PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Cancer

Jellybelly
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone knows of any books for children to help them cope with a parent with cancer.
I am devastated to find out that a minding mum of mine has breast cancer, she is 33 years old.
Her two children are 5 and 3 and I want to do all I can to help and thought getting some books to read with them might be a good place to start.
I've looked on ebay, amazon etc but can only find adult books, none aimed at kids.
Any help would be greatefully appreciated.

Thanks

angeldelight
07-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I have some information somewhere I am sure I have

I have not got time to look this weekend though so if no one comes up with anything pm and I will get back to you

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
How nice of you to want to help out like this, some people shy away (understandably)

Can I first and foremost say though - make sure you talk to Mum (parents) first to see how they are explaining things, and how much they are telling the children etc.

Children tend to be quite accepting of things, so long as you talk to them honestly (age appropriately of course). Doing nice little "treats" for mum (and dad/other family members) as pick me ups can really help on those "down" days.

It may help you, if you can take a step back from it sometimes too. I know that perhaps sounds a little callous but you also need to take a breather. Allow yourself time to get over the shock and don't be afraid to let yourself, parents or the children express yourselves, or let the children see your emotion either. Listen to any fears and concerns and don't make false promise.

Wishing you and the family well.

charleyfarley
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Fergie who was married to Prince Andrew has published a series of books for children on various subjects, things children have to cope with.

I'm not sure if there's one for cancer but they are on sale in chemists, think it may be Lloyds.

Wishing you well with this

Carol xx

Cammie Doodle
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Backup gave me lots of help and support when my nephew was diagnosed with Cancer, they may have something child related . I also agree with Vik regarding take lead from Parents:thumbsup:

Pauline
08-12-2007, 02:19 PM
When I was in the children's library the other day there was a book called "The Big C" can't remember who wrote it but I did have a quick look and it was written for children.

Perhaps you could ask at your library?

angeldelight
10-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Did you manage to find some information and some good books from the advice you were given ?

Angel xx

nannysue
11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Hello. Have you tried CLIC Sargent, they have a lot of publications on their
website. They have story books for children of all ages and they talk about cancer in a way for children to understsand. I have a lovely book called Mary has a Brain Tumour. You can sometimes get the from their shop, the books are on the counter.

Sue x

Jellybelly
12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice on this. It is much appreciated.

Jellybelly x