PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU TRY AND FILL ALL OF YOUR VACANCIES?

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 08:40 AM
I always get asked by fellow childminders if I am full, and I always say as full as I want to be because I have never really ever been "full"

But I always get asked if "that's all I look after" when I have my 2 under 5's

I have 6 on my books but they are all part time and before and after schoolers

I always feel kind of inadequate when they ask me, like for some reason no one wants me and that's not true

I just want to be full enough to earn enough - I wouldn't want to have 3 under 5's all day everyday and 4 before and after schoolers plus my own 2 children.

Do you like to be proper full or are you like me?

sarah707
26-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I get to as full as I want to be, then I stop :D

angiemog
26-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I have 5 under 5s (4 of them being 2 and under) all part time. Most days I have 2 children and some times for part of a day I have 3. I am happy with the days and hours I have 'spare.' On paper I'm not full but I'm not looking to fill the part time spaces I have. I'm lucky that I don't desperately need money and my husband works. Those 5 little mindees have nearly doubled my full time job salary that I had previously, so I'm very happy with the little ones I have. Credit goes to all those who are full every day with under 5s and with before and after schoolies. ......I don't think I could do it. :panic: :panic: :panic:

amirose
26-09-2009, 08:52 AM
I technically have a part time vacancy for an under five on a Thursday and Friday, one after school vacancy on a Thursday and two on a friday

BUT I have 2 under fives mon-wed and 1 thurs, fri - five children after school mon-wed and then 4 thursday, 3 friday :panic:

I would now only take on the under five as long as the hours were short :thumbsup:

I always say my favourite day is Friday :clapping: :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
26-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I have just had one go to school so I now have :

1 Monday (+ 1 A/S)
2 Tuesday (but 1 at nursery till lunch time)
2 wednesday (+ 1 A/S)
2 Thursday (+ 1 A/S)
1 Alternate Fridays

Got new one starting next year Mon & Thurs. May look at filling some of the gaps, but certainly not looking at having 3 under 5's every day, and trying to keep Friday as free as possible, as one parent of lo I have on a friday is lecturer so off lots of hols anyway!!

I have been done the route of 3 every day and 3/4 coming in from school, and I must be getting old, I can't cope with it anymore!!!:D

Helen79
26-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm not full but I'm happy with the children I have.

I work Tues-Friday 8-4pm & have 3 children on my books.

Ideally I'd like a few after school children to boost my income but have 3 under 3's during the day so am pretty worn out by the end of the day anyway.

manjay
26-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I am not completely full all day every day but I have enough. I have 3 under 5's 4 days a week but they all attend pre school or nursery for some of the day so are not here full time iyswim. I usually have 8 or 9 after school 4 days so I could probably squidge some more in if I wanted to. But I don't and I think we are all different so I think everyone should just go with what they are happy with:thumbsup:

mummyroysof3
26-09-2009, 09:26 AM
when i start i dont think ill want to fill up completely, have 2 of my own under 4 and one starts full time after xmas, but its quiet for enquiries here so wont be upto me as such anyway :laughing:

charlotte x

Roseolivia
26-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm as full as i want to be. Mon, Tues, Wed i have 3 before schoolers and 2 after schoolers. Thurs i have 2 before schoolers, 1 after schooler and 1 all day, Fri i have 3 before schoolers, 2 after schoolers and 1 all day. This suits me as it means i have time to spend with Rose

singlewiththree
26-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I say the same as I'm happy to have 2 under 3 all the time. In the morning y DD is at nursery so I will have officially 3 under 5 but will only have 2 with me, and one goes home as I pick DD up from nursery so I only ever have 2 and I'm happy with that.

Trouble
26-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Nope i like a quiet house:eek: :D

Jen4Kids
26-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I always say im full if im asked - i have 3 under 5s every day (1 being my own dd who is 3) and two aged between 5-7 (both mine) and my oldest (8) so thats full enough for me - i could take on 1 more 5-7yr old but i cant just manage 6 on the school run as it is :thumbsup:

Hebs
26-09-2009, 10:56 AM
i'm full

i have 3 under 5's every day plus 3 after schoolers along with my own 2 kids :D

emler
26-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I was never full and that was through my own choice. I was happy with a maximum of 4 kids at any one time but some of the other childminders thought I was mad. I enjoyed having part-timers too so I still had plenty of time for dd.

