PDA

View Full Version : fell down stairs - need advice about baby

Helen79
25-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I fell down the stairs this morning while I was carrying my 5month old mindee.

I fell backwards so could have fallen on her left leg as she was on my hip.

I've written it up as an incident.
Baby seems ok, a bit unsettled but she's got a cold.
I've checked her over & there's no marks or bruises.

I'm only worried as my friend's toddler fell off the bed & broke her wrist, she didn't cry, there were no marks & they didn't realise she had broken it until the next day whe she tried to crawl on it.

Do I need to ring mum to get her checked at the gps?

Tired
25-09-2009, 08:41 AM
i would call mum straight away and ask her to take her to GP or walk in clinic. you need to make sure she is ok, and to cover yourself.

Straws
25-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I would ring mum and tell her what has happened and that baby seems fine no marks, bruises etc, and go from there.

Straws xx

Twinkle
25-09-2009, 08:44 AM
To cover yourself I would ring mum, tell her what happened and tell her you are taking little one to a walk in centre to get her checked over.

caroljayne
25-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I think if it was me I would phone parent's and explain whats happened, say there are no obvious marks and baby seems ok. Ask if they would feel happier to collect and get baby checked at gp's or if they are happy for you to monitor her careully throughout the day.

You can then record in your accident book that you called parents and the outcome of the conversation.

little miss chatterbox
25-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Poor you, are you ok??

agree with the above and call mum to see what she wants to do
but make sure you are ok too, you are probably shook up and may be hurt too.

mama2three
25-09-2009, 08:51 AM
agree with carolj - and are you ok yourself?

Blackhorse
25-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I think if it was me I would phone parent's and explain whats happened, say there are no obvious marks and baby seems ok. Ask if they would feel happier to collect and get baby checked at gp's or if they are happy for you to monitor her careully throughout the day.

You can then record in your accident book that you called parents and the outcome of the conversation.

that's what I would do...
and as a parent I think if I couldnt see any marks or the baby is not upset i would be ok with just monitoring I think...as it is probably not likely that she is really hurt without showing signs of pain (I know it can sometimes happen just dont think it is very likely)....but sometimes pain can come on a bit later so make sure whoever has the baby is monitoring properly for the next hours...unless a gp has a checkover anyways..

hope you and baby are ok!!

I had a big fright while I was pregnant (8+ months ) as I fell down the stairs...I had the biggest bruise I ever had but that wasnt what worried me...it was the fact that my dd's head was already engaged and far down...and it was exactly that region that got the most of the fall...so I phoned NHS24 straight away for advice!! Luckily all was well

Helen79
25-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm fine thanks, my back's a bit bruised but fine.

Managed to kick my ds off the bottom step as I fell so feel terrible.

I've rang mum & she's happy for me to monitor her throughout the day.

angeldelight
25-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm fine thanks, my back's a bit bruised but fine.

Managed to kick my ds off the bottom step as I fell so feel terrible.

I've rang mum & she's happy for me to monitor her throughout the day.

Thats good news

Glad you are both ok Helen

Angel xx

sarah707
25-09-2009, 09:06 AM
If mum decides to take the baby to the Doc or hospital this weekend to get her checked over, then you will need to inform Ofsted and take advice about letting Riddor know as well.

Hope you are ok Helen! xx

mandy moo
25-09-2009, 09:24 AM
If mum decides to take the baby to the Doc or hospital this weekend to get her checked over, then you will need to inform Ofsted and take advice about letting Riddor know as well.

Hope you are ok Helen! xx

Hope your both Ok,
If that were me I think Id be going to the Dr/Walk In route, just to be on the safe side.
I would feel awful if the little one had hurt it self although nothing was visable, and I hadnt seen the Dr just in case.
Especially so as the child wasnt mine.
But then thats me and just my opinion:D

The Juggler
25-09-2009, 12:29 PM
poor you! I would definately advise mum to get baby checked over in any case - as hairline fractures etc can't always be detected.

helenlc
25-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I think if I couldnt see any marks or the baby is not upset i would be ok with just monitoring I think...as it is probably not likely that she is really hurt without showing signs of pain (I know it can sometimes happen just dont think it is very likely

I dont wish to alarm you but my son broke his wrist 2 years ago - he was 9 so able to tell me whether it really hurt or not. He did it Wednesday evening, no marks, no swelling or obvious injury - Thursday he moaned a little but nothing major, again no swelling or marks - Friday morning it was badly swollen and deformed looking. Took him to A and E and he had broken his wrist! Dr reassured me that it was normal for swelling to come up in green stick fractures 24-48 hours after. I was feeling like a really bad mother!!:blush:

I would call LOs Mum, explain what happened and ask her what she wants to do next. But I would suggest a visit to some sort of medical professional especially as baby is not able to tell you about any pain and where any pain might be. Also, as she has a cold, it might be hard to tell if she is grizzly and unsettled because of the cold or any injury she may have suffered.

Hope you are ok and all is well with LO.

katickles
25-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Hope your all ok :)

Helen79
25-09-2009, 04:32 PM
My back is so sore now after pushing double pushchair & bending down to change nappies all day. Gonna try & rest it over the weekend but doubt I'll get chance to :rolleyes:
Gin & tonic might help tonight :)

Baby was fine all day, I mentioned to mum at drop off about how injuries don't often show any marks & to keep an eye over the weekend.

miffy
25-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm glad the baby's OK

Arnica is really good for bruising - hope your back isn't too sore

G&T sounds an excellent idea :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

fun house
25-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I did this when my daughter was 9 months old and as she was on my hip i landed on her leg and broke it. She cried a little and was then fine i was surprised when the hospital said it was broke.

Pipsqueak
25-09-2009, 08:04 PM
ouch poor you - are you ok?

hope baby is ok too?

I done this when i was carrying Harry downstairs when he was 11months old, his foot went under my bum and of course took my full falling weight.

Helen79
26-09-2009, 09:23 AM

If I go to the the doctors about my injury, do I need to inform ofsted? I may need to go on Monday as it's getting worse & my legs are hurting aswell now.

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh no poor you. Hope every thing is ok and you are feeling better soon.
Hvae you contacted mum today to see how baby is. Hope she ok too x