PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery

Tatjana
26-09-2009, 08:21 AM
My little mindee, not even 2 has her ears pierced, a chain round her neck and a bracelet. The earrings are forever falling out, so she often just has the one, the bracelet keeps breaking off. I just don't understand why people find the need to adorn their little ones in jewellery?

The bracelet broke off again yesterday when she was messing around on the floor. I gave it to her dad at pick up and he said "They're always breaking off" I mean, what does he expect????

xx

mummyroysof3
26-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I really dont like to see jewelry on small children, i saw a little girl in our village yesterday she cant have been 2 yet with bigger hoops in her ears than mine:rolleyes:

charlotte x

Helen79
26-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I hate to see children wearing jewelery. d

I think someone posted on here about children wearing jewelery & how it affected their insurance.
Can't remember what it said & I can't find the thread, sorry not much help at all am I :rolleyes:

jeanybeany
26-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a lo that wears a teething neclace. I am so paranoid about it and it worries me when she's asleep. Goin to tell parents that another lo keeps trying to pull it in the hope that they won't put it on anymore.

clorogue
26-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes there was another posting about this under earrings I think. I think the conclusion was that some of us decided to do an earring policy, the lady concerned rang her insurance company and I think a disclaimer was signed by the mother - I think this was the situation. I would hate to deal with an earring torn out of an ear! If you look you may find the posting.:)

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't like to see jewellery on little ones either. I would take the necklace and bracelet off when she comes in and keep them safe until pick up time.

I don't like to see earrings in tots either - it should be the child's choice if they want their ears pierced not the parents.

When I was about 19 I knew a girl who lived near me and she was a young mum, had her baby at 16 - she would always dress him with a big chunky gold chain around his little neck from birth! it looked disgusting and down right dangerous and uncomfortable.

huggableshelly
26-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I do not have anything in writing but the older children who wear earings when they come to me have micropore put over them by their parent just like they do at school, they are age 8 and 12 so capable of handling theirown earings but I am paranoid about little ones picking up and swallowing or treating on them if they are pointing up in the carpet.

hmm maybe its time I did include earings into house rules and hygiene ploicy.

Allie
26-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I've not had a child with ear rings yet but necklaces I always remove as they could get strangled! I ask parents not to send them in them but they forget!

I would def make a policy if I had a child with ear rings as my niece badly damaged her own ear aged eight when her school bag got tangled in it:(

Allie

Tink
26-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I hate to see small children with jewelry on. In my opinion they shouldn't have it until they are old enough to look after things. At 2 years old they definitely shouldn't have anything done. Plus the child is at no age to decide what she wants.

LOOPYLISA
26-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't like to see jewellery on little ones either. I would take the necklace and bracelet off when she comes in and keep them safe until pick up time.

I don't like to see earrings in tots either - it should be the child's choice if they want their ears pierced not the parents.

When I was about 19 I knew a girl who lived near me and she was a young mum, had her baby at 16 - she would always dress him with a big chunky gold chain around his little neck from birth! it looked disgusting and down right dangerous and uncomfortable.

I agree moppy :thumbsup:

grindal
26-09-2009, 02:52 PM
My little mindee aged 9 months used to wear a leather bracelet with tiny beads on it - it got untied all the time and I was worried she was gonna choke on the beads. I used to take it off when she arrived and tie it back on just before she left. Would probably have been more sensible to speak to her parents!

dobby
26-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Teething necklaces should be removed when sleeping and only worn under supervision. Every place i know that sells them state that on their website/literature. like here http://incensedshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=oau8ov8gq2cnqvsbnihs8e5l85

Tam's Tribe
26-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Two of my pet hates . . .

1) Jewellery on little ones and

2) A 3+ yrs with a dummy!!!!

I saw a kid this week at my children's school in Reception crying and trying to tell his mother something all with a dummy in his mouth!! *shocking*

I aint against dummys, both mine had one until they turned 1 and then just stopped!

little chickee
26-09-2009, 06:34 PM
i'm sorry but a teething necklace!! what on earth is that? Do you put that on a baby and allow them to chew on it! Is that safe?

sophiestars
26-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Never heard of a teething necklace before either, looked at the link and they just look downright dangerous!! What if it broke and they swallowed trhe little bits? Crazy

I can't stand seeing babies and toddlers with pierced ears either, it should be their choice, especially boys with those ridiculous looking oversized 'diamonds' like the footballers wear. Chavvy

dobby
26-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Actually teething necklaces have been around for donkeys years, just not well know in the uk. The best designs have knotting between beads (so if they break the beads all stay together and dont fall apart) Are strung on very hard to break threads such as silk or leather thong, and are made from either high quality amber or hazlewood. Both these substances have been found to release natural chemicals which have an analgesic effect when worn next to the skin - that is where the teething help comes from, not from chewing.

That said we all know babies put lots of things in their mouths hence why the makers state use under supervision and also they are made so the thread is not very long so child is unable to accidentially cacth them in the mouth. I know friends who have used them and swear by the help the gave.

But i also shudder when i see babies with pierced ears and lots of jewlery due to safety issues too!

Tatjana
26-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Hadn't though about a jewellery policy, perhaps I should!

I also feel responsible if it breaks off somewhere other than my home and I don't see...I really shouldn't feel responsible for it!

xx