PDA

View Full Version : Had enquiry yesterday!

Sarahbelle
25-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, the lady came to see me today. I really need the work so will probably take it if offered but .... I think I am going to get myself into trouble with this one.

She currently has a nanny, and from the conversation with her I don't think she realises that I am not going to be there at a drop of the hat. We discussed contracted hours but then she kept going off on but what if .... and could you. And as for holidays, I distinctly get the impression that she thinks she can dictate when I take my holidays. I explained everything to her, but I don't think she gets it.

Its the first enquiry I had in nearly two months and now i'm feeling a bit flat now she has gone. Not a good sign, I don't think.:(

Minstrel
25-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I had a lady come to me and i had the same feeling as you. It was my very first parent visit so i was soooo excited and decided i would take them on regardless of my bad feeling.

However she never got back to me and shortly after i saw her back on netmums advertising for a nanny.

In hindsight it would have been an absolute disaster so i would think very carefully before commitiing.

Good luck xxx

helenlc
25-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I would take it on personally. Firstly, you have a 4 week settling in period during which you can get out of the contract immediately without notice. If, during that time, mum is dictating times etc then you can say I dont think this is working out.

In regards to holidays, let Mum have copies of your policies that state when you take holidays and how it works between you. That way, there can be no confusion later on.

If nothing else, it will give you some more experience.

Ritaroo
25-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Personally I would go with your instinct if she does come back to you, they are always right but we tend to ignore them. If she doesn't get it now it may be very frustrating for you to take her on. However if you are willing to take it just to have something I agree make sure all the policies are clear and that she signs to say she has read them so you have proof if things get awkward later on.

I am new at this too and wish I had gone with my instincts with one of my mindees as it is looking like it will not work out. Also I misunderstood the settling in part of the contract, didn't read it properly and thought it meant the settling in time before minding starts so I have written the wrong dates. I could now do with getting out of the contract but looks like I am a bit stuck and will have to give 4 weeks notice. You learn so much coming on here.

Demonjill
25-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with Helen. :thumbsup:

You will get a better idea about things if you take them on and you have 4 weeeks to decide if its working.

Good luck

Sarahbelle
25-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Interesting. Two completely different views. I'm not inexperienced (i've been childminding for 8 years!). It just felt off (i'm not sure how to describe it). On the one hand she telling me its 9 till 3 (good hours!) and on the next she is saying if she has a meeting she will have to leave at 7 am :eek: That means that both little ones will be with me before that and then 1 is going to have to be dropped at pre-school for 9 am. I have two school runs to do already and this one isn't even in the same town as me. I have however, made this clear, so if she comes back to me and wants to sign contract.....

BUT, I really don't think she understands this! Anyone else want to give me some advice?