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 11:06 AM
These are my days -

Mon - 2x under 5's all day
and 4x before and after schoolers

Tues - 4x before schoolers and 2x after schoolers
I get the school hours off!!

Wednesday - 4x before schoolers and 3x after schoolers
I get the school hours off!!

Thursday - same as Monday

Friday - same as Monday

I couldn't imagine having anymore kiddies - little ol' me with 8 kids walking to school and back is a nightmare as it is!! ha

Lady Haha
26-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I am pretty full! I only have schoolies, so between 9am and 3pm in term time I don't consider to be working hours for me anyway! I have a few 'odd' vacancies, like I have two vacancies for Tuesdays and Friday in school hols, but not during term time. I have Mon and Fri after school available for one more child and a full time mon- fri school drop available. I don't actually want or need anymore but I know as soon as some one asks if I have space I will immediately be arranging a visit!! I just can't say no!

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I am pretty full! I only have schoolies, so between 9am and 3pm in term time I don't consider to be working hours for me anyway!

See, that to me means you are not "full" - because you only have schoolies ( Oh I wish I could just have schoolies!!)

If you were "full" you would have children with you all day - so you are like me then - as full as you want to be. But not "full" in the eyes of other minders maybe

Other minders get my goat as they sometimes see me with only a few children and think I cna't be doing very well - but I am, i just don't want to be like most of them who have loads of kids at all hours of the day and fill every possible tiny hour vacancy etc that they have, which is great for them but not for me

Winnie
26-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm never completly 'full' & never have been (in 18 yrs :eek:). I say i'm full when i reach the number of hours/days/children i want, besides i like a calm pleasant setting :D My Ofsted inspector wanted to increase my numbers because i was only regestered for 5 (2 over 5) and i tried to tell her that i'm never likely to fill these so didnt want an increase but she was very keen to do it so i let her ;) I'm not working on Fridays at the moment & plan to keep it that way, even more important to me since eyfs as there is so much to do i am working on paperwork most evenings so feel i need a day to call my own (but i still find myself doing childminding bits & bobs)

I doubt it is possible to be full- is it?? I've never met a childminder who is. I've met many who work 7 to 7, five days a week- but they still usually have spaces. People outside tend to add up the children and think childminders must be racking it in but really once you take out the business expenses and work out how many hours worked most are on a very low rate- often below the minimum wage (as a comparison) :( .

dobby
26-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I think it is very important to be only as full as you want to be and not worry about what others are doing. I have also found it is the mix of kids rather than ages that make a differance. Last year I had a 10 month old who took up more of my time than all the other kids together. This is saying something considering i had perviously had 4 under 3s some days (twins so with variation :) ) and whilst busy it was fine as they all got on well, had similiar sleep patterns etc.

I too have 5 children over 4 days, all under 5. I have yet to have after schoolies but would like to as it would be nice for my school age daughter to not always have to play with babies :laughing:

Alibali
26-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm always full and then some(variation), even though I don't want to be, I can't seem to be able to say no!:blush:

mushpea
26-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Im not full but full as i want to be i dont suppose i would turn work away but i am not activily seeking to fill the spaces.
mondays --4 schoolies and 2 under 5
tuesdays--4 schoolies and 3 under 5
wedensdays same as tuesday
thursdays 3 after schoolies (paperwork day!)
fridays 3 after schoolies and 1 under 5

love my week cause it starts of mega busy and then calms down by the end of the week.

helenlc
26-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I dont have any before and after school ones so I am actually "empty" in the over 5s but thats my choice.

At the moment in under 5s, I have 2 on Monday and 2 on Tuesday, 1 on wednesday and 1 on friday and no-one on Thursday (:clapping: )!!

As of next month, I will have (in under 5s) 3 on Monday Tuesday and Friday, 2 on wednesday and 1 on Thursday.

So I am not full but am quite busy. I am not too fussed about filling the part time vacancies I have but if something comes along, I might consider it.

