PDA

View Full Version : game storage??

mushpea
25-09-2009, 05:29 PM
at the moment we have a big storage unit in our living room full of toys and also a book case which holds games, puzzles and books, our children are now older and dont really play with any of these and so we have decided to put the toy unit in our conservatory its one of those lean too ones not the posh double glazed ones so only really for storage, we want to claim our living room back at the weekends so intend on bringing toys in during the week for children to play with then putting them back in the unit in the conservatory during the weekend, the problem is we dont have room for the bookcase in the conservatory but dont want it in the living room so will put it upstairs, so what do i do with the games? i can put the puzzles and books in the tv unit but i dont want to put the games there because young chldren might get them and there are small bits in some of them, do i bring them in when asked or do i have them where they can help themselves or do i put them in the conservatory on top of the unit where only i can reach but they can see to request them and how would ofsted view all of this?

FussyElmo
25-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I dont have my games downstairs so I took a photo of them and they can request them by showing me the photo and tbh the ones who want to play the board games are old enough to ask:)

uf353432
25-09-2009, 05:53 PM
All my games are on a high shelf, so all children can see them but have to ask to get one down. That way I get to ensure only one game out at a time and that all the bits are put back before the next activity. It also means I get to ensure the right level of supervision based on the ages of the children playing.

I think the photos are a great idea if you want it upstairs - but having it on a high shelf for the purpose of safeguarding works just as well.

helenlc
25-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I have literally just bought a clear storage box for my games and box puzzles (the wooden lift out ones are on lower levels so always accessible). I have put this box on a high shelf and the children can request it if they like.

However, at the moment, I only have a just 2 yr old and 16 mth old and most games will be over their heads, especially the 16 mth old. So I plan to get the box of games down with the 2 yr old when the other one is having her nap and do the games as an adult led/one to one activity with her.