PDA

View Full Version : can i give notice?

sweets
25-09-2009, 05:32 PM
i have a LO all day wed and half a day on fri, mum doesnt work said she was going to look for a job back in march but it hasnt happened yet and i doubt it ever will! She's nice but a bit ditzy and on fri she roll ups with her LO when she feels like it, sometimes 10am which is a pain because then i have her till 2pm and it really restricts us going out.

I have just had a n enquiry to have a LO 4 days a week which means i would be over my numbers on the friday. i cant afford to turn this parent down, and so would like to change the other LO's days or give notice for the friday.

Is that awful? how would i do it?

uf353432
25-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I would speak to the mum and advise the situation - ask if she is flexible and offer her different hours that you are available and ask if any of those hours will suit her just the same. If she is not flexible - then advise that you could only take on this new contract if you gave notice on the hours you look after her child. Say that you would have no alternative but to take that route and hope that different hours would be a happy comprimise for all concerned.

mushpea
25-09-2009, 05:46 PM
i have been in this situation, i took on the newcomer and told the non working parent that i could no longer do the particular day that he came on and she happily changed days to suit me, as for being late i basicly told the child's parent (different child) that if they werent here at the alloted time then they would have to meet me where ever i was, i always made sure i told them that i would be leaving at what time and where it would be if they didnt get here on time then it was up to him to get child here on time.

helenlc
25-09-2009, 06:12 PM
In regards to lateness, my friend had one mindee who was always late. In the end, I told her to tell the mum that if she wasnt with them by 10am (she was contracted to start at 8.30) then she wouldnt accept the child that day. Its hard to have to put in place but my friend had another mindee and she was missing out on things as they were always waiting for this other mindee.

I would explain to Mum the situation and offer her the hours you can do. If she is not happy with this, then explain that you have no choice but to give notice as the other opportunity suits you better. It is your business after all.

I have a mindee who was supposed to come 4 days a week when I was first asked to have her. It went down to 3 when she started and now mum said she might only need me a few hours on the 3rd day "sometimes". I took it on because I thought 4 days is almost full time and yet it seems to be dropping and dropping. It also leaves me with 2 days free to fill rather than a whole week.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-09-2009, 06:17 PM
If the parent was due to arrive at 9 and didn't turn up until 10 I would not be there. Go out and send a text saying where you will be and mum can find you.

I would keep both and go to Ofsted for an overlap based on continuity of care.

sunnysmile
25-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I am the same if not here an hour after due to start then I just get on with my day.

The Juggler
25-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I have always done this unless parent has something specific on like dentist. If parents at home and just fancy lie-in then I tell them we are going out at xx time and if they dont make it by then they'll have to come and meet me.

I know loads of people who wait in for these parents but i wouldn't do it if it were a regular thing.

if contract suits you keep it on but be firm with her so she's not dictating your day.

miffy
26-09-2009, 07:44 AM
I agree with the others - take on the new one and speak to this mum about changing her day. You will have to give her whatever notice period is stated on your contract unless she agrees otherwise.

I never wait in for parents anymore. If they aren't here at the time they should be then they have to find me. I do tell them if I'm going out though.

Good luck with the new one

Miffy xx

Lady Haha
26-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I have one mum who drops her daughter off as late as 10am in the school hols as she doesn't need to start work til later, but as I also have another mindee who gets picked up at 4.30pm on the same day, it could prevent us from going out on a good day trip. I spoke to the 10am mum and she will happily drag herself out of bed and drop her daughter off earlier if we have something planned as long as I text her the day before to remind her! Some parents can be helpful!

As for the other problem. I agree, tell the mum you can offer her another day, it shouldn't inconvenience her too much if she isn't working!

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 11:19 AM
if she doesn't work maybe she wouldn't mind changing her days, if she does mind as Ofsted for a variation. you can always give notice if you wish, it is up to you. x