PDA

View Full Version : Formula Milk

singlewiththree
25-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Are we allowed to measure out the formula ourselves? A new nursery is opening up locally and on their website it says they can't due to government guidelines?

sarah707
25-09-2009, 05:14 PM
My understanding of the guidelines unless they have changed...

Parents send measured milk in a container and sterilised bottle with boiled cooled water.

We heat water (not in microwave), add milk and shake, check temp and serve... then if anything is wrong, we cannot be held responsible.

However having said that both my parents send cartons :D

singlewiththree
25-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks Sarah. When I had the 4mth old for 1 day she was supposed to do that but said she couldn't find the container so just left me the whole tub and I got her to sign how much I was supposed to put in. This baby is due to me full time in Nov so I will make sure she measures it out.

ORKSIE
25-09-2009, 06:09 PM
When I had a baby that needed Formula Mum sent cartons too:thumbsup:

TheBTeam
25-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I measure out the powder from a large tin of milk given me by the mother, if I can not be trusted to prepare baby milk then i don't see how i can be considered fit to care for the child in general, if i prepare it myself then i know it is right, i am trusted to store and prepare food for the children and drive them out and about, why should there be so much fuss over milk!!

I had one mum who used to measure the milk out and it was only at the end of one day when i queried that there looked less she said oh yes I decided to give him less today, good job i wasn't stupid and checked myself how many scoops were in there using a scoop i had! Another mother didn't have a clue how much to give her baby, so now i gauge what they need and make up myself when required, using my own preboiled water!

Tired
26-09-2009, 06:27 AM
I agree with theB team.
We look after the baby for long periods of time, being responsible for feeding, transport, safety and general welfare, learning and development.
If we can be trusted with all that, I'm sure we can be trusted to count to 4 (or however many scoops the baby needs)

singlewiththree
26-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know if there is a legal implication/government guidelines that say we definately can't measure it out ourselves. Is that what you were saying that its a definate nono

Helen79
26-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I measure milk out aswell. Mum just gives me a tin of powder to keep at my house & I measure it out when needed.

Mum brings bottles with cool boiled water every morning.

I think it's much safer to do it ourselves. What if mum hasn't put the right amount into the containers, means we can't check that it's right.

does anyone know the risks of giving too much/too little powder?
Unless it's done repeatedly I can't see it being a huge risk.

balloon
26-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I used to get given a tin too!

I had no idea we weren't allowed to measure out milk! How are we supposed to know all this?

yet we are trusted to heat food to a certain temp and know to cool it enough before feeding baby - this world has gone mad!

Daftbat
26-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I always have and always will measure out formula milk. As said earlier i can be trusted to feed them the correct food, at the right temperature, change nappies, keep them safe at all times so sorting out formula milk is basic.

What would happen if the child was late being picked up and needed another feed? Perhaps we should let them go hungry! The world really is mad at times. I used to care for a child whose parents worked for an airline and on two occassions at least the plane needed attention in Aberdeen, I live in Derbyshire! The child stayed with me overnight on both occassions - perhaps i should not have given him his bottle:laughing:

helenlc
26-09-2009, 02:37 PM
My 16 mth old has follow on milk. Mum provides me with a tin of powder and a bottle. I boil my kettle in the morning and the water is suitably cooled by lunch time.

I have a 9 month old starting next month and expect to do the same with him. I explain to my parents that its easier for everything to be left here - that way they dont have to worry about bringing a bag every day and also if they were running late, they dont have to worry that they might have forgotten something in their haste.

If, after 16 yrs working in child care, raising 2 of my own children and having a Btec Nursery Nurse qualification, I cannot be trusted to make up some formula milk, then I am in the wrong job!!:angry:

Winnie
26-09-2009, 04:29 PM
The reason behind the advice is that milk formula powder is not sterile. The guidance says the water should be boiled, the powder added (which will kill any bacteria in the powder) and allowed to cool before giving- it should not be put in the fridge but used straight away. Don’t shoot the messenger:D just letting you know the why's and wherefores.

solly
26-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I have 1 baby who still has milk and mum gave me the bottles and the milk so i could do it, I have a steam steriliser and do that as well. I have brought up my own 3 children so if i can't be trusted to do a simple job like make milk up then i really shouldn't be doing this job. Mum trusts me and that should be what counts

TheBTeam
26-09-2009, 04:37 PM
If they bring you water in a bottle how do you know they boiled it! Much safer to do it yourself i would say!

The advice as I last understood it was that once the powder was added to the water, it should be cooled and used immediately, not refrigerated for later. This is because the powder even when added to boiled water will not be sterile, so needs to be drunk, when it becomes milk not powder that is when the germs breed, so it needs to be drunk quickly so their is not the time for the breeding.

The hospitals even at the end of last year had bottles of boiled water cooling without powder for a couple of hours or more sitting on the side with lids balanced loosely!

sarah707
26-09-2009, 04:38 PM
The reason behind the advice is that milk formula powder is not sterile.

Yes Winnie that's what I was just coming back to say.

As soon as it is opened it is prey to the elements. That's why the cartons are better.

However I have to agree that I would much much prefer to measure it out, then I know I'm right... and it's in date and there aren't any foreign bodies in it etc :rolleyes:

sweets
26-09-2009, 05:06 PM
ok if the powder is supposed to added to boiling water to sterilise it then then what about the advice that bottles should be made with cooled boiled water because of not being able to put boiling water into the bottles because some toxins can leak out of the plastic? (sure i remember reading something about that), maybe we should just chuck the powder in the kettle and boil it with the water:laughing:

Mrs.L.C
26-09-2009, 05:14 PM
ok if the powder is supposed to added to boiling water to sterilise it then then what about the advice that bottles should be made with cooled boiled water because of not being able to put boiling water into the bottles because some toxins can leak out of the plastic? (sure i remember reading something about that), maybe we should just chuck the powder in the kettle and boil it with the water:laughing:

I was just thinking this. I know now most bottles are safer but I thought you were suppose to use cooled boiled water. I think its all gone mad

nikim
26-09-2009, 05:32 PM
oh my how did our children ever survive years ago is beyond me :panic: , i used to make my bottles up once a day for a whole 24 hrs , and i know plenty of new mums who still do this :eek:

sweets
26-09-2009, 05:33 PM
oh my how did our children ever survive years ago is beyond me :panic: , i used to make my bottles up once a day for a whole 24 hrs , and i know plenty of new mums who still do this :eek:

yep me too! lol

MissTinkerbell
26-09-2009, 05:39 PM
yep me too! lol

Me as well - with the twins I used to have 12 bottles sitting in the fridge all made up - didn't have time to measure out 2 bottles with 2 screaming babies especially in the middle of the night!!

littlesprogs
26-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I was one of those mums less than a year ago and my son is perfectly fine and has never been ill.

I will also be one of those mums again with my next baby.

devoncm
26-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Havent read all replies but i went to see a friend other day who bottle feeds, her mw has told her that you shouldnt make feeds up in advance it should be as and when needed then used in 4 hours- for mine though i always made 6 up for the day, obviously its changed in 6 years

TheBTeam
26-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I think the point is that the milk even in boiled water will not be sterile, health and safety say use cooled boiled water because of the danger of using boiling water (spilling etc), the milk will not be sterile even after being in contact with the hot water, the point is that the milk is drunk quickly after making it, so that the germs do not breed in the stored bottle.

I personally do not make it up in advance now, cos often the little lad that has it doesn't turn up, my dh makes enough cups of tea in the day for there to always be a kettle full of semi warm water!:laughing:

bibi571
26-09-2009, 06:07 PM
The guidance is that you should use water that is 70 degrees to make milk up from with measured amount of milk powder from mum and then use straight away. If not possible then you should take boiling water in a flask then pour into a sterilised bottled and let cool to 70 degrees and then pour measured amount of milk power - again 'from mum' into it.

This temp would kill bacteria in powder.

Got a document on file if anyone wants it.

Cartons are definatley easier!

Barbara :littleangel:

TheBTeam
26-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I have just googled this and the pictures to accompany the text are amusing, the woman must have quads, cos she has three made up bottles next to the one she is putting powder in!

bibi571
26-09-2009, 07:01 PM
No as i say, not as i do! :rolleyes:

Barbara :littleangel:

julie w
26-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I was told the only reason we are not supposed to use a microwave to heat bottles is in case we do not shake it enough and there are hot spots. I have a little bit !! of sense, I heat in the microwave and shake it well. It works.:rolleyes: