PDA

View Full Version : Travel Cot V Pushchair for Nap

helenlc
25-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I currently have a 16 month old who goes to sleep for 2 hours every afternoon in a travel cot in my daughters room.

Next month, I have a 9 month old starting who will obviously be requiring sleep during the day too.

I was going to get another travel cot. But my problem is where to put it. With some moving of furniture in my daughters room, it could accomodate both but I dont think this is very fair to my daughter and not sure both babies would go to sleep in the same room. My sons room is too small to fit a travel cot and my room is not registered.

Anyway, speaking to friends this morning who are also childminders, they say that theirs sleep in pushchairs downstairs. These children range in age form 1 yr old to 2 1/2. One said she had tried one in a travel cot but he didnt like it.

Now I am wondering whether to put the 9 month old in the buggy for his sleep and keep him downstairs. But then I also have a 2 yr old who will be downstairs at the same time and playing as she very rarely has a sleep. My downstairs isnt big enough to have the baby sleeping in one room and us playing in another. I could put him in a buggy in my lobby area but that gets really cold in the winter. I do do quiet time with the 2 yr old but inevitably she gets excited and makes noise etc.

But personally my preference is for the children to sleep in travel cots rather than pushchairs if possible. I know this doesnt work for everybody but I would like to accomodate it if possible. And I would like to try the LO in a travel cot first to see if he will go off in there. I will be having him for settling in periods starting next week, so I can see how he goes with the travel cot.

I could write to Mrs O and ask her to register my bedroom but then I would have to take the cot down every night of the week (both LOs will be here mon-fri) to get into my room. I was looking at maybe getting the Graco Petit Bassinet travel cot as this is slightly smaller than a normal travel cot and have them both in my daughters room.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what everyone did for sleep time when they have 2 that need sleep, 1 that doesnt and not much room!!!:D

green puppy
25-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I have 3 under two's four days, they sleep within a few minutes of each other. One sleeps in travel cot in daughters room- I put it up and take it down every day- one in pushchair in my room and one in pushchair in the spare room. I have written permission for naps in pushchairs as this is what happens at home. I would reg your room and just put cot away after work it only takes two minutes. Atleast the baby will have undisturbed sleep and thats better for everyone.

katickles
25-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Before letting them sleep in pushchairs, you will need to get written permisson from the parents.

I am lucky as I have my eldest dd who is 2 1/2 - she goes to sleep in her room, my baby 5 months - sleeps in her cot & then mindee 18mths sleeps in a travel cot in my dining room.

Personally if it were me - I would get your room registered if thats an option, my traval cot takes litterally mins to put up/take down & from personal experience, I find they sleep better in them rather than buggies.

Could you not fit in a travel cot in your hall way or anything? I know that my mindee (who sleeps in the dining room), she got used to hearing noice while asleep to the point it never bothers her anymore.

Hope you get something sorted :)

helenlc
25-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Mum of the 9 month old visited the other day and said he had slept for 3 horus the day before!:eek: So I would rather him in a travel cot so that he can be comfortable if he is going to sleep for that long.

The 16 mth old is a brilliant sleeper in the travel cot and again, I dont want to prevent her from doing that. I leave the travel cot up in my daughters room - my daughter doesnt object as she puts her baby dolls in there at night!:laughing:

It wouldnt be too much for me to take it down each night if it was in our room - its just me being lazy. :blush: But as you say, it only takes a couple of minutes and I can leave it on the landing folded up over night without it causing too much problem.

I will write to Ofsted and get my room registered.

Thanks again

kelzunique
25-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Before letting them sleep in pushchairs, you will need to get written permisson from the parents.

I am lucky as I have my eldest dd who is 2 1/2 - she goes to sleep in her room, my baby 5 months - sleeps in her cot & then mindee 18mths sleeps in a travel cot in my dining room.

Personally if it were me - I would get your room registered if thats an option, my traval cot takes litterally mins to put up/take down & from personal experience, I find they sleep better in them rather than buggies.

Could you not fit in a travel cot in your hall way or anything? I know that my mindee (who sleeps in the dining room), she got used to hearing noice while asleep to the point it never bothers her anymore.

Hope you get something sorted :)

Written permission for the kiddies to have there nap in a pushchair? Ive never done this?!? Didnt know i had to....:huh: :confused: :huh:

helenlc
25-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes, Ofsted would like you to have parents permission to have children sleep in pushchairs.

uf353432
25-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I didn't know that we had to have permission either and as my mindee at the time of my inspection was asleep in a pushchair (a double along with my daughter the same age) Mrs Oftsed didn't ask if I had permission or seem at all bothered by the sleeping arrangements. As it happens he slept in a pushchair as it was his parents preference. But still worlds gone mad if you ask me.

singlewiththree
25-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I have an 18mth who sleeps in the pushchair usually for the duration of the nursery run and I have permission for that.

I'm having a 8mth old starting and am putting up the travel cot in the hope she will use it, her mum says she doesn't nap in the buggy she just won't sleep in it when they are out.

