PDA

View Full Version : wiping their own bottom

mrs.h
25-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi,

I am a new childminder and wonder when to expect children to wipe their own bottoms. I have got a nearly 4 year old and I am struggeling with this duty (maybe I have chosen the wrong job?) today she made a real mess on the toilet seat as well and I was actually heaving. :panic:

Thanks for any advice,

mrs.h

Twinkles
25-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I think different childminders will give you different answers. I start teaching them when they start to use the toilet. I expect them to have a good try at about three ( but I always check too ! ).
I think those toilet wipes make the job ( pardon the pun ) a lot easier.

helenlc
25-09-2009, 07:44 PM
All children are different. I encourage them to have a go from probably about 3ish but will also check as well. And yes, the wipes do help as the tissue is sometimes too dry and gets stuck a bit (sorry, tmi!:blush: )

Poo doesnt bother me as much as vomit!:o

Princess Sara
25-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I agree with Twinkles, you start teaching them to clean themselves as soon as they start using the loo! Not the potty, I mean the actual loo. By 3 my ds1 was wiping himself perfectly well.

It is difficult when they're shorter as getting off the toilet means wiping their bum across it as they slide off!

I have a 4yo that has just started school that still tells me he can't wipe his bum, but I know he can so it's just a case of reminding him.

Pipsqueak
25-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Ditto what Twinks says

Twinkles
25-09-2009, 07:49 PM
This is a bit of a 'Thing' of mine. I was out with one of my mindees and her mum and she called mum into the loo to wipe her bottom for her. She was six at the time :eek: I was gobsmacked ( she's a very capable child ) and said to her mum 'She's been doing it on her own at my house since she was
2 1/2 !'

manjay
25-09-2009, 08:01 PM
My 3 yr old ds came home from nursery on Monday and told me it was rubbish as they didn't have wipes for bottoms, only loo roll:rolleyes:

huggableshelly
25-09-2009, 08:31 PM
same as twinks too ....

best you can do is make sure you have a glove, wipes and encourage the child to try with loo roll or wipes before you step in to assist.

amanda1309
25-09-2009, 08:59 PM
I mind 28 month old twins boy and girl. They were potty trained over the summer and they will both have a go. They never do it properly but atl east they are trying.
Baby wipes or moist toilet roll is a definite must.

uf353432
25-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Got to be honest it doesn't really bother me - i've changed far worse nappies and would much prefer to wipe a bum off a toilet than a nappy any day. However I do encourage children to wipe themselves when they start using the toilet and by 4 I've not met a child who wasn't capable of wiping themselves. But it depends on when a child comes to you and if other carers or their parents have encouraged them to be independant. At 4 I would certainly be gently encouraging her to try for herself.

Mollymop
25-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a mindee at the moment who always asks me to "clean her bits" when she is finished on the loo. I have told her time and time again that she has to do it herself (she is 3.5)......and she can - i think she is lazy about it to be honest - same with shoes, she can put them on easily herself if she really wants too, but asks me to do it other times which I refuse.
She will just sit there and call me to wipe her until I get quite firm and tell her to try and wipe her own bits.
She is at pre-school and I know for a fact that they have to manage the toilet on their own there.
Her mum wipes her "bits" for her at home and I have written in her diary that she needs independence when going to the toilet and cleaning herself but mum still does it, but while mum is doing it, mindee is expecting me to do it too.

mrs.h
26-09-2009, 03:33 PM
i see it is a tricky one. i will mention to mum on monday if she does it home and that i would like her to try wiping her bottoms herself so that she gets independend.

thanks for your answers,

mrs.h

little chickee
26-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I expect a child to be able to wipe thier bum by the time they are 4 - however i know of quite a few 5yos - 1 is my mindee- who do it perfectly fine at school or at my house but always call for mum at home - imo its just laziness cos thay know their mums will do it whereas i stand firm and will not.