PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Tippy Toes
25-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi All

I have two small problems and dont know how to tackle them.

Firstly I care for a child term time only and charge £3.50 an hour and I dont charge any fee during the half terms. Starting to think I have made a mistake by not charging in the hols?? Can I up my fees? And if so how do I go about it?

Secondly I took on an after schooler for 1hr 4 times a week and charge £3.50 a day, I have had calls since for after school care which I have had to turn away and am starting to think I should of charged a set fee a day - say minimum of £10. What do you think? Can I increase my fee and how do I go about it?

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks for reading.

x

Tired
25-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I would charge an hourly rate, but with a minimum, such as 10pounds, as you say.

However, I'm not sure the parents would take it well if you increased from 3.50 to 10 in one go.

I think you will have to wait until contract review and then put it up a bit, say to 5pounds, then a small increase each year.

Daftbat
25-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I have a set fee for after school of minimum 2 hours. I think the parent who is termtime only would be a bit miffed if you increased the fees now but you could look at it at your next review. This job has a bit of a steep learning curve and i think all of us would say that we have had our fingers burnt over charges in the past - you learn from your mistakes.:blush:

Tam's Tribe
25-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi

I dont charge an hourly rate as I feel I would lose out as it would be very difficult to find someone for the remaining hours of the day.

I charge per session i.e.

> Full Day (7am to 6pm)
> Session 1 (7am to 1pm)
> Session 2 (1pm to 6pm)

> Before School (7am to 9am)
> After School (3:20 to 6pm)

I have some parents where I look after their child from 11am to 6pm and I charge them a full day rate as I would not be able to find a child to look after from 7am to 11am and I have not had any complaints from parents.

Also if I had two after schoolies, one leaves at 5pm and the other 6pm I still charge the same price.

The only time I charge an hourly rate is if a parent needs childcare outside my normal hours i.e. 7am to 6pm . . . which I do on a Wednesday and Thursday (from 3:20pm to 7:30pm).

Trouble
25-09-2009, 04:53 PM
can you not charge a retainer in the holidays to keep there place:idea:

Tippy Toes
25-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I think I will have to discuss it will parents at the next review of the contracts, and hopefully increase the fee bit by bit.

You definately learn a lot as you go along with this job.

xx

Hebs
25-09-2009, 07:42 PM
i charge £4 per hour,

for before school (8am til 9am) i charge a flat rate of £5
for after school (3.20pm til 6pm) i charge a flat rate of £10

gegele
25-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I didn't charge for the holidays as i'm quite happy not to work them.
if you charge for them then if the parents decide to send their child you have to have them. i have one all year around and the rest at the mo are term time.

We worked the monthly paiement on the year so i don't go up and down each month and i know what's coming in the account every month.

as a parent I would be well ****** if you just decide to change the rules and would change childminder as I wouldn't be secure that it wouldn't happen again.!":(

nannymcflea
25-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I had a term time only child and decided not to charge a retainer. This allowed me to take on holiday kids. I charged the before and after kids £15 for 2 siblings per day...which is quite cheap I know but I was happy to do this....stick with your plans for a while,you can up the charges for the next person if you like then bring the others in-line slowly.