Blackhorse
25-09-2009, 05:46 PM
my arrangements arent really great at the moment but I have 3 unders 5s and usually all sleep..and at the same time

the 3 yr old will sleep anywhere, but she usually walks over to the pushchair that is standing in the hall...as she likes to sit in it..(she needs some more personal time than other kids..) and she goes to sleep there

my dd 19 months will sleep upstairs in her bedroom which isnt registered for minding. neither are my other upstairs rooms for that matter as I was adviced in my pre-reg course and by my CCO not to register them and to just have the kids sleep in pushcharis!! no mention of a permission form!
the 14 month old mindee sleeps in a travel cot, which is quite big but comfy...I move it into the kitchen for his nap so it's not in the playroom...

as they all sleep at the same time - roughly...they all get some quite time for their naps.
but I am not too happy with the arrangement..as it means I cant really do much in the kitchen...like prepare stuff...and in the hall it gets a bit colder than in the other rooms and I am worried about drafts in the winter...especially my letterbox...so I am considering of getting a thick courtain put up across the door....to darken the hall a bit and to make it warmer as it shields from the outdoors...or so I think...

I am now considering to register another bedroom just for sleeping..and to move the travel cot upstairs...but that would mean that I have to get an extention on my mains powered smoke alarm into the room as this is what the CC requires to register and upstairs bedroom for sleeping...or so I have been told at least...

not easy is it??

helenlc
25-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I originally registered my son's room as his friends mum asked me to mind him, so that way they could both play up there. I registered my daughter's room to put a travel cot in.

I didnt register my room as I didnt see the need and also wanted somewhere that wasnt used for childminding. However, I might have to to accomodate the other travel cot.

I was thinking of having a travel cot downstairs to put the 9 mth old in when I go to the toilet or other things so the 2 yr old and 16 mth old dont get to him! I could, in theory ie if I got one of those smaller travel cots, wheel it into the kitchen for his sleep. But firstly, I dont have heavy curtains or a blind at the window in there, so it is always light. And secondly, as you pointed out Blackhorse, I wouldnt be able to prepare anything or do the lunch time washing up etc.

So looks like I am applying to Ofsted to add my room.

I have smoke detectors upstairs and downstairs anyhow, so that wasnt a problem with registering my rooms.

Blackhorse
25-09-2009, 06:09 PM
So looks like I am applying to Ofsted to add my room.

I have smoke detectors upstairs and downstairs anyhow, so that wasnt a problem with registering my rooms.

me too..one upstairs in the hall and one downstairs...
but I was told by my CCO that if I wanted to register a bedroom it also would have to have a smoke alarm..even though there is one in the hall upstairs.!:eek:

nannymcflea
25-09-2009, 06:12 PM
We have been told that unless they have fallen asleep in the pushchair that it is not good practice for children to be put to sleep in them.(not being able to turn over or move position) Saying that I had one that would only sleep in a pushchair when she first came to me. I did make the effort and transfer her to the cot where she began to sleep.I put the cot up in the lounge and also the sofa cushions with bedding on for the second child and they were happy to sleep there. Sometimes though it's totally impractical to be able to put 2 travel cots up. I had a pop up one from Samsonite that took 1 min and was relatively small.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I put two travel cots up and down each day - takes 5 seconds after lots of practice!

My pushchairs go outside sun, rain, hail or snow. Get a good sturdy rain cover that fits the buggy properly.

mushpea
25-09-2009, 06:18 PM
well i dont have written permision for them to sleep in pushchairs and ofsted didnt ask for it when i had my inspection, bit daft really cause what if you dont have permision and they fall asleepin the buggy when ur out, do you have to keep waking them up??

i do have one upstairs room registered and a travel cot but all mine fall asleep in the buggys in the garden and parents are more than happy with this and so were ofsted when i told them. infact they sleep longer when outside, there is no difference in them being wrapped up warm and cosy in a buggy in the garden than when ur out and about with them in a buggy and it means i dont have to wake them to go out or on a school run.
if a parent specificly asked me not to do this then i wouldnt but all parents know this is what happens and if they are fine with it then so am i. i do park them in my lean to conservatory if its really rough but if its cold and they fall asleep when we are out i would rather leave them to sleep out in the buggy than bring them in and either have to take their coat off or let them cook!

helenlc
25-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I put two travel cots up and down each day - takes 5 seconds after lots of practice!

I know with practice I will be able to do it in record time.:laughing:

I am bidding on one of the smaller ones on Ebay at the moment!:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
25-09-2009, 06:27 PM

My pushchairs go outside sun, rain, hail or snow. Get a good sturdy rain cover that fits the buggy properly.

do you mean for storage or for sleepin the pushchairs go outside??

Winnie
25-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Have you considered a 'pop up' cot? They dont take up much room and can be moved or taken down very quickly.

The Juggler
25-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I use my son's, my daughters and our room as well as sofas. have also used buggy in past.

at present I have 2 x travel cots and one on sofa, another day two on sofa and one in cot and one on bed, one on sofa and one in cot another day.

