PDA

View Full Version : Not another Netmums post?!

Pudding Girl
26-09-2009, 06:24 PM
No!

A Mumsnet one this time :rolleyes:

Anyone care to comment?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/832374-Even-looking-after-a-friends-child-while-she-works-is?msgid=16951604

Warning though, they are a lot harder than your average netmum :cool:

Trouble
26-09-2009, 06:28 PM
the debate goes on there will never be an answer:panic:

hebs has put a thread on here probably about the same one

Blackhorse
26-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I am reading this with interest...

I think though that unless people know more about childminding then you will get responses like that...

I would never break the law hence I registerd (well that was one of the reasons) but I also see why people want to have their kids go to a friends house where the mum is home...or get a lift to school and back from a neighbour they already know...

I know a lot of parents arent bothered about EYFS etc etc....they just want their kids looked after...and if it is someone they know for ages they will obviously trust them and I would say most of you would trust your own friends to look after your kids and not put them into harms danger...

what I think is more wrong is when people are unregistered childminders for profit as a job where they dont declare tax either...iyswim
rather than 2 friends helping each other out....

I also would not have known previous to becoming a cm that it was illegal in the UK...it's not in Austria as far as I know....

julie w
26-09-2009, 07:07 PM
The way I see it is, friends helping each other out is totally different to someone working as an unregistered childminder. They really are two different things. Friends will always help each other out and should not be penalised for it. Sending a child to a childminder is totally different.
(sorry I've said 'different' so many times, but ykwim. ps. awful lot of naughty words on netmums site, don't you think lol.

cher25
26-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I know a lot of parents arent bothered about EYFS etc etc....they just want their kids looked after...and if it is someone they know for ages they will obviously trust them and I would say most of you would trust your own friends to look after your kids and not put them into harms danger...

what I think is more wrong is when people are unregistered childminders for profit as a job where they dont declare tax either...iyswim
rather than 2 friends helping each other out....

I agree with this, said the same thing to dp earlier on.

Does anyone know how long this law has been out for?

Cos i didn't know it was illegal and used to look after my cousins kids in my home now and then while she went to work ,for £5. The little bit money helped me out to buy gas and electric as i couldnt get a job at the time. Had not long left home and my family were in scotland. If i had known i would of had to pay tax on the odd £5 i would have told my cousin where to go! Not that it would have been easy to do so.

Does it make me a bad person? :rolleyes:
Please don't fall out with me because of that. I honestly didnt know.

wendywu
26-09-2009, 09:03 PM
It said in the Daily Mail that the 2 women had been friends for years and the two children had grown up like sisters. The parents job shared and the children were of the same age.

If this was the case why didnt they just do it in each other homes. That would have solved the problem. :rolleyes:

LeeAnn
26-09-2009, 11:08 PM
As PP already said I htink this debate can only go around and around. I didn't even know this particular law existed until I did my pre reg training. I had previously looked after my friends LO 2x a week to help her out as she has no family here, I did it at my house as my DD was little and needed naps. I didnt get paid at all. When I went to my training and found out it had been illegal I felt sick! Not because I felt I had done wrong but that I had unwittingly "broken the law" Imagine if I had been fined and lost my chance to CM? Crazy!

I think the whole thing has to be clearer and made more well known. I understand it has to be hard to regulate and I know that Ofsted and CC are far too busy to follow random mums around to see what friend is collecting whose from school etc, so they must have to rely a lot on tip offs or something. I feel sorry for the people who don't know about it until they get pulled up on it. But I do understand it is there for the wellbeing of the kids. Surely it has to be put out there so people know about it even if they aren't training to be CMs?