PDA

View Full Version : Can I use daily diary as my observations?

claireodon
24-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Have had 1 mindee for a couple of weeks now and during that time I have used daily diary to record things he has been doing e.g. trying to crawl, things he likes, how he engages with activities I have provided. Can I use these as my observations or do I have to have separate sheets?

Andrea08
24-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Yes you can esp if you link the activity with the area of learning and development.

BUT

if the diary gets lost you have no record of obs!!!

so i do both diarys for parents and obs sheets (that go in child's learning file)
for me that is shared about 6 times a yr with the parents or when they are interested!!!

Daisy1956
24-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I do something similar children like to look at daily diary as well and sometimes they get a bit tatty looking I dont mind this not sure about ofsted though

miffy
24-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes you can, you still need to link to eyfs and show next steps though.

Miffy xx

v 1461
25-09-2009, 10:25 AM
hello,

I do write a lot in daily diary about the day/ activities/ progress.
I sometimes do obs as well on special sheet but I don't do planning.
I hope the diary will be enough to show the parents all the planning of the day.
good luck

Ripeberry
25-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I have a daily diary and I've been putting photo's in it as well. It usually talks about mindee's day, what he ate, when he slept, how many nappies..that kind of thing.
I was getting worried about the diary getting lost so I 'borrowed it' and scanned all the pages so I don't lose all the information as my mindee has changed loads since starting with me.
Learning to walk and starting to talk now! :)
I've just got to sit down with my obs that I've been taking and actually do the linking. I just can't print anything at the moment as I can't find the right ink cartridge for my printer and they cost £20! :eek:

Mrs Argyle
25-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I am thinking of using mine as the child's individuel planning and along side activities putting a sticker with a colour corresponding to the area of learning.
but yes, not sure about parents returning it.

Saranotts
25-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I do my diaries on the laptop which is always close by and on. I can then easily add photo's in and put a copy of any formal obs I do in it. It also means that I can print off a page to give to the parents without having to worry that I haven't got a copy as well. Oh that and my hand writing leaves a lot to be desired:blush: and I would prefer it that they thought I had written it and not my 7 year old.

Sara

Trouble
25-09-2009, 04:55 PM
i do this and ofsted loved it:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Allie
25-09-2009, 04:56 PM
There are lots of ways of doing it guys! Ofsted let us find are own way so find one that suits you

Allie