before minding so probably this as i loved doing it.
If i was to go back to being young and starting out, probably something to do with animals like working in a zoo or in Africa with the big cats.

TheBTeam
27-09-2009, 08:09 AM
It would have to be soemthing I could do from home so id prolly end up being a avon lady :blush:

Gareth
xx

You are the funniest (not sure if this should read strangest) man i have come across, i can not imagine what you must be like to live with!!!:panic: :laughing: :laughing:

I would go back to being an Investment admin Manager, or IT Systems testing, both the well paid jobs i enjoyed! The latter one fitted in really well with working at home, could choose hours and i earnt as much on my own as we earn together when we are full.

daisyboo1980
27-09-2009, 09:07 AM
a personal shopper at Barneys
think of the staff discount aaaaahhhhh i can dream

Ripeberry
27-09-2009, 09:27 AM
In the time from having my first child to now, I've been an insurance clerk, a gardener, a meals on wheels driver, started training as a driving instructor but did not like it (grabbed to wheel too many times :eek: ), lunchbreak supervisor, home carer for the elderly and then I've finally settled on this.
I knew I wanted to do a 'caring' job, but could not decide at the begining between grown ups and children.
Now I know :)

Chimps Childminding
27-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I would be Santa :clapping:

Good idea!!!! Work one day a year, bring joy to millions and everyone loves you!!!! Sounds good to me. Only problem is Red really isn't my colour :D

Pudding Girl
27-09-2009, 12:11 PM
If I hadn't ever become a CM I would still be either working with the elderly or a teaching assistant, which were my last two jobs, loved them both :)

If I was giving up CM now, I wouldn't think I could be anything other than my own boss now, so I would either open a Pram shop or open a cafe, doing all the baking myself :)

I was talking to someone the other week and saying when I get to about 50 (that'll be 17yrs CMing experience behind me) I think I would like to be a CCO :eek:

ORKSIE
27-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I would be skint!
or Skinter:D

Alibali
27-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Back to midwifery maybe or do my post grad primary teacher training or social work?

mandy moo
27-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Teaching assistant too, will do my training one day:D

Couldnt be a teacher tho, brains not sharp enough for that:blush:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
28-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I was a PA for 15 years and really enjoyed that not sure I would go back to that though too bitchy now a days.

When Voiolet goes to school in 3 years time I would like to be a teaching assistant and get my house back which I long for.

xx

jeanybeany
28-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I keep ifing and urming!

I love working with children, it's all i have ever done, but just lately I have been looking at re training in floristry or becoming a nail technician. Then I think maybe I would like to set up a playgroup one day!

We'll see :D

misst104
28-09-2009, 07:52 PM
criminal psychologist!!!!! If only I was younger and richer I would definately be training to do that.

hey ho...... someone pass me the nappy sacks!!!! :(

xxx jo

sweets
28-09-2009, 07:56 PM
i think i would work in floristry or gardening, i love my garden:laughing:

FussyElmo
28-09-2009, 08:01 PM
A librarian:blush:

Helen Dempster
28-09-2009, 09:08 PM
a criminologist :)

David Sheppard
24-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I have moved into Early Years after a rather different background to many I guess so mine is a tale of what I was rather than what I would want to be.

My careers to date have been:

Weapon Engineer Officer in the Royal Navy (28 Years)
IT, Database and Business Management Consultant (7 Years)
IT Project Manager (Spread over 10 years)
Director of IT Company (6 Years)
Part Time author of Youth Fiction Books (4 years. Still doing this one!)
Parent (to 3) and Grandparent (to 6 and 1 on the way!) Loving every minute.

and now a Registered Childminder...The hardest, most gratifying and wonderful job in the world :clapping: - shame about the pay!:mad:

David Sheppard EYP :thumbsup:

mumx3
01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I would be own a riding stables...I dont know how I will ever work for someone else now.

I have been a pet shop manager, a nanny, a riding instructor and a primary school teacher.

Chilldminding fits our needs as a family....free childcare for us and me around for the whole family...my husband works 80 hours a week. But I cant say I am passionate about it.

LisaH
01-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I was a Dental Nurse for 10 years before I started minding. Can't imagine ever going back to it tho, I like being my own boss too much:)

jelly15
01-11-2009, 04:23 PM
I am only a CM until Gary Barlow finally sets his eyes on me and falls head over heels in love and takes me away from all this.:cheerleader: