PDA

View Full Version : Do I need Business Class 1 or 2 car insurance?

Ritaroo
25-09-2009, 03:16 PM
New to childminding and just thought I should be covered in case I use the car for ferrying children. The policy is in my husbands name and I am a named driver. I phoned the insurance company who said I needed Business Class 2 however when I asked where the definition was in the policy book he couldn't find it. I looked it up on the internet and it seemed to saying that it covers named drivers who are working in the business of the MAIN DRIVER, this is my husband and it is not his business so I am now worried I am not covered. We know insurance companies will try to get out of paying for any reason.

I phoned back but still they couldn't clarfy it. I asked whether I should have Business class 1 as when I looked a definition of this up on the internet it covers main driver and spouse but was told no it only covers main driver. I am now very confused and frankly don't trust them to have got it right as they seemed to be trying to quote definitions based on what they could remember from their training. Can't believe they didnt seem to definately know so can anyone else who already has this situation tell me if this is correct. Thanks.

Pauline
25-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm a named driver on hubby's insurance, this is how ours reads:

This car is insured while being used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, commuting to or from your permanent place of work and for use by the Regular driver or the regular driver's spouse in connection with their own business.

I suppose that could read either way couldn't it? Does the 'their' mean regular drivers business or spouses business? Or both?

(Luckily for us we are in the same business!)

Hope that helps.

:)

Ritaroo
25-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Do you know if this is classed as Business Class 1 or 2 or am I worrying needlessly? Just don't trust insurance companies.

Pauline
25-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Do you know if this is classed as Business Class 1 or 2 or am I worrying needlessly? Just don't trust insurance companies.

It doesn't say. But I would say that if it does mean that you are not covered then there are going to be 1,000's of childminders out there in the same boat.

Until we started working together I was always a named driver with my own childminding business and if it is the case then I would have been driving for about 23 years uninsured! :eek:

Th best thing you could do is get them to confirm in writing that you would be covered. At least then you would have proof. :)

Ritaroo
25-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Thats true thanks. Will wait for the new certificate and see how it is worded.

Pauline
25-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Thats true thanks. Will wait for the new certificate and see how it is worded.

I don't blame you for not trusting them, insurance companies are renowned for trying to get out of paying! :rolleyes:

nic76
29-09-2009, 08:37 PM
my insurance says i am a childminder as use car for work had to pay a little bit more but i know i am covered

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Class 1 Business use for childminders and it shouldn't cost you anymore than you currently pay

carebear25
10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
NCMA told me the other day I needed Class 3 business use this is just bein brought in so I think everyonce should check....

Chatterbox Childcare
10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
NCMA told me the other day I needed Class 3 business use this is just bein brought in so I think everyonce should check....

They have said this before and was not proven to be correct.

carebear25
14-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks will check wit current insurer x

Shar
21-10-2009, 12:37 PM
A childminder friend of mine just got a new car so she rand Ofsted to find out about what class buisness use she should have. They also said that she now need's class 3 buisness use, which is a new regulation. Her insurance company do not provide class 3 so she changed to NCMA (Motorminder).
I am left confused also. Why have we not been informed by Ofsted or the NCMA about any change in requirements???:confused:

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I have insured with both Churchill and Sheila's Wheels. I just asked for business use for a childminder and hubby needed business use too for driving to another building. It didn't cost us any extra. Might be worth contacting them for a quote.

As long as you are insured to drive, as a childminder I don't think it matters what class of business use it is, as long as it's stated, you will be covered.

LOL

parkbrad
28-05-2010, 09:37 AM
This whole insurance class 1 or 2 thing seems to be very confusing. :eek:
I always was of the opinion that class 1 is okay but now I think I have to check this again. Some years ago I lived in Germany and I had a German car insurance and all I can say is that the insurance system there is not as complicated as ours. Hopefully Class 1 is enough because I really do not want to think about being uninsured.

auntym
30-05-2010, 10:28 PM
i use to work for the AA - if you have given ur occupation as a childminder and have requested business use for your vehicle, you are covered for business use....if your spouse is on the policy and may use the car for business you advise them to, and the wording would be as your insurance states for the policy holder to drive inc bus use and the spouse too.
I have always tld the insurance companies what i do and that i will be using it for business

rickysmiths
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Be very careful as they have been saying this for years, indeed as far as Blue fin and MotoerMinder before them are concerned they have always said we need Class 3 cover but whenyou challenge them on it they can never give a difinative answer as to why. Be very careful as Debbie has also said.

My understanding is that Class 3 is desigined for people who sell from their cars.
I have been with Churchill for years and have Class 1 cover. It covers both me and my husband to drive the car for childminding purposes (he is Reg as my Assistant) with me as themain driver. His car is also insured for business use for childminding covering both of us but he is the main driver.

Twinklestars
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
i asked the same question the other week as motor minder told me that i needed class 3 and no one else did, someone who works for an insurer said class 1 is adequate as long as you tell them you're a childminder

candy cat
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Business Use
If the car is being used in connection with work, either to visit clients or more than one place of work, the client will need a level of business cover.

Class 1
It is only the Regular Driver and Spouse who may have business use class 1. Business cover does NOT extend to cover any other named drivers on the policy, although the named drivers may still use the car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.

Class 2
Class 2 covers named drivers and the RD/Sp business use. The named drivers only have the business use cover when they are driving the car in connection with the business of the main driver, They do NOT have cover if they are driving for the business of a different employer.

Class 3
Class 3 use provides business cover for the transportation of light goods, which have already been purchased, for example, pizzas or flowers. The driver who needs cover while selling services on a "door to door" basis will be covered by this option.

Note: Irrespective of whether or not the client is getting paid for the work that they do, they may require business use if they are either carrying passengers in the car or using the car to travel between places of work during the day.

lulubelle
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
i am having this prob now, my current insurer (asda online exclusive) are saying class 1 covers me (currently pay just over £500) but also called the people ncma use and was told class 1 DOES NOT cover you. there quote over £1200!!! more than double!!!

i then called our area childminding co-ordinator and she said she has only ever had class 1 and doesnt know of any childminders who hasnt been covered in the event of an accident etc!

But who do you believe? it scares the life out of me that if i go with the class 1 and the worst happens i might not be covered. But i dont think there is anyway i can cope not driving! i dont want my own children missing out on going to farms etc because i am minding! Also if there was an emergency etc it would be so much easier just to jump into the car etc!

lulubelle
13-04-2011, 01:57 PM
i am hoping someone replies to this at somepoint but i have just spoken to ofsted and they said they dont know what type of insurance is needed and it is up to ME to decide whether my insurance adequatly covers me as a childminder!!!

Pauline
20-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Hi sorry you've not had an answer to your question, insurance is such a minefield!

My thoughts are, if your insurer is saying you are covered and you have it in writing from them on you policy, then surely they will cover you in the event of an accident?