Heaven Scent
26-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I was full for about 8 mths then it all went pear shaped and became almost empty so now I think I'm going to be full with 2 under 5's mon and 3 for the rest of the week then a before and after schooler 5 days TTO. and 2 sisters after school Mon & Wed plus 1 4 short days in the hols.

So now if the parent comes back and signs up for 3 days for LO on Mon Tues and FRi (included in figures above) - I'm as full as I want to be/need to be to recoup the losses from the first 9 mths of the year - its been really lean - I hope not to be in the position I was in before because all but one are part time and only siblings are before and after schoolers X just 2 days so even if I get notice from two sets of parents in the same week like last time it won't be the end of the world. This year as I go to 2 schools I can only take on the number of mindees who fit into my car = 6 so on Monday I could pic up 1 more & on Tues, Thurs & Fri I could pick up 2 more but I don't think I'd want to really I know the kiddies I have now and if the before and after schooler wants to bring a friend back to play now and again I would be OK with that - I wouldn't want any money so long as it was by arrangement with me and not more than once a fortnight for a couple of hours - I know the family - but they are not friends as such - child is fostered and is in year 6 and has been used to being able to bring friends home - I may say it could happen and my DD isn't always here so I don't have anyone else on my books her age IYSWIM so no other parents would know about it - I could restrict it to an odd Friday when DD is at rehearsals for the school musical and and I just have 3 LO's - It would only be for this academic year and I would be within my figures for my insurance etc. I wouldn't like to lose her because she was bored etc its good money.

fionamal
26-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Im not full either but its enough for just now as I like having a few hours in the afternoon to myself to get housework and paperwork done.

Im busy in the mornings with 4 mindees plus my own 2 but thats only until 9am when they go to school and ive then only got 1 little one until 1pm.

I do have 1 fulltime space which will be available at then end of the month
and I have 2 spaces 1pm to 3pm 5 days a week but not filling that.

TheBTeam
26-09-2009, 03:50 PM
From 5/10 Dh and i are as full as we want to be, this means under 5's somedays 6 children and some days 6 for part of the day, and some days 6 children, but only 5 here at once, and on thursdays just 5 children of which only 4 will be here at once.

We also have 2 of the above 6 that are only part time hours during the day, so in effect we earn just over half of a full time space, but because of hours and sheer numbers choose to have it this way, enjoying that they either come later or leave earlier.

We also have 5 before/after school only which 3 are both, 1 only before for 4 days and 1 only after for 3 days.

So we are saying we are full, not FULL, but as full as we are wanting. I think especially when there are two of us to have 6 all full days under 5 plus the 4 over 5's plus our 1 over 8 and our own two 7 and 10 year olds, would be a little busier than we would like!

I am happy if a few of our full time places are used by 20-25 hour a week children!

Straws
26-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I have 3 under 5's all part time, and one after school, in the new year i will be having a full time baby, just want one more after school then i'm as full as i want to be:)

Straws xx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I have 14 children and I am not completely full. I think you can be full without actually reaching your numbers. Go with what you are comfortable with. I like my Friday mornings off.

Jules12Wed
26-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm as full as I want to be. Have three under 5's Mon-Thirs and 2 before and after schoolers Mon - Fri But I class Friday as my free day which has always been the case since I started minding. I don't mind before and after school as I have my own dd to take to school.

I don't think I could do this job if I didn't have one day to myself. I look forward to Friday all week!!!:clapping:

Pudding Girl
26-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I am registered for 4 at any one time. Think the max in Scotland is 6 at any one time. We don't have seperate for over 8s.

I really cannot see that any more than that is good tbh, sorry that will probably offend someone somewhere. I think Scotland has it's head screwed on right with regard to max numbers :thumbsup: (although the extra income would of course be FAB!)

squiggle
26-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I have 14 children and I am not completely full. I think you can be full without actually reaching your numbers. Go with what you are comfortable with. I like my Friday mornings off.

i'm same as debbie - but i have the day time off on mondays and just work before and after school

xx

Ripeberry
26-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I've got two on my books and at the moment have Mondays totally free and Thursday morning until Noon.
I'm seriously thinking of keeping the Monday as my day off as although I don't have any mindees that day, I do help the school with storysacks and every Monday morning I take groups of reception children to another class to choose a storysack and I've got to record who gets what and if they have brought the old one back (no-one else volunteered for this :rolleyes: )
Also, I'm on stand-by for the pre-school if they need someone the help out.
So I suppose it's not really a day off.

cher25
26-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I have 1 full timer, his brother after school 3 days. An 8 year old after school 4 days. Have been happy with that and never had any calls anyway.
Since last week however, i will now have a lo 2 days till half 6. And also a 3 year old and 7 yr old on thursday and friday. Also a 4 yr old on ad hoc not that it gets used much. :thumbsup:

Did have an early finish on a thurs and fri, but back to working full time hours. Im as full as i want to be and can be for the car. lol
All my family and friends think im nuts as it is. They'd probably have me commited if i took on any more. Haha

Playmate
26-09-2009, 08:50 PM
financially we need to be full and at the moment we are, however I love it when 1 or 2 are not there :D

amanda1309
26-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm as full as i want to be.
Off monday
2 under 5 tue - fri
an under 1 wed and thurs but only 4-5 hrs
and a few part time after schoolers

Any more and i would go crazy:laughing:

Demonjill
26-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Im tired just reading all this lol:blush:

ChocolateChip
26-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I thought when I started minding last year I would probably only work 2 or 3 days a week- how wrong was I! :rolleyes:
Now I have 13 on my books, 9 are regulars and 4 only come in the hols or when I have a spare space due to holidays, etc.
4 are under 5 p/timers, plus one who only comes when I have a space.
The other regulars are 4 under 8's, and 1 over, in the hols I get 1 under 8 and 2 over 8's, but obviously not all at the same time.
I also have my own 3 aged 9, 7 and 3.
Two of my schoolies will be turning 8 this month but there is no way I will be trying to fill the space that makes, I am only this busy because my friends keep getting jobs and I find it hard to say no:o and if any of them go then I won't be looking to replace them.
So, depending on some of the parents hours I can be walking to or from school with 9 kids :eek: (which actually still isn't full on paper but I'm blowed if I'm gonna end up with more!)

miffy
27-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I get to as full as I want to be, then I stop :D

Me, too! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

The Juggler
27-09-2009, 03:25 PM
If I had the choice financially, I'd have many fewer children. Unfortunately, needs must. I've never been over numbers or needed a variation but am totally full every day except Friday, even then I have 6 in total after school.

When I started I was happy with one under 5's and a schoolie plus my own two (and found it hard) so wasn't even near my allowed numbers, now I can't believe I can manage to get the numbers I have ready and out the door in the morning and make them all tea after school. I must admit I'm very proud of myself sometimes!

I take my hat off to those who have 8 upwards after school!

LOL

ORKSIE
27-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a space for under 5's on a Mon and Fri...But I am enjoying my long weekends:D

Lady Haha
27-09-2009, 04:19 PM
See, that to me means you are not "full" - because you only have schoolies ( Oh I wish I could just have schoolies!!)

If you were "full" you would have children with you all day - so you are like me then - as full as you want to be. But not "full" in the eyes of other minders maybe

Other minders get my goat as they sometimes see me with only a few children and think I cna't be doing very well - but I am, i just don't want to be like most of them who have loads of kids at all hours of the day and fill every possible tiny hour vacancy etc that they have, which is great for them but not for me

Yes, I'm as full as I want to be! When I say I only have schoolies, thats because I only WANT schoolies! I turn away anything under school age and even have it on my card and CIS website that I am a childminder caring for children 4yrs +!!! Thats what I meant by between 9 and 3 termtime not being working hours for me.

Like you, I don't want to be filling every hour of every day!

Don't worry about what people think, it's none of their business!!

Mollymop
30-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for your answers, it's nice to know I am not the only one who likes to "not be full to the brim!":) :)

Rubybubbles
30-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not full:thumbsup:

I have 11 on my books though lol, 4 of them very ad hoc, once every 1-2 months if that really

2 before and after school every day
1 afterschool everyday

baby, 3 morning 8-1
toddler, 3 morning 9-3

I get Tues 9-3, and Friday 1-3 to me it's nice