I prefer not to use buggies but just a personal preference, lack of space mainly.

Mollymop
25-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, Ofsted would like you to have parents permission to have children sleep in pushchairs.

I have never hear dof this before!! haa!!!:laughing: All my under 3's I have looked after have droppped off to sleep in my buggy while we are out and about! How silly is that to ask permission for a child to sleep in a buggy!!! What if they said no??!!!:laughing:

Trouble
25-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I have never hear dof this before!! haa!!!:laughing: All my under 3's I have looked after have droppped off to sleep in my buggy while we are out and about! How silly is that to ask permission for a child to sleep in a buggy!!! What if they said no??!!!:laughing:

i have permission for one

bibi571
25-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I was told i couldn't get my upstairs registered unless i didn't us my cupboard under the stairs - and its the only cupboard in the whole house. I would need to be emptied and locked. Then a smoke and heat detector fitted in the bed room along with a monitor to listen to the child. Too much hassle just for nap time. I use permission slips asking where parents want children to nap and CCO was keen on the parental choice. I think i'll stick to down stairs where i can see and hear the children at least i know they're safe and sound.

B :littleangel:

helenlc
26-09-2009, 07:16 AM

No, obviously you dont need permission for them to fall asleep in the buggy while you are out and about. If they fall asleep while you're out, obviously you leave them in there.

I mean when you choose to put them in the buggy for their nap indoors instead of putting them in a travel cot or bed. Then its good practice to have permission to do so.

Some children have their sleep at home in a buggy, so you are just following their practice at your house. My preference is for children to be in a travel cot for their sleep. But if a child came that wouldnt settle in one and parents were fine for them to go in the pushchair, I would do this and get written permission off the parents.

Helen79
26-09-2009, 09:25 AM
My bedroom is registered for babys to sleep in.
At nap times I have ds asleep in his cot in his bedroom then the baby either goes to sleep in the pushchair, bouncy chair or travel cot that's in our bedroom.

I live in a first floor flat so it's hard when they go to sleep as I have to be really quiet as the rooms are so close to each other.

balloon
26-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I know with practice I will be able to do it in record time.:laughing:

I am bidding on one of the smaller ones on Ebay at the moment!:thumbsup:

I really would not buy one of the graco petite bassinette ones Helen!

I have one and they are tiny! Far too small for a 9 month old baby!!!

I think they say up to 6 months on the blurb that comes with it....

I bought mine for the same reason. My DW said I couldn't out them to sleep in a pushchair unless it as one of those huge silver cross types. I went out and bough a SC sleepover but they wouldn't sleep in it, and the graco is too small so they sleep in a lay flat pushchair...

helenlc
26-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I really would not buy one of the graco petite bassinette ones Helen!

I have one and they are tiny! Far too small for a 9 month old baby!!!

I think they say up to 6 months on the blurb that comes with it....

I bought mine for the same reason. My DW said I couldn't out them to sleep in a pushchair unless it as one of those huge silver cross types. I went out and bough a SC sleepover but they wouldn't sleep in it, and the graco is too small so they sleep in a lay flat pushchair...

So is the main part of the travel cot small? I knew the bassinet bit would be small and obviously wont be using the bassinet with the 9 mth old. I was getting it more for the smallness (is that a word?) of the main travel cot bit.

balloon
27-09-2009, 09:55 AM
the main part of the travel cot is very small! I bought it roughly when a LO was about 9 months and they were jammed head to toe into it, lol! (needless to say it didn't get used, lol!)

it's 75cm x 51cm which is great for space-saving but not so good for tall babies, lol!

I think my standard one is 70cm wide and 120cm long

helenlc
27-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Oh dear. I am bidding on one on Ebay. I dont normally want to get outbid but maybe I do with this one!! Lol

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2009, 01:59 PM
do you mean for storage or for sleepin the pushchairs go outside??

Mine sleep outside and then I store it in the garage. That seems back to front but how it is! :laughing:

helenlc
27-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh dear. I am bidding on one on Ebay. I dont normally want to get outbid but maybe I do with this one!! Lol

I got outbid - phew!!

balloon
27-09-2009, 05:29 PM
If you'd won it, maybe you could have crammed baby in diagonally, lol! ;)

Seriously though I'm glad I managed to save somebody else making the same mistake I did.

Blackhorse
27-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I was told i couldn't get my upstairs registered unless i didn't us my cupboard under the stairs - and its the only cupboard in the whole house. I would need to be emptied and locked. Then a smoke and heat detector fitted in the bed room along with a monitor to listen to the child. Too much hassle just for nap time. I use permission slips asking where parents want children to nap and CCO was keen on the parental choice. I think i'll stick to down stairs where i can see and hear the children at least i know they're safe and sound.

B :littleangel:

yeah I think some CCOs are very funny about getting upstairs rooms registered. not sure why that is.
I found it all a bit OTT when I got registered and then chose not